PDA

View Full Version : Hey cone dodgers!

Railbird
11-23-03, 10:35 PM
Check it out (http://www.autoworldforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=135189#post135189)

pchall
11-23-03, 11:41 PM
Holy cow!

And behind that Panoz is what appears to be a tub Porsche sold to Interscope...
but it should be black as I remember it (unless they retrofitted with a turbocharged flat-6 to be in the form that gave Penske the willies when Porsche showed it to him...)

Sean O'Gorman
11-24-03, 01:16 AM
That thing would do so horrible at my local track, half the time it seems like horsepower is the enemy on a small tight track. ;)

Still, that would be very cool to be corner working while that was out there!

RacinM3
11-24-03, 01:17 PM
The posters on that board seem surprised it didn't do that well. The car has two things going against it: 1 - it's size, and 2 - the fact that it's designed to use downforce to provide handling. Most auto-x tracks are 2nd and 3rd gear low speed tracks. The thing was probably a pig around those corners.

RichK
11-24-03, 03:14 PM
The splitter on that thing is an autocrosser's nightmare! I'm trying to think of a worse racecar to take to a parking lot.....

Ziggy
11-24-03, 06:04 PM
VPJ6, I'll bet one that was mercifully saved from the savage throttle trompings of one Mr. Danny Ongias. That is one cool car, and one that was quite effective in going fast. Im sure its a blast to drive, but would be better suited to some form of Historic's event

Ziggy

PS - Danny was great IMO

Railbird
11-24-03, 09:09 PM
That's what I'm talking about Zig.

I loved those old PJ16s, what a clean and purposeful piece, and to see it in the Porsche test-mule config is pretty cool. I figured both of those were cloisterd in one museum or another, but no, somebody that has my money is threatening cones with it,

I figure if that joker would give back my cash Mosport would be fitting venue for this thing to workout, maybe a piece or two were on board when Danny shredded the place back in the day.

pchall
11-24-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy

PS - Danny was great IMO

Thanks for the correct ID.

Danny On-the-Gas was, indeed, great. He made champcar racing very exciting until he started hitting the wall at Indy too often and too hard in the early 80s.