PDA

View Full Version : Post Thanksgiving Shopping

RaceGrrl
11-22-03, 07:23 PM
Early morning shopping on the Friday after Thanksgiving has become tradition for me and my mom. Be honest, have you or do you plan to get up early Friday to hit the stores?

nrc
11-22-03, 07:26 PM
I haven't, but now that you mention it, that might be a good time to pick up some bits and pieces to replace this old computer. If it can hang together that long. :P

manic mechanic
11-22-03, 07:36 PM
I'm just waiting on my older sister to link me to the "Black Friday" list(s) like she did last year.

I shopped for about 30 minutes last year and knocked out half my list (as well as buying a bunch of stuff for me!).

BTW nrc, "Black Friday" is a pretty good time to score deals on new computer parts. I'll e-mail you the link once I get it.;)

manic

Ankf00
11-22-03, 08:15 PM
did it once when I was a kid, picked up a playstation, friends keep scoring phatty electronics at BestBuy and such... but will be heading up to College Station to hit up scalpers, could use a DVD tho... well, situations like that are why I love my mom :D ;)

Turn7
11-22-03, 08:20 PM
Shopping for Christmas gifts and such??? Heck no.

Stop in a store to buy ammo or fish bait?? Heck yes.

RTKar
11-22-03, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Shopping for Christmas gifts and such??? Heck no.

Stop in a store to buy ammo or fish bait?? Heck yes.

Bass Pro :thumbup: ...Mall :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
11-23-03, 12:58 AM
Hell no! The worst I've done was shopping the day after Christmas. I was still bored to death from the wisdom tooth surgery, so I went out and bought a Playstation 2 game at the mall. It took forever to find parking, so I'm glad I had nothing else to do that day. I wish I'd just rented the game (Pro Race Driver), I beat it in 5 days because I was stuck in the house with nothing going on.

TRDfan
11-23-03, 01:00 AM
Here is one Black Friday listing

http://blackfriday.everydeal.com/

I'll keep an eye out for more

Cam
11-23-03, 01:17 AM
I lock myself in that day! Its a really good bonding with my cats! :gomer:

mapguy
11-23-03, 06:52 AM
Any Christmas shopping that hasn't been done by November gets done online. I tried once to go shopping on Black Friday. Notice the word 'tried'. Never again.

DjDrOmusic
11-23-03, 09:40 AM
I went once....ONCE!!! Stood in line with my wife at 4 am waiting for Wal Mart to open and when it did I witnessed a an allout fist fight between to guys fighting over the last $3.00 Cabbage Patch Doll...while they were fighting, a woman walked up picked up the doll and walked away with it. NEVER AGAIN!!!:shakehead :shakehead :saywhat:

nissan gtp
11-23-03, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
Any Christmas shopping that hasn't been done by November gets done online. I tried once to go shopping on Black Friday. Notice the word 'tried'. Never again.

yep, internet shopping is where it's at !

you can get like, anything, online :rofl:

RaceGrrl
11-23-03, 12:58 PM
My tradition with Mom started out as a "let's just try this once" kind of thing. We originally planned it to have some time together, but we had so much fun that it became an annual mother-daughter outing.

The problem now is that all my brothers and their wives want to tag along, which defeats the purpose of mother-daughter time. My older brother is a shopping machine, and even I can't keep his pace.

Overall, I get 2/3 of my shopping done in one day, and I get quality time with my mother. It's worth the craziness for that.

rocket
11-23-03, 04:02 PM
I don't deal well with crowds...I like internet shopping, here's my number, ship it to my door Thank you very much:D

Warlock was in Chicago this weekend, and we made a trip downtown, Brit, myself and the 'lock family. It was a madhouse, I'm just glad we all made it out of the American Girl doll store alive.:thumbup:

fourrunner
11-23-03, 07:22 PM
I'm single, so when I go Christmas Shopping, I use the 1 for me, 1 for them method of shopping. That way I'm ensured of getting what I want for Christmas, and I stay interested in the process. Actually I sometimes do 2 for me, 1 for them! Hell sometimes I spend the whole day shopping and come home with just the stuff I bought for me.

