PDA

View Full Version : Dave Despain and Eddie Gossage might want to take a look at this

rabbit
11-26-03, 01:42 PM
I was perusing the Oct. 20, 2003 issue of Sports Illustrated yesterday. On pages 8-9 in the "Leading Off" section is a big photo of Kenny Brack's crash. In the photo there is clearly debris on the spectator side of the fence. Yet Gossage said and Despain repeated that this was not the case, even going so far as to castigate Robin Miller for saying it was so. I would love to show you the picture, but I am at present scanner-less. If someone else has a copy of it and a scanner, or is feeling ambitious enough to run down to the library and pick up a copy, feel free to post it.

JoeBob
11-26-03, 01:59 PM
You need to parse Gossage's words carefully. He said that nothing significant landed in the "spectator area." Some have taken those words to mean that significant nothing landed on the other side of the catch fencing - which is untrue.

A few large pieces clearly landed on the other side of the fence, and in the tunnel leading to the gate - but supposedly didn't make their way to the seats themselves. You can clearly see those chunks in the videos of the crash on this page: http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/fanfest/video.php

rabbit
11-26-03, 02:44 PM
There is one piece that appears to be a halfshaft or suspension arm or something like that a good 5-6 rows up in the stands. I don't know about you, but a suspension arm traveling 220 mph towards my head would be "significant" debris.

FTG
11-26-03, 02:44 PM
I don't think he considers empty seats to be "spectator area."

After all, there are no spectators there.

JoeBob
11-26-03, 02:50 PM
That isn't the "spectator area" either! Ya see... they don't sell tickets in the first 10 rows for IRL events. ;)

rabbit
11-26-03, 02:52 PM
I guess I don't speak bull s*** well enough to translate properly. :)

RichK
11-26-03, 02:56 PM
Gossage is such a slimeball.

RedLine
11-26-03, 03:48 PM
And this is CART-related how?:confused:

Turn7
11-26-03, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by RedLine
And this is CART-related how?:confused:

Stickybaby, you bucking for a mod job?

rabbit
11-26-03, 04:08 PM
My bad. Wasn't paying attention. Morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

pchall
11-26-03, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
There is one piece that appears to be a halfshaft or suspension arm or something like that a good 5-6 rows up in the stands. I don't know about you, but a suspension arm traveling 220 mph towards my head would be "significant" debris.

Parker Johnstone will agree with that.

Kiwifan
11-26-03, 05:27 PM
Now it's CART related. ;) *

Sorry to make light of your post rabbit, you bring up a legitimate point I think. Some people only see what they want to see and tell you that accordingly. Shame on them.

Rusty.

* Parker Johnstone. :)

RTKar
11-26-03, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by rabbit

Isn't that what did in Senna?... a suspension piece..."significant".....:saywhat:......