PDA

View Full Version : Mid Ohio reaction

nj61
11-14-03, 09:58 AM
Here is the reaction from Mid Ohio in the Mansfield News Journal.

Link (www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/news/stories/20031114/localsports/641028.html)

Railbird
11-14-03, 10:58 AM
damn shame.

turn1
11-14-03, 11:31 AM
It is a crime to leave Mid-Ohio off of the schedule! :flame:

RaceGrrl
11-14-03, 11:35 AM
The Indy Racing League said it will go road racing in 2005. Mid-Ohio probably won't go long before major league open-wheel racing returns.

I suppose that's a matter of opinion. IRL "road racing" is about as major league as Grand Sham.

With any luck we'll only have one year without MO and they can work something out for '05.

I guess we'll need to figure out when and where to have the next OC cookout. ALMS at MO maybe?

pchall
11-14-03, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl I guess we'll need to figure out when and where to have the next OC cookout. ALMS at MO maybe?

After a suitable period of mourning, Racegrrl and I might decide to move the OC Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Blowout in the campgrounds to the ALMS weekend in 2004.

But we are not inviting Michelle Gajoch. :P

Warlock!
11-14-03, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
[I]I guess we'll need to figure out when and where to have the next OC cookout. ALMS at MO maybe?
RA!

Warlock!

Ziggy
11-14-03, 05:08 PM
Dont get your hopes up folks. We have been waiting around for this split to end for eight years now......

Openwheel racing, the former form of North American Motorsports that was watched by millions.....

I supported Mid Ohio for 13 straight years. I wont be back for the IRL

Ziggy

Lizzerd
11-14-03, 05:52 PM
You got that right, Ziggy. 11