PDA

View Full Version : Sequential/Auto-Stick Shifter Question

Jag_Warrior
11-16-03, 04:35 PM
A friend of mine just got a new Maxima last week (pretty sweet car). We took it out for some "road testing" yesterday ( :) ). The car is equipped with one of those (slow shifting) auto-stick gizmo trannys. I know those things are meant to give the driver a feeling of being in a high performance/racing car. So here's my question: is there a general standard for which direction is for upshifting and which is for downshifting in racing cars? In the Maxima and several other road cars I've driven with auto-sticks, forward shifts up. In the DTM race I'm watching now, back seems to deliver the upshift. I forget, which way is CART? What about the various cars in ALMS?

If the shifting direction changes from car to car/series to series, seems like this could be a problem unless you're consciously thinking about the shift.

BTW, the Maxima is a fun car with very decent horsepower, but it's too heavy, has too much body lean/roll and doesn't give ANY steering feedback. NONE! You can't feel anything happening. Hmm, why are we going sideways and WHY is that tree coming our way? I didn't feel anything bad about to happen. :eek: If I'd wrecked this thing, you can't imagine how bad I would have felt (being the big road racing fan in the car). After years of being SO good, my insurance agent would have been very disappointed in me.

JT265
11-16-03, 06:16 PM
Any sequential gearbox I have seen is forward = down back = up

rabbit
11-16-03, 06:34 PM
A buddy of mine who's a big Champ Car fan bought a Lincoln LS with an inline auto-stick. He said it bugs him to death that it's backwards (back=down).

lone_groover
11-16-03, 07:22 PM
I dunno...but BOTH my Schwinn Stingray AND my Ross Apollo were BACK=DOWN, FORWARD=UP.

:confused:

Methanolandbrats
11-16-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
I dunno...but BOTH my Schwinn Stingray AND my Ross Apollo were BACK=DOWN, FORWARD=UP.

:confused: Damn dude, I had a Schwinn Lemon Peeler!

Cam
11-16-03, 09:07 PM
Stingray??? OMG!!!! phsycodelic flashbacks abound! :eek: Never had one myself...

mapguy
11-16-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Any sequential gearbox I have seen is forward = down back = up

Of course Chrysler has to do different. My old man's Sebrings manu-matic is side-by-side. Heysuz-H-Keerist. Trust a yank manufacturer to get it ass-backwards.

cart7
11-17-03, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by lone_groover

:confused:

With the banana seat and sissy bar I'm sure. :cool:

sadams
11-17-03, 10:11 AM
On my VF1100 up=up and down=down.;)