PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

DjDrOmusic
12-04-03, 04:48 PM
OK, here's the problem, I've been at Woo Doggies every Thursday night for over a year now, playing a wide variety of music, everything from Buddy Holly to Alabama and 50 Cent. In that time we have attracted a very diverse crowd with many regulars who ONLY go to Woo Doggies. Everyone has fun and the younger people are actually learning to appreciate the music that paved the way all these years and it's not uncommon to see 21 year olds dancing with 50 year olds, sort of like a weekly wedding reception, without the bouquet, garder and obnoxious cousin who ruins the whole thing. Well, as some of you know, Woo Doggies has had a change in ownership where one of the minority owners is now the majority owner. The new powers that be have hired a family member who professes to know how to run a bar, and I have no reason to doubt them, however, this person wants me to play nothing but Hip Hop! I have tried to defend my position by showing the sales numbers, which unbelieveably Thursday is the most successful night for them, and I have shown them the publicity that I have been able to garner for them. Hip Hop, in my opinion, will destroy what has been built, and will not attract anymore people, as there are many other places that play it exclusively. The new manager dosen't want to hear it though, she believes we can take customers away from the downtown clubs. So my problem, do I stay, make the change in music and then be blamed for the customer count falling or do I leave now and find another place that will allow me the freedom to taylor the music to the crowd? :confused:

mapguy
12-04-03, 05:56 PM
Got two words for ya Doc. Bee Gees.

Wheel-Nut
12-04-03, 06:53 PM
Is the new owners last name George?

Ankf00
12-04-03, 06:55 PM
ugh, top 40 hip hop exclusivity...

I HATE clubs in the US for that reason alone.

nz_climber
12-04-03, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Wheel-Nut
Is the new owners last name George?

my thoughts exactly!!!!

:rolleyes:

EDIT: ps/ the occasional hip hoppity song is ok but not all night!!

RichK
12-04-03, 07:32 PM
Make sure every one of the owners knows your position, and back it up with numbers (sounds like you are on top of this already). When they start to see their profits tank, pay them a visit again.

Lizzerd
12-04-03, 08:02 PM
I was gonna say exactly what RichK just said, but he beat me to it.

Or, you could try to persuade management to do a sort of poll. Maybe some 3x5 cards on the tables. I'm no advertising or marketing person (and I don't play one on TV), but you you could ask questions like...

1. Do you like the wide variety of music played here? Yes/No.

2. If no, what would you prefer? Then list some genres, multiple choices accepted. Don't get too specific or list too many options because too long a list could become tedious for the patrons to select and for management to intrepret the results.

3. Would you be more or less likely to come here if any of the genres was played exclusively? List the same categories with a Yes/No option.

3. Maybe add a place for the patrons to add their own thoughts.

Worth a try, maybe...

DjDrOmusic
12-04-03, 08:17 PM
Yes Rich, I have a fully loaded file of facts and figures to support what I am doing, and Lizzerd, I LIKE that idea, think I'll test it out tonight! :cool:

Ankf00
12-04-03, 08:21 PM
:thumbup: for lizzerd's idea

flobee1kenobi
12-04-03, 11:10 PM
I don't know what type of people are around that general area, but down here in dayton, a lot of the bars in the Oregon District decided to play more rap music. It drew a bigger crowd...but the wrong crowd.
It seems that when they started to play songs about thugs,G's and ho's, guess who showed up? Yes-they spent a lot of money, but they caused a lot of trouble too! The Oregon District has become a pretty rough place(it was a little rough to begin with, but now it's getting out of hand)
I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but it could, and it has happened here. Just be aware from week to week the regulars vs. newcomers ratio and the newcomers behavior.

And no,Woo Doggies will not draw people away from downtown clubs-sorry, diffrent atmosphere completely.

Cam
12-04-03, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by RichK
Make sure every one of the owners knows your position, and back it up with numbers (sounds like you are on top of this already). When they start to see their profits tank, pay them a visit again.

Unfortunately after taking this course of action your biusness will not come back...... Witness the IRL...

DjDrOmusic
12-05-03, 05:46 AM
WOW, I never knew I was so well liked by everybody else that works there! The new bar manager was basically told by the others that they would walk if the music was changed. I sat back and listened as the servers, bartenders and even the doorman told her she was insane to mess with a working formula. Even the students/servers who always ask for me to slip in a hip hop song here or there, stood their ground and said they didn't want to have their tips disappear because of a music change. The other owners spoke up and told the bar manager that what had worked downtown and in the campus area, wouldn't work in the suburbs where the people go to get away from that stuff! Long story short, no changes....for now.

Turn7
12-05-03, 08:59 AM
If you don't need the gig and you are no longer enjoying it, tell them to stuff it.

If you need it, play the game and do as told while actively searching for another opportunity to fill the void.

It's their bar and they call the shots. Be aware that everyone else will be blamed for the failure if it goes as you predict and you will hit the chopping block first, then the bartender, then the waitstaff. New owners are never at fault for failing business, it is always blamed on "unloyal" personel. By the time they go the gamut and fire and hire and blame everyone but themselves, the bank is usually calling them on the carpet for the note and the doors shut.

Ziggy
12-05-03, 11:42 AM
Set up a Meth Lab

Ziggy

Ankf00
12-05-03, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Set up a Meth Lab

Ziggy

but it's not Oklahoma!

cart7
12-05-03, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
WOW, I never knew I was so well liked by everybody else that works there! The new bar manager was basically told by the others that they would walk if the music was changed. I sat back and listened as the servers, bartenders and even the doorman told her she was insane to mess with a working formula. Even the students/servers who always ask for me to slip in a hip hop song here or there, stood their ground and said they didn't want to have their tips disappear because of a music change. The other owners spoke up and told the bar manager that what had worked downtown and in the campus area, wouldn't work in the suburbs where the people go to get away from that stuff! Long story short, no changes....for now.

:thumbup: Good deal. I was gonna agree with flobee1, they'd may have increased business alright, but all the wrong kind of customers.