PDA

View Full Version : WRC: Burns out for the 2005 season after diagnosis

JohnHKart
11-17-03, 11:24 AM
This is very sad but I hope the treatment is successful. What a bummer!!!!!!!

JH

(From Autosport)

Burns diagnosed with brain tumour
Briton forced out of 2004 WRC

Burns has been diagnosed with a brain tumour

British rally star Richard Burns has been diagnosed with a brain tumour, and will be forced to sit out next year's World Rally Championship while he undergos treatment.

The 32-year-old was forced to skip the Wales Rally GB after passing out at the wheel of his road car in the build-up to the event. Tests to determine the cause of the blackout have revealed that Burns has Astrocytoma. This is a form of tumour that develops on the brain's glial cells, which support and protect the nerve cells.

Burns will be treated for the condition through a course of radiation, with doctors confident that this will prove successful.

"I would really like to thank everyone for their continued support – it means a lot to me," said Burns. "My fans, the Peugeot WRC team and also everyone at Prodrive and Subaru have all been tremendous. The doctors have advised me that I am unable to get back in a rally car for the 2004 World Rally Championship and I have to accept that.

"I'm obviously extremely disappointed but I am feeling very positive and I am determined to focus all of my efforts on getting back to full fitness as soon as I can."

I'm extremely disappointed but I am feeling very positive
Richard Burns

After two disappointing years at Peugeot Burn was due to return to Subaru next season, the team with whom he won the 2001 championship.

Subaru boss David Lapworth said: "We are very concerned at this news about Richard. There will always be future rallies and future championships, but for now Richard needs to put his own health first.

"Richard will always be welcome at Subaru and we hope that he may again, when fully recovered, work with us once more. The team has offered to do what it can to help Richard back to health and return as one of the leading drivers in the WRC."

Subaru has yet to make a decision on who will now partner new WRC champion Petter Solberg next season.

"We have not yet had much time to consider all the alternative driver options for next year," said Lapworth, "but we hope to make an announcement in the coming weeks."

Eagle104
11-17-03, 12:01 PM
wow...sure hope and pray he can beat this. a little comforting that the doctors are optimistic.

mapguy
11-17-03, 01:30 PM
Well, Burnsie is known for having a big head.... (I know, bad joke..)

I hear Colin McRae is available.

Get well soon Richard.

rabbit
11-17-03, 03:12 PM
:(

pchall
11-17-03, 04:21 PM
damn

:(

Ankf00
11-17-03, 04:35 PM
geez that sucks, hopefully he recovers and heads back to Prodrive

Joe in LA
11-17-03, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by mapguy

I hear Colin McRae is available.

That occurred to me as well. Those two don't like each other much--would be pretty ironic if McRae ended up in the seat.

Jonezzy_33
11-18-03, 01:58 AM
That's horrible! Thoughts and prayers to him! :(

rabbit
12-08-03, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
I hear Colin McRae is available.UPDATE: McRae/Subaru deal nearly done (http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=05169571)
(10:16 Dec. 08, 2003)
McRae/Subaru deal nearly done

Colin McRae has emerged as the front-runner to join 2003 World Rally Champion Petter Solberg in Prodrive’s factory Subaru team next season in place of Richard Burns. Burns was signed from Peugeot before being diagnosed with a brain tumor and advised to take a year off.

McRae, newly released by Citroën due to the FIA’s controversial new two-drivers-only rule and currently without a 2004 drive, won the title with Subaru in 1995. Among the other drivers in contention at Subaru are Harri Rovanpera and Mikko Hirvonen.