But in the End it works out, and I definitely have a good Christmas!
and the others seem to appreciate what I bought them too! :)

mello
11-23-03, 07:23 PM
Work is going to pay me to sit and surf the internet for 8 hours. Why the heck we are not closed is beyond me but it is one of the easiest days of the year at work.

Joelski
11-23-03, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by fourrunner
I'm single, so when I go Christmas Shopping, I use the 1 for me, 1 for them method of shopping. That way I'm ensured of getting what I want for Christmas, and I stay interested in the process. Actually I sometimes do 2 for me, 1 for them! Hell sometimes I spend the whole day shopping and come home with just the stuff I bought for me.

But in the End it works out, and I definitely have a good Christmas!
and the others seem to appreciate what I bought them too! :) :thumbup:

I shop extensively for numero uno :D I don't have a lot of family to buy gifts for, so I throw a bargain my way too.

Ratattack
11-23-03, 08:24 PM
I have to work from 6 am to 6:30 pm. Not much time to bargain shop. It's like cattle call in all the malls out this way anyhow. I agree with rocket, you can get a whole heck of alot when shoppin' the internet..:cool:

nz_climber
11-23-03, 08:27 PM
Thanksgiving???? is this some canadian thing that we don't get down here??

:confused:

:D

RTKar
11-23-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by nz_climber
Thanksgiving???? is this some canadian thing that we don't get down here??

:confused:

:D

American Thanksgiving Tradition, The
guide to understanding the observance within historical context, and about the association of the Pilgrims with the Thanksgiving holiday. From Plimoth Plantation.
Category: United States > Thanksgiving History
www.plimoth.org/learn/history/thanksgiving/thanksgiving.asp - More pages from this site

Nah, I think they hijacked it from the states ;), they're celebrating that they aren't yanks...it's a day off work, you eat too much and then sit around and watch football.

DjDrOmusic
11-23-03, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Joelski
:thumbup:

I shop extensively for numero uno :D I don't have a lot of family to buy gifts for, so I throw a bargain my way too.

Well I don't want you to be left out of the excitement of shopping for others so I'll send my kids wish lists right away Joelski! Should only take a few thousand dollars to get everything! ;) :p

anait
11-23-03, 10:17 PM
Up here in Canada we had our Thanksgiving in October. :cool: So no nifty sales for me coming up anytime soon. However, Friday was hubby's work Christmas party, and we were very surprised to discover what the big employee gift was this year.......

Every employee received an Xbox. :eek: We nearly fell off our chairs. Can you imagine the bosses going through the Best Buy checkout with 20+ Xbox's in their carts??!! :D :thumbup: Came bundled with a Star Wars game and Tetris; and hubby and I each did a karaoke number, to win a Xbox karaoke microphone and another game - Wakeboarder, I think it's called.

We are so going to be the heroes on Christmas morning. :D

RHR_Fan
11-23-03, 10:37 PM
I won't be shopping, but I might go see a movie.

~Nicole

nrc
11-23-03, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by manic mechanic
BTW nrc, "Black Friday" is a pretty good time to score deals on new computer parts. I'll e-mail you the link once I get it.;)

Thanks. Now I can check those against what's up on newegg.com and decide whether there's anything worth venturing out at 6AM and braving crazed bargain hunting geeks.

manic mechanic
11-23-03, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Thanks. Now I can check those against what's up on newegg.com and decide whether there's anything worth venturing out at 6AM and braving crazed bargain hunting geeks.

nrc,

TRD's link is pretty good. This one may have a little more

http://www.quepons.com/blackfriday.html

good luck!

manic

IlliniRacer
11-24-03, 12:49 AM
No way in the world you would get me out there. My wife and her friend will be at the stores by 5am. I'll sit with kids all day and try and teach them some more bad habits. (I've already got my 2 year old to blame his flatulence on the dog.)

Lizzerd
11-24-03, 02:36 AM
What always scares me most about next Friday is if I might have to go out for something that I need NOW, for MYSELF.

