PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion to Mid-Ohio

Lizzerd
11-17-03, 02:36 AM
We all know that Mid-Ohio is not on the 2004 CART/OWRS schedule.

Why? Simplisticly, from what I gather, it is because CART and the track could not come to an agreement regarding promotion and sanction fee vs. track rental, and the lack of an event sponsor, etc. The bottom line, I assume, was that niether M-O or CART felt it could make money on the event.

That said, I offer this possibly unpopular suggestion to M-O. RAISE YOUR TICKET PRICES. Before you jump on my case, please hear me out.

Consider this: M-O is relatively isolated. It's an hour (give or take a few minutes) from Columbus, and, I don't know, two or three hours from Cleveland. Mansfield is the largest city nearby. I'm a camper there, but I assume that hotel rooms can be somewhat difficult to get. So, why would anybody want to go? Why put up with the hassles? Who does go to M-O? I'll tell you who goes to M-O, it's the true CART fans who go. Virtually every fan at that race is knowledgeable and dedicated to the series. They want to be at the track for the RACING, not the concert or the night life or the museums or the restaurants. Many, like myself, actually prefer to get stinky in the campground and cook our own dinners.

Now, back to my suggestion to raise prices. M-O is (was) something like $50 for the weekend. The ENTIRE WEEKEND. I don't have any facts to go by, but this has got to be the cheapest ticket on the ('03) schedule. Also, anybody with half a brain can easily scam the system if they buy a Friday ticket and never leave the grounds. (I hope I didn't give anybody's secret away there, but it's true. Better control over who enters the track itself should be undertaken too.) If M-O raised their prices for the weekend to, say $100, I would gladly pay it, and I believe most of the fans that attended the race would too. That's still cheaper than Road America. I don't think higher prices would affect attendance significantly, and M-O would generate more revenue.

I know that it doesn't make any difference for next season now and my entire point is moot, but am I wrong about this? If M-O was still on the schedule, would another $50 for the weekend make you stay home? I don't know what kid's tickets cost, but they should be cheap. Even under 12 free for all I care.

Sorry, I know my musings here are a bit disjointed, but does anybody have any comments? You can even call me an idiot of you want, too.

chop456
11-17-03, 03:18 AM
You're right.

'Nuff said.

rocket
11-17-03, 03:25 AM
You do have a point, last year was my first year to MO, and I could not believe the price of a ticket. I just got the GA pass for 3days with the paddock pass (no g-stand), and I think it was like around half of what that same type of ticket for RA, (superticket) which is $120 for the weekend costs. If it was $100 or $120 for the GA tickets with paddock access at MO, I wouldn't even flinch ponying up the greenbacks for that. MO is every bit a great track as RA, just smaller. They are both located away from any major cities too, so it is really the same type of crowds that attend both of these events.

I would never call you an idiot Lizzerd...nuts yes...idiot no. :D

Kiwifan
11-17-03, 05:12 AM
You're not an idiot mate, just someone who uses common sense. At $50 that would have to be the cheapest deal for any sports event.

You should shoot that off to CART.com and see what they say. :)

Rusty.

Warlock!
11-17-03, 08:29 AM
If it would keep the race, I'd say do it...

Warlock!

Don Quixote
11-17-03, 10:48 AM
I agree 100%. An extra $20 per ticket and its still a bargain. If she is worried about offending the locals, run some promotions in Mansfield and surrounds for cheaper tickets.

RaceGrrl
11-17-03, 11:41 AM
I'd pay it. It's well worth $100 for a weekend of fun.

Dirty Sanchez
11-17-03, 12:35 PM
Agreed on the ticket pricing.

They'd also be well served to hire some people that don't do this :gomer: everytime they are asked a question. The only reason I didn't spend more money last year on a paddock pass was because the staff there was too stupid to sell me one.

Sean O'Gorman
11-17-03, 12:47 PM
You are dead wrong. Cleveland is only 60-90 minutes away from Mid-Ohio. ;)

In all seriousness, even though I get my tickets for free (through work), I'd gladly pay as much as $150 for a weekend ticket to get the race back on the schedule.

