PDA

View Full Version : Myself, I watch...

racer2c
11-17-03, 04:41 PM
...real racing. Sure, I enjoy a variety of motorsport. Champ Cars, WRC, NHRA (years ago), F1 (of course), MOTOGP etc.

I've always been drawn to the Champ Cars as my series of choice because of many factors not just because of the variety of tracks that they race on, but the whole package. I always believed that Champ Cars were the epitome of 'real racing'. Real racing being defined by many things such as racing at the edge of adhesion. Testing the mettle of man and machine. Pushing the technology envelope to gain an advantage.

I've stayed away from racing that I perceive to be too manipulated for the sack of entertainment. That includes monster trucks (wink) NASCAR and the IRL.

My point being that I don't subscribe to this new mantra of "it's racing (speaking of the IRL), I might as well watch it."

TG could have done allot ot gain CART fans support from the very beginning. Instead he did everything wrong to alienate us. In return he can have his IRL and the few Indy 500 fans that go along with it.

CART may soon be a memory, ahhh, but what a memory she was, just like the 500.

rabbit
11-17-03, 05:02 PM
Great post. :thumbup:

Chitowncartfreak
11-17-03, 05:10 PM
Awesome post. Tony may think he's winning because he was able to win over certain owners, manufacturers, and drivers, but there was one thing that he will never have - the support of CART's fans, who are the most intelligent and loyal fans anywhere in motorsports.

Railbird
11-17-03, 05:23 PM
nice thoughts 2c

you goin down to St Pete?

RichK
11-17-03, 05:33 PM
The saying "It takes years to make a reputation, and a second to ruin one" applies for me.

I suddenly realized a few months ago why I wasn't watching NASCAR races or IRL races anymore. I used to watch about half of NASCAR races, and almost all of the IRL races.

I cut down my NASCAR-watching drastically after Dale Earnhardt was allowed to bump Terry Labonte, spin him, and then win a race at Bristol....on the last lap. I pretty much stopped watching after Dale's death; the coverup and blame placed on Bill Simpson really pissed me off.

The IRL....well, I watched their races. I usually taped them and fast forwarded through the inevitable rash of yellow flag laps. I haven't seen a lap since the I500 was stolen from Paul Tracy. I've taped a few, but never had the interest to watch the tape.

When NASCAR and the IRL lost all credibility, it only took that few seconds to forever turn this fan off.

Real racing only for me, thanks.

nz_climber
11-17-03, 05:47 PM
Real racing for me too :)

Can't stand the ugly crapwagons tony invented, how crank up the downforce and have no power, they just drone around in cirles all day long.. never watch NASCAR though

lone_groover
11-17-03, 08:24 PM
I'm with you, 2c. The I*L is an insult to my intelligence.

:thumbup:

pchall
11-17-03, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
The I*L is an insult to my intelligence.

Been there.
Done that.
Figured it out in 1997.

NASCAR went in the dumper in the mid 80s.
Not much real racing left. It's hard to be a fan at the end of a century of motorsports.

Ankf00
11-18-03, 12:11 AM
I used to watch NASCAR when I was really small, bout the same time I started watching CART, but then it just became worse and worse.

RacinM3
11-18-03, 12:29 AM
Real racing will be back soon.....SPEED's about to show the Runoffs.

Jag_Warrior
11-18-03, 01:09 AM
And yet there are some on the sports car boards who argue that the ACO/ALMS/Le Mans should make allowances for those P.O.S. tube frame hulks known as Daytona Prototypes.

Watch NASCAR! Watch the IRL! Why this bizarre need to f### everything up?! :flame:

pchall
11-18-03, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
And yet there are some on the sports car boards who argue that the ACO/ALMS/Le Mans should make allowances for those P.O.S. tube frame hulks known as Daytona Prototypes.

Watch NASCAR! Watch the IRL! Why this bizarre need to f### everything up?! :flame:

There are some who believe any racing is better than no racing. These folks accept NASCAR and Grand Am. Of course, there are still many who have standards for their motorsports entertainment and hold out for real racing and real sport. Unfortunately we are becoming an increasingly small minority.

Jonezzy_33
11-18-03, 12:02 PM
Going to the pitlane walkabout at the USGP has turned me against NASCAR pretty good. There's nothing like seeing the mechanics at Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Renault, Jaguar, etc. etc., working to build the race car for that weekend's race. :thumbup:

Whenever I watch NASCAR now I all of the sudden hear in my head...

ding ding ding...

on row 1...Kurtttttttttttttttttttttttttt Buschhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jay
11-19-03, 01:09 AM
Right now, I'm watching hockey...as there is no racing. I'll watch whatever road racing there is in 2004. F1, CART (or whatever it'll be called) and its feeder series, ALMS, Trans-Am, the Canadian Formula Ford Championship...Formula BMW if it comes to be.

Some good news today, the Canadian GP is back on! :thumbup: Book your tickets! :D

Ankf00
11-19-03, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by pchall
There are some who believe any racing is better than no racing. These folks accept NASCAR and Grand Am. Of course, there are still many who have standards for their motorsports entertainment and hold out for real racing and real sport. Unfortunately we are becoming an increasingly small minority.
elitist swine :p

jons
11-19-03, 09:22 PM
I have never been one to think that any racing is better than none. CART,F1, MotoGP, and WSB are about all I watch, except a World Rally now and then. Funny, I have tried to get into ALMS, but for some reason, I can't really get interested even though I find the cars incredible. I read that they will be at Portland this year, so I will go and see how it is.

Ratattack
11-19-03, 10:56 PM
Cart is not going to be a memory dude, It might change names, but it's still Champ Cars. Fark the IRL. We don't go in circles..

JLMannin
11-20-03, 12:34 PM
The one stance on the split that has always dumbfounded me is the "more is better" argument.

Granted, both champcars and crapwagons have open wheels and wings, and to the average non-racing fan, they may look indistinguishable.

Call me selfish, but I would rather have memories of how great the racing was in the early '90's and have a dead series than to have NASCAR without fenders.

More is not better.

racer2c
11-20-03, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by JLMannin
The one stance on the split that has always dumbfounded me is the "more is better" argument.

Granted, both champcars and crapwagons have open wheels and wings, and to the average non-racing fan, they may look indistinguishable.

Call me selfish, but I would rather have memories of how great the racing was in the early '90's and have a dead series than to have NASCAR without fenders.

More is not better.

Agreed.