Dirty Sanchez
11-24-03, 10:36 AM
I'll leave that Friday to the die-hards. All my shopping is done except for the wife anyway. Most everything purchased online. :thumbup:

cart7
11-24-03, 12:22 PM
I gotta work. :(

RTKar
11-24-03, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
What always scares me most about next Friday is if I might have to go out for something that I need NOW, for MYSELF.

What do you mean .............like beer?

Cam
11-24-03, 11:16 PM
Beer is an essential.... IF for some reason, unexpected family or friends show up on Thursday, and drank ones expected stock of beer,one would have to do a B double E double R U N to restock ones beer supply.

However, one would really hope that one can do the B double E double R U N without having to bummp into BFers..... After all, Its beer! :p

IlliniRacer
11-24-03, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
What do you mean .............like beer?

Why on God's green earth would you run out of beer?

RTKar
11-25-03, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by IlliniRacer
Why on God's green earth would you run out of beer?

I don't drink that much beer these days but sometimes it just happens.

Joelski
11-27-03, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
Well I don't want you to be left out of the excitement of shopping for others so I'll send my kids wish lists right away Joelski! Should only take a few thousand dollars to get everything! ;) :p

Ummmm, this is not Joelski. He left the country eh?

Tall1
11-27-03, 12:44 PM
My job requires me to cope with the crazy shoppers travelling to their favorite stores. They're in shopping mode while driving. For those of us who drive for a living, drinking and driving should be legal on Black Friday. Christmas.....bah, humbug!

rosawendel
11-27-03, 12:59 PM
from my vantage point, malls and big box retailers are something to avoid from now until mid-january.

manic mechanic
11-28-03, 08:16 PM
Same as last year...Left the house at 5:55AM, was back at 6:20 with 3 gifts off the list.

I'll agree that going to a mall is INSANE..That's why I use the "Black Friday" lists to the greatest possible advantage.

It's not hard to get what you are after if you know where to shop!:D

manic

Sean O'Gorman
11-29-03, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by rosawendel
from my vantage point, malls and big box retailers are something to avoid from now until mid-january.

So I take it you didn't get up early this morning to head out to legacy village? :rofl: You would have to be insane to do something like that!

Look at it this way, I've been outside most of the night at work scraping snow and ice off cars, and I'd still prefer it to shopping the day after Thanksgiving!

anait
12-01-03, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by manic mechanic
Same as last year...Left the house at 5:55AM, was back at 6:20 with 3 gifts off the list.

25 minutes total, shopping and driving? That was truly efficient, manic. :thumbup: :cool:

Dirty Sanchez
12-01-03, 12:37 PM
Went with the wife on Saturday. $150-$200 per hour for like 4-5 hours... ouch! Another $50 on pan pizza. And then I get "the call" and end up playing Texas hold 'em til 4am... lost another $150. ****! :mad:

flobee1kenobi
12-04-03, 11:35 PM
My story from the day after Thanksgiving as posted on CW

What was I thinking?

The Best Buy ad this morning had some too-good-to-be-true deals in it, so I decided to head out early. the ad said the sale was from 6-12 this morning(6hrs only) so I figure "how bad could it possibly be at 8am" Pulled down to the end of my street-not a single car in sight. I thought"NO PROBLEMO-nobody's even awake yet!" Got to the store and realized then, why there were no cars on the road-EVERY CAR IN THE CITY OF DAYTON WAS AT BEST BUY! and even at that point I wasn't awake enough yet to realize the hopelessness of the whole trip. I walk in the door and saw the sign-

Enter here to go to checkout-We have redesigned our store for today only. This checkout line will take you through every isle in the store, so enter here and you will eventually come across the product(s) you were looking for-on your way to the checkout counter
Sorry for the inconvenience
Best Buy

I looked up the lane and saw that I would have been there at least until closing time. It was at that exact moment I decided that all my shopping this year would be ON LINE!
------------
Online shopping RULES! Did all my shopping in a matter of hours, didn't encounter a single rude person, and was able to drink beers for the duration of my shopping trip
:laugh: