PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Silly Season

jonovision_man
11-30-03, 07:41 PM
What teams/drivers are we looking at for 2004?

I was using this as a reference:
http://www.racebyrace.com/future/cartteams2004.phtml

From the look of it, it's a barren wasteland.

For drivers, they have the following as confirmed:
Adrián Fernández
Paul Tracy
Patrick Carpentier

Yipee, the owner-driver and the series owner's team's drivers.
:rolleyes:

Is this really all that's confirmed? Feb 2004 isn't *that* far away...

jono

Railbird
11-30-03, 08:10 PM
Nothing, including 2004, is "confirmed" yet.

no sense worrying about car count, or field quality, until you know for sure you have a series.

Dec 19

RaceGrrl
11-30-03, 08:29 PM
Right, you are, Railbird. I'm sure that there's been plenty of discussion, but few will want to make any official announcements until the series sale is completed. It will be a nice Christmas gift to the fans to get the announcement on Dec 19th.

Railbird
11-30-03, 09:06 PM
yep

If/when the vote goes through I think you will see a big up-tick in confirmed entries, then, hopefully, the new owners will spread around enough cash/optimism to fill in the gaps.

If everything goes as some have it planned they are in better shape entry-wise than they were at this time last year.

Now if the vote tanks and they have to go to plan B, who knows?

nrc
11-30-03, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
If everything goes as some have it planned they are in better shape entry-wise than they were at this time last year.

If worse comes to worst Gerry probably has a few old Reynards lying around.

I hope we don't have to find out what plan B is. The only way it makes sense for Vaninni to actually vote against the buyout is if he thinks Forsythe and Co. will still save the series even without it.

I don't think they will. They'll start something separate and run an abbreviated season on their own first. Then they'll pick up the pieces they want when CART goes under. They may have to fight the IRL for a couple of choice morsels, but Gerry will do that before he spends his own money for the benefit of the other shareholders.

RTKar
11-30-03, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
yep

If/when the vote goes through I think you will see a big up-tick in confirmed entries, then, hopefully, the new owners will spread around enough cash/optimism to fill in the gaps.

Entries yes, But with solid sponsors? How's does one go about presenting a sponsorship proposal when you're not sure of the series existence. While on the other hand, why would a sponsor set aside funds for a series not on the most solid of ground? I picture a lower car count with funded drivers next year, unless of course contracts are written with sponsors and drivers with every contingency in mind. Although the economy seems to be improving , I don't expect corporate purse strings to open up to fully fund 16-20 rides.

jonovision_man
12-01-03, 10:33 AM
It was very ambitious of them to schedule St. Pete's for Feb 22, that will prove to be a big mistake. I understand they couldn't move the date, but the penalty of scrambling to form a grid for Feb will be steep.

Long Beach in April is much more feasible, it would seem.

It's pretty unreasonable of them to expect all these team owners, drivers, and crew to throw it all together in such a short time. I know it more-or-less worked out last year, but at least we had *some* confirmed teams and such early on.

jono

tllips
12-01-03, 05:39 PM
I'm hoping that there are a number of confirmed teams that we just aren't hearing about. The more optimism before Dec 18, the better the chances of Vanini and friends voting down the buyout proposal. I believe that there is an unofficial gag order on all of the owners at this point. (At least I hope that is the case :D )

Railbird
12-01-03, 07:54 PM
But with solid sponsors?

Not many, if any, more than we're seeing right now IMO. It's way too late to secure anything other than minor deals and I can't really see anything major holding off just to see if the series survives. It's going to take some ride buys and a little welfare from KK and Forsythe to make a go of it imo.

As far as the opening date goes I figure with the teams already in place it doesn't make much difference, there were a couple "wet paint" teams at St Pete last year.

It's all just babbling guesses for the next three weeks, and if/when the sale goes through it will be two weeks into January before we will have a clue as to what the field will look like.

Railbird
12-01-03, 08:07 PM
LOL

Looks like the powers that be didn't share my thoughts on the opener.

pchall
12-01-03, 09:12 PM
Derrick Walker seems to be making some plans for 2004:

Dalziel to test for Walker (http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=142835&SN=CART)

"Scottish racer set for Sebring Test

Scottish racing's hottest prospect Ryan Dalziel, runner up in the US-based 2003 CART Toyota Atlantic Championship, looks set to reach the upper echelons of motorsport courtesy of a maiden Champ Car test with Walker Racing at Sebring Raceway, Florida on 10-11 December."

Gosh, and this is scheduled to take place before the buy out...

Ziggy
12-01-03, 11:43 PM
I was told today by someone in the know that there will be a racing season of CART in 2004....... details coming soon....

Ziggy

Kiwifan
12-02-03, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up Zippy, appreciate it. :)

It's funny, given all the troubled times past and ahead I still believe we have the best OW racing series around. Call me a blind fool or optimist but I can't wait ....:) :)

Rusty.

jonovision_man
12-02-03, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by jonovision_man
It was very ambitious of them to schedule St. Pete's for Feb 22, that will prove to be a big mistake. I understand they couldn't move the date, but the penalty of scrambling to form a grid for Feb will be steep.

Long Beach in April is much more feasible, it would seem.

It's pretty unreasonable of them to expect all these team owners, drivers, and crew to throw it all together in such a short time. I know it more-or-less worked out last year, but at least we had *some* confirmed teams and such early on.

jono

Problem solved! :-)

This give them a lot more time to work things out.

jono