PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to Tony George.

mapguy
12-03-03, 03:35 PM
Dear Tony-

Why? Why did you do it? I became a fan of IndyCar racing back in the late '80s. Back then the series was growing in leaps and bounds. Major sponsorships were coming on board on a yearly basis, as were manufacturers. There was only a token wanker or two in the field (as opposed to the whole field.) Even reigning F1 World Champs looked at racing here. Attendance, even on ovals, was booming. There was exciting, (relatively) safe racing. IndyCar racing had both the Frances and Bernie getting nervous.

Then you came along. A track owner. An inherited one at that. You did nothing to make Indy great in the late '80s/early '90s. All you had to do was open the gates and you made a big profit. But that wasn't good enough for you, was it? You wanted it all. All because your Father ran IndyCar racing (and almost ran it into the ground) in the late 70's. Just because the C^RT Team Owners didn't genuflect in front of you and kiss your feet and give you absolute control you pulled a hissy fit. What made matters worse were the lies you told to justify your 'little' tantrum.

Now look at the mess you made. You split the fan base. Split the car count and killed oval attendance. Killed TV ratings. You even killed the legendary Indy 500. Good job.

If you think that killing C^RT will solve your problems, think again. The majority of C^RT fans detest you and will never watch anything that is run by yourself. So if you think that the ratings and attendance are going to improve you have a lot to learn. Think that running races in Canada and Mexico are going to help solve the problems? Think again. Canadians and Mexicans know a turd when they see one.

In closing I would like to quote a friend of mine:

My choice in North American racing doesn't have to be open wheel.

My choice in Open Wheel racing doesn't have to be North American.

You have won nothing.

Back in the early '90s I didn't think that anything could stop, or screw up IndyCar racing. Thanks for proving me wrong. Well done Tony, I hope you are happy.

Sincerely,

David (mapguy) Scott

FTG
12-03-03, 04:11 PM
May as well cross post my response

I keep telling people,

if your father was shot after the Indy 500, and your mother kept sleeping with the man who shot your father, and your mother made you watch every Indy 500 sitting beside the man who shot your father, you'd make insane decisions about the Indy 500 too.

And if you'd inherited more money than you could snort up your nose in a lifetime, you wouldn't care how much money you lost because of your insane decisions about the Indy 500.

(And if your son grew up fatherless because you were a clueless slut, you'd feel so guilty about it that you'd let your son lose all the money he wants.)

lone_groover
12-03-03, 04:18 PM
:thumbup: :flame: :thumbup:

JT265
12-03-03, 06:23 PM
Like I said, GREAT letter!!! :thumbup:

cart7
12-04-03, 12:30 AM
Thanks mappy, great letter. :thumbup:

DaveL
12-04-03, 01:18 AM
Consider me a co-signer, Mapguy. Great job :thumbup:

flobee1kenobi
12-04-03, 12:34 PM
Consider me a co-signer, Mapguy. Great job

The 500 was what every racer WORLWIDE wanted to run and win
The 500 was the HIGHEST level of racing - PERIOD
The 500 was the reason for my intrest in racing
The 500 was the showcase for cutting edge technology that could win a race by mere inches

The 500 was.....but not any more.
Thanks to you!TG You have succeded in ruining the Greatest Spectacle In Racing Since 1911
AND YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN!

SID
12-12-03, 07:30 PM
Another Open Letter:

TG,

FU,

S

racer2c
12-12-03, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by SID
Another Open Letter:

TG,

FU,

S

:D

rabbit
12-13-03, 12:05 AM
Anyone who doesn't think Tony George ruined open-wheel racing is either blind, stupid, or both (i.e. registered CrackForum members).

Lizzerd
12-13-03, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by rabbit
Anyone who doesn't think Tony George ruined open-wheel racing is either blind, stupid, or both (i.e. registered CrackForum members).

Ding! Ding! Ding!!!! Sums up mappy's great letter in 25 words or less. It's no wonder you write for a living, rabbit.

Sean O'Gorman
12-13-03, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
It's no wonder you write for a living, rabbit.

I don't know about that, how many journalists do you know who could get away with 25 word columns? ;)

Lizzerd
12-13-03, 12:54 AM
Well, you have a point there, Sean. But rabbit would probably agree that succinctness is key to cramming more thoughts in less space. :D

rabbit
12-13-03, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
But rabbit would probably agree that succinctness is key to cramming more thoughts in less space. :D Tru' dat. It can be a lot of fun trying to describe a double-overtime league championship game in just 12-15 column-inches.

Chaos
12-18-03, 12:12 AM
*deleted*