PDA

View Full Version : What is the most overrated part of Thanksgiving?

JoeBob
11-25-03, 11:45 AM
Okay. Call me the grinch, but I have to say that Thanksgiving is by far, the most overrated holiday. Its sole redeeming quality is that you get two days off from work instead of the usual one.

Here's the question: What part of Thanksgiving is the most overrated?

Ankf00
11-25-03, 11:59 AM
freaking specialty dishes :mad:

and family friends keep having weddings on tnxgiving so I haven't had a turkey meal in 3 years or something :flame: quit having weddings with crappy catered food so I can eat my bird!

mmmm, tryptophan...
http://home.engr.utexas.edu/patelaa/pictures/homerdrool.gif

Sean O'Gorman
11-25-03, 12:24 PM
Oops, I read the poll wrong and voted for turkey...I should've voted for pumpkin pie.

Turn7
11-25-03, 12:29 PM
Turkey Day is the SHIZNITS!

Since I cook, I don't feel guilty leaving all the dishes to my wife and the rest of her family that come to our house while I exit stage left after dinner and go hunting, fishing or watch a football game.

indyfan31
11-25-03, 12:50 PM
Pumpkin Pie, that stuff is awful. You could plop a pound of Cool Whip on it and it wouldn't help.

Dirty Sanchez
11-25-03, 01:03 PM
I love Thanksgiving. Its my favorite nap of the year. ;)

chop456
11-25-03, 01:36 PM
The wife's family is WAY overrated. :D

anait
11-25-03, 01:52 PM
I chose Other - forced familial togetherness, especially imposed on young children who normally would not be expected to immediately bond with people they rarely see. :rolleyes: Personal space, people!!!

In terms of cooking, I love all traditional Thnxgiving dishes, as long as it's me or my mom doing the cooking. Our turkeys are luscious, our dressing is deelish - full of onions/mushrooms/butter/broth, our homemade cranberry relish will make a believer out of nearly anyone. And my garlic whipped potatoes are dreamy. My mom can't make pumpkin pie, though - she's never been good at pastry. But I'm a pastry queen!! :p :D It's a shame hubby doesn't like pie! :laugh:

When we go to my inlaws, however...the mashed potatoes are watery and unsalted, the gravy is low on flavour, the dressing has way too old herbs in it that taste like soap, and the turkey has been dried out beyond belief. And I would not eat pumpkin pie, or any kind of pie, at that meal.

Sheesh - I've turned into a food snob!!! :rofl:

rabbit
11-25-03, 02:25 PM
Thanksgiving is perhaps my favorite holiday of the year. The food is great and everything, but the best part is getting to see members of my family that I only get to see once a year. You can't put a price on that. :thumbup:

Lizzerd
11-25-03, 03:34 PM
I voted for Cranberry Sause. Horrid stuff.

I want to add Yams to the list, too. Never liked 'em, never will.

Pumpkin pie rocks!

Turn7
11-25-03, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
I voted for Cranberry Sause. Horrid stuff.

I want to add Yams to the list, too. Never liked 'em, never will.

Pumpkin pie rocks!

Lizzerd,

You need to make a trip down here to the south and we would change your mind about "sweet taters".

Especially when made into "sweet tater" pie. If you like pumpkin pie, you'd slap your mammie over a good southern sweet tater pie.

And y'all left out the Texas Pecan Pie, giblet gravy, deviled eggs, pickled okra, "hal-a-pener" jelly instead of cranberry sauce, english pea salad, dirty rice and garlic cheese biscuits.

Holy smokes, is it Thursday yet??????

Railbird
11-25-03, 07:05 PM
The only thing good about Thanksgiving is football.

Good Lord I hate the hollidays.

I agree with anait on the forced family get-together thing and I don't care for turkey or any of the traditional gruel that goes with it, if I want bird I'll hit the drive-thru at KFC. The only thing turkey day does for me is give me a head start on my bad mood for Christmans.

Bah freakin' Humbug

Turn7
11-25-03, 07:21 PM
If you hadn't peased off so many family members over the years with your positive and feastive holiday attitude, maybe Thanksgiving wouldn't be so bad.

:D :eek:

Lizzerd
11-25-03, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Lizzerd,

You need to make a trip down here to the south and we would change your mind about "sweet taters".

Especially when made into "sweet tater" pie. If you like pumpkin pie, you'd slap your mammie over a good southern sweet tater pie.

And y'all left out the Texas Pecan Pie, giblet gravy, deviled eggs, pickled okra, "hal-a-pener" jelly instead of cranberry sauce, english pea salad, dirty rice and garlic cheese biscuits.

Holy smokes, is it Thursday yet??????

Yams, "sweet taters", Sweet Potato(e)s, whatever you want to call them... I still don't like them. I'll try anything once or even three times. Could just be that my mammie don't know how to kook the stuff :) .

Texas Pecan Pie: :thumbup:
giblet gravey: sounds good!
deviled eggs :thumbup:
pickled okra: I'd try it, probably once.
"hal-a-pener" jelly: Sounds good.
english pea salad :saywhat:
dirty rice :thumbup:
garlic cheese biscuits :thumbup:

Ed_Severson
11-25-03, 08:12 PM
Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Cowboys yet. :eek:

Warlock!
11-25-03, 08:20 PM
I love everything about the holidays. Dunno why... must be the little kid in me.

And the fact that they're the few days each year my wife doesn't yell at me for cracking my first beer minutes after I wake, so I can relax in front of the TV with the kids and watch the parades.

