PDA

View Full Version : Lest we forget...

RaceGrrl
12-07-03, 10:33 PM
... Dec 7th: the "Day that shall live in infamy."

http://my.execpc.com/~dschaaf/dec7pic.gif

My thoughts are with those who served and sacrificed for this country on this day in 1941. My thoughts are also with those who are serving and sacrificing today. Thank you- I will not forget.

Kiwifan
12-07-03, 10:41 PM
Hmmm, last night they played Tora, Tora, Tora, the docu on the History channel. I have to tell you that four grown adults had to try very hard to stop the tears coming as the survivors told their tales. The stories of death and survival, heroism and courage. Remarkable.

The thing that surprised me was that there seemed to be no animosity from the American survivors (admittedly over 60 years later) toward the Japanese who attacked that day. Age may weary them but we should never forget.

Well done RaceGrrl.

Rusty.

cart7
12-08-03, 07:25 AM
If you're gonna play Tora,Tora,Tora, follow it up with Midway. That'll raise the pulse level some and I've never cheered so much as each bomb from the dive bombers found it's mark on one of the Japanese carriers. :)

RTKar
12-08-03, 10:46 AM
It amazes me what that generation did without a second thought. I had a great uncle who had been in the Navy in the early to mid 30's but had left to play baseball. The day after Pearl Harbor, he signed back up and within weeks was on a ship in the Pacific, later to find himself as a corpsman on Guadalcanal. As he stated it, dog tags were put into a helmet and volunteers were drawn to see who would be left behind on the Guadalcanal. That generation is passing away at a rapid pace but I hope the memory of them and what they did won't.