SteveH
11-17-03, 12:47 PM
The 2003 race at MO was my first for that track. You are right, its RA only smaller and less expensive. I'm very disappointed that I won't be able to see CART race there any longer. I never thought RA was over-priced, always a good value for what was presented. MO was a real bargain. I'd certainly pay more.

Chief
11-17-03, 03:58 PM
I would pay more in a heartbeat.

rabbit
11-17-03, 04:05 PM
I think you're spot on with your assesment Lizzerd. :thumbup:

Turn7
11-17-03, 04:06 PM
I have never been to MO but, when I went to RA and the quoted me a price of $120 I thought there had to be a mistake. I kept asking how much for the entire weekend, not just Sunday. They finally convinced me that the 120 bucks was all it took to cover the entire weekend.

I was shocked. I suppose I was used to paying the Houston prices and figured a "real" race would cost much more, not less.

Houston was $ 25 Thursday, $25 Friday, $50 Sat., $90 for Sunday plus $30 for paddock access. A grand total of $ 220.00 for the weekend. On top of that you had the privilege of buying $5 bottles of water, $7 bottles of beer, and $8.50 hamburgers.

If you were only paying $50 for all weekend at MO, you should feel like thieves. :D

pchall
11-17-03, 04:49 PM
I don't think that just paying more for the same product is enough to keep things running. Michelle Gajoch is counting on the hardcore fan base to keep the place going without any extra effort on her part.

I was in the campgrounds for the first time in ages in August 2003 and was a little disappointed that I still had to bring in my own water to bathe and shave and shampoo to get ready for Sunday's grid activities without a damned long walk. Most of the ammenities at M-O barely take care of an SCCA weekend. What's the point of building an ammenity like the platform down at Madness/Esses and not staff it? So what if they don't sell the top of the place to some sponsor? Give it up to the fans instead of closing it off and we will buy a lot of beer while enjoying the view.

There is a lot of stupid inattention to details up there. One small example: I went to the CART open practice on Monday and there were no beer sales. I was lucky that there was one place at the track to by some food. On the way in I passed a sub shop and a kwiki-mart but thought I'd rather get to M-O earlier and drop my dime there. They just didn't want to take my dime. There's lots of little stuff that can be fixed to make the whole experience better. And the nonsense of trying to get cookout supplies in with only one grounds pass was stupid. Geeze, just let the folks with the beer and food in to drop it off, please.

M-O is a great track and I love the racing there. But it is not enough to have the fine racing on a great track. They need to take care of their fans.

Warlock!
11-17-03, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by pchall
I was in the campgrounds for the first time in ages in August 2003 and was a little disappointed that I still had to bring in my own water to bathe and shave and shampoo to get ready for Sunday's grid activities without a damned long walk.
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Petey??? I showered and shaved every day in the campground. If that's a long walk for you, you're more of a lazy-@ss than I am!

Warlock!

Lizzerd
11-17-03, 05:01 PM
:saywhat: There was a trailer with showers at the entry to the campgrounds. You call that a long walk? You walked farther from the esses to the paddock.

Regarding the practice day, it was just that. Practice. I wasn't there that day, but with all due respect, I think your complaints are baseless. Plan ahead a pack a cooler. :)

Also, I've never had a problem getting all my camping and cooking stuff in one vehicle.

Come on, Pete, rough it like the rest of us.
:)

turn1
11-17-03, 05:04 PM
I have been going to Mid-Ohio for years and have noticed a significant improvement in fan ameneties, even if they are temporary for the big events. Flush toilets and portable showers are strategically located, the food/drink facilities have gone mobile, and the like. Granted, not everything is close from everywhere but with that type of layout how can it be?

As for the specific of CART not coming back, let us not forget that Mr. Pook decided not to show for this year's race. Given this no-show and the fact that it is 1-2 hours from an urban setting, I doubt that there is much that Mid-Ohio could have done to prevent the removal from the schedule.

