PDA

View Full Version : Congress has nothing better to do

RaceGrrl
11-27-03, 10:42 PM
I read an article in the paper today which covered the bills recently passed by the 108th Congress. The article mentioned that Congress is congratulating Grand Am, NASCAR and the NHRA. I got a little pissed off, and wondered how much ISC paid for that little piece of legislation.

So, like any good scholar, I started to research this, and it turns out that it wasn't only ISC racing that was recognized. The congratulatory measure recognizes all racing in the US, and since they are listed alphabetically, CART was first on the list. I can't get a link to the actual text of the legislation to work, so here it is:

To recognize the evolution and importance of motorsports.

Whereas on March 26, 1903, an automotive race was held on a beach in Volusia County, Florida, inaugurating 100 years of motorsports;

Whereas 100 years later, motorsports are the fastest growing sports in the country;

Whereas races occur at hundreds of motorsport facilities in all 50 States;

Whereas racing fans can enjoy a wide variety of motorsports sanctioned by organizations that include Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART), Grand American Road Racing (Grand Am), Indy Racing League (IRL), International Motorsports Association (IMSA), National Association for Stock Car Automobile Racing (NASCAR), National Hot Rod Association (NHRA), Sports Car Club of America (SCCA), and United States Auto Club (USAC);

Whereas the research and development of vehicles used in motorsports have directly contributed to improvements in safety and technology for the automobiles and motor vehicles used by hundreds of millions of Americans;

Whereas 13,000,000 fans will attend NASCAR races alone in 2003;

Whereas fans of all ages spend days at motorsport facilities participating in a variety of interactive theme and amusement activities surrounding races;

Whereas motorsport facilities that provide these theme and amusement activities contribute millions of dollars into local economies;

Whereas motorsports make a significant contribution to the national economy; and

Whereas tens of millions of people in the United States enjoy the excitement and speed of motorsports every week: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the Senate recognizes the evolution of motorsports and honors those who have helped create and build this great American pastime.

In the same vein, there were bills of recognition for OSU winning last year's National Championship, and another which seeks to congratulate Ohio State and Michigan on their 100th football game. That same bill would vote theirs as the greatest sports rivalry in history. Of course, the bill is sponsored by representatives from Ohio and Michigan.

You can do your own bill search here: 108th Congress (http://thomas.loc.gov/bss/d108query.html)

nrc
11-27-03, 11:57 PM
I can see the press pulling out NASCAR as notable, but Grand American? Must have been an ISC press release.