Hardpoint
11-25-03, 09:30 PM
I love Thanksgiving. Its my favorite nap of the year.

Crapus hits the nail on the head. Nothing promotes healthy sleep like tryptophan and the Detroit Lions.

As far as the poll goes, The "forced" family get together is by far and away the worst part. I suppose there is a reason why I only see these people once a year.

Turn7
11-25-03, 10:10 PM
Don't know too much about the family thing at Thanksgiving. My wife and I both grew up at least 200+ miles from grandparents,cousins and aunts/uncles and never spent it with all of them.

Ziggy
11-25-03, 10:38 PM
I vote for the Detroit Lions

Ziggy

pchall
11-26-03, 08:17 AM
The Lions? Does Wayne Fontz still coach them?

I think NFL football is the most overrated part of Thanksgiving these days. They've abandoned the traditional matchups and just give up crap that the previous February might have looked like okay games in good tv markets.

cart7
11-26-03, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Railbird
The only thing good about Thanksgiving is football.

Good Lord I hate the hollidays.

I agree with anait on the forced family get-together thing and I don't care for turkey or any of the traditional gruel that goes with it, if I want bird I'll hit the drive-thru at KFC. The only thing turkey day does for me is give me a head start on my bad mood for Christmans.

Bah freakin' Humbug
My, racin season's been over for less than a month. Aren't we a bit cranky already. :D

Anyone know if Speed is showing anything tomorrow? I haven't been keeping up with any racing for the last few weeks.

JT265
11-26-03, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by anait
I chose Other - forced familial togetherness, especially imposed on young children who normally would not be expected to immediately bond with people they rarely see. :rolleyes: Personal space, people!!!

In terms of cooking, I love all traditional Thnxgiving dishes, as long as it's me or my mom doing the cooking. Our turkeys are luscious, our dressing is deelish - full of onions/mushrooms/butter/broth, our homemade cranberry relish will make a believer out of nearly anyone. And my garlic whipped potatoes are dreamy. My mom can't make pumpkin pie, though - she's never been good at pastry. But I'm a pastry queen!! :p :D It's a shame hubby doesn't like pie! :laugh:

When we go to my inlaws, however...the mashed potatoes are watery and unsalted, the gravy is low on flavour, the dressing has way too old herbs in it that taste like soap, and the turkey has been dried out beyond belief. And I would not eat pumpkin pie, or any kind of pie, at that meal.

Sheesh - I've turned into a food snob!!! :rofl:

Agree about the familial togetherness thing, but reading the rest of your post, I have a plan.

It would take about 22 hours of hard driving from the sylvan shores of the Bay of Quinte to hit your place, so I have one question:

What time do we eat? :laugh:

RaceGrrl
11-26-03, 10:34 AM
Thanksgiving at my parents' means smoked turkey with gravy, homemade noodles, mashed potates and sweet potatoes, green beans and either homemade yeast rolls or bread. Mom will make pumpkin pie, but I'd be happier with chocolate cake or brownies. I may have to make some kind of dessert.

We eat at 1pm.

JT265
11-26-03, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Thanksgiving at my parents' means smoked turkey with gravy, homemade noodles, mashed potates and sweet potatoes, green beans and either homemade yeast rolls or bread. Mom will make pumpkin pie, but I'd be happier with chocolate cake or brownies. I may have to make some kind of dessert.

We eat at 1pm.

So, if I left here at 6am and stood on it LARGE, I'd be on time!!!!

:D

JLMannin
11-26-03, 12:18 PM
I voted for "other"

Homemade stuffing is way overrated. As a kid, I used to nearly barf if I got soggy bread in my mouth - must have been a texture thing.

Stove top is orders of magnitude better.

Deep-fried whole turkey rules!!!

anait
11-26-03, 02:23 PM
JT, if you miss RaceGrrl's meal, gimme a call. I'll time the turkey just right! My kids would be thrilled to have moist turkey.

RaceGrrl, you made my mouth water with the 'smoked turkey'...mmmmm...smoked meat....

Okay, I'm officially hungry. This year, we celebrate with our American friends!! :thumbup:

(JLMannin, you can make homemade stuffing as good as StoveTop - which I do like!! - I'm sorry you had to suffer with sub-par dressing throughout your childhood. :( :D )

Racewriter
11-26-03, 06:28 PM
Turkey sucks.

Stuffing sucks.

Cranberries suck.

Pumpkin pie sucks.

And...

My wife loves turkey, stuffing, cranberries, and pumpkin pie.:eek::mad:

The good news is that my in-laws are moving into their new house on Thanksgiving, so I don't have to go see them.

I'm smoking a turkey breast (for her) and a sirloin roast (for me).

RaceGrrl
11-26-03, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by JT265
So, if I left here at 6am and stood on it LARGE, I'd be on time!!!!

:D

Sure... we're down I-71 to Columbus, take 270E to SR 23 South to Chillicothe. Should we set an extra place? ;)

JT265
11-26-03, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Sure... we're down I-71 to Columbus, take 270E to SR 23 South to Chillicothe. Should we set an extra place? ;)

Sure, i know Chillicothe well. Some of the best trucks I ever had were made there. I'm gonna be tied up tho', save me some leftovers, K? ;)

And Anait, as an equal-opportunity eater, your on too! :D

*looks for Air-Miles gas card*

Lizzerd
11-26-03, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm on the road in a few minutes for the obligatory trip to to the parent's place. Good thing my dad keeps a lot of beer in the fridge. On the menu tonight: marathon euchre till we're all too drunk to count the dots on the cards.