Yes, it sucks, but like I have repeatedly said in regards to the issues surrounding the Cleveland race, it is difficult to make a sound judgement regarding "blame" or "fault" without having all of the details from all sides. Otherwise we assume and we all know what that does....

pchall
11-17-03, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd

Come on, Pete, rough it like the rest of us.
:)

I can pay for my luxuries. My roughing it in the pickup bed days are long gone.

M-O needs to cater a bit more to folks like me. That's where they have been losing a bunch of fans on a CART weekend over the last years...

M-O is competing for the entertainment budget of a changing demographic. The problem is that the aren't competing at all. :(

turn1
11-17-03, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by pchall
I can pay for my luxuries. My roughing it in the pickup bed days are long gone.

M-O needs to cater a bit more to folks like me. That's where they have been losing a bunch of fans on a CART weekend over the last years...

M-O is competing for the entertainment budget of a changing demographic. The problem is that the aren't competing at all. :(

Out of curiousity, what would you consider catering to folks like you?

turn1
11-17-03, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
We all know that Mid-Ohio is not on the 2004 CART/OWRS schedule.

Why? Simplisticly, from what I gather, it is because CART and the track could not come to an agreement regarding promotion and sanction fee vs. track rental, and the lack of an event sponsor, etc. The bottom line, I assume, was that niether M-O or CART felt it could make money on the event.

That said, I offer this possibly unpopular suggestion to M-O. RAISE YOUR TICKET PRICES. Before you jump on my case, please hear me out.

Consider this: M-O is relatively isolated. It's an hour (give or take a few minutes) from Columbus, and, I don't know, two or three hours from Cleveland. Mansfield is the largest city nearby. I'm a camper there, but I assume that hotel rooms can be somewhat difficult to get. So, why would anybody want to go? Why put up with the hassles? Who does go to M-O? I'll tell you who goes to M-O, it's the true CART fans who go. Virtually every fan at that race is knowledgeable and dedicated to the series. They want to be at the track for the RACING, not the concert or the night life or the museums or the restaurants. Many, like myself, actually prefer to get stinky in the campground and cook our own dinners.

Now, back to my suggestion to raise prices. M-O is (was) something like $50 for the weekend. The ENTIRE WEEKEND. I don't have any facts to go by, but this has got to be the cheapest ticket on the ('03) schedule. Also, anybody with half a brain can easily scam the system if they buy a Friday ticket and never leave the grounds. (I hope I didn't give anybody's secret away there, but it's true. Better control over who enters the track itself should be undertaken too.) If M-O raised their prices for the weekend to, say $100, I would gladly pay it, and I believe most of the fans that attended the race would too. That's still cheaper than Road America. I don't think higher prices would affect attendance significantly, and M-O would generate more revenue.

I know that it doesn't make any difference for next season now and my entire point is moot, but am I wrong about this? If M-O was still on the schedule, would another $50 for the weekend make you stay home? I don't know what kid's tickets cost, but they should be cheap. Even under 12 free for all I care.

Sorry, I know my musings here are a bit disjointed, but does anybody have any comments? You can even call me an idiot of you want, too.

While this is a well-thought out statement, I think it fails to take in to consideration the biggest point of sports marketing & economics: ticket revenue does not significantly contribute to the bottom line of events. The single most valuable contributor to the success of a motorsports event is corporate sponsorship. Have you seen how desperate most CART promoters have become? Think if the serious decrease in major sponsorships for the teams, much less the sanctioning bodies and promotors. Mid-Ohio certainly does not have any significant sponsorship issues with their other professional events. But trying to get a Title Sponsor to contribute a enough funds to underwrite CART's steep sanctioning fees is not going to happen for some time. As much as many of us hate to hear it, this is a business and people are in business to make money - not to underwrite a failing sanctioning body.

Lizzerd
11-17-03, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by turn1
While this is a well-thought out statement, I think it fails to take in to consideration the biggest point of sports marketing & economics: ticket revenue does not significantly contribute to the bottom line of events. The single most valuable contributor to the success of a motorsports event is corporate sponsorship. Have you seen how desperate most CART promoters have become? Think if the serious decrease in major sponsorships for the teams, much less the sanctioning bodies and promotors. Mid-Ohio certainly does not have any significant sponsorship issues with their other professional events. But trying to get a Title Sponsor to contribute a enough funds to underwrite CART's steep sanctioning fees is not going to happen for some time. As much as many of us hate to hear it, this is a business and people are in business to make money - not to underwrite a failing sanctioning body.

While I agree that corporate sponsorship is significant, probably the most significant source of revenue, I would hesitate to claim that ticket revenue is insignificant. I don't know how many fans buy weekend passes, but I'm certain that the race day crowd was in the neighborhood of 40 - 50K. Say half of them bought a weekend (likely more). 20K x $50 = $1 million. That's a pretty big number.

DjDrOmusic
11-17-03, 06:19 PM
$5 bottles of water, $7 bottles of beer, and $8.50 hamburgers.

Jeesh, now I feel like I ripped off the vendor Sunday morning at MO for only paying $5 for the breakfast, that included bisquits, gravy, eggs and sausage! I agree a higher ticket price wouldn't be bad to keep it on the schedule.

Railbird
11-17-03, 08:27 PM
Double the price, the place has always been next thing to a freebie.

Good thinkin' Lizzerd

I'm foolish enough to still hold out hope for a renegotiation when/if the buyout goes through.

While the place may be an hour or so from any major city it is dead in the middle of a part of the country that holds a large percentage of Champcar fans.

RaceGrrl
11-17-03, 10:45 PM
While this is a well-thought out statement, I think it fails to take in to consideration the biggest point of sports marketing & economics: ticket revenue does not significantly contribute to the bottom line of events.

So why charge admission at all if you have a buttload of corporate sponsorship? Ticket revenue is important, and what we're all saying is that we think we get off cheap in so many ways at MidOhio. If Michele is hurting that much for money on CART events, up the ticket price to help cover the fee.

rocket
11-17-03, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
While the place may be an hour or so from any major city it is dead in the middle of a part of the country that holds a large percentage of Champcar fans.

That seems to be the thing that everyone is overlooking. That's to bad.:(

turn1
11-18-03, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
So why charge admission at all if you have a buttload of corporate sponsorship? Ticket revenue is important, and what we're all saying is that we think we get off cheap in so many ways at MidOhio. If Michele is hurting that much for money on CART events, up the ticket price to help cover the fee.

While I’m sure Mid-Ohio would appreciate knowing that the diehard fans who post to this website would pay double the ticket prices, that simply would not be the case for most who pass through the gates. Mid-Ohio has maintained low prices in order to keep great family entertainment affordable for everyone. Raising ticket prices would do nothing but drive down attendance, which is already scrutinized, and only lower gate revenue AND media perception of the event.

Don Quixote
11-18-03, 12:03 PM
While I’m sure Mid-Ohio would appreciate knowing that the diehard fans who post to this website would pay double the ticket prices, that simply would not be the case for most who pass through the gates. Mid-Ohio has maintained low prices in order to keep great family entertainment affordable for everyone. Raising ticket prices would do nothing but drive down attendance, which is already scrutinized, and only lower gate revenue AND media perception of the event.
I have no way to prove this, but I sense that the opposite is true. I think the fans that go to MO are generally die hards, and among the most knowlegeable and passionate that you could find anywhere. I don't see a lot of casual fans there. The market may not take a doubling of prices, but there is certainly room to go up.

Don Quixote
11-18-03, 12:12 PM
And I agree with pchall that the place could use some upgrades. After the Honda money was taken away, I think the track should have, and should continue to aggressively search out partners and advertisers to promote and fix up the place. A coat of paint here and there, attended concession stands, better facilities, etc. would go a long way. MO could use some upgrades, without going over the top such that the quaintness factor is lost. Just like in any other business, you have to spend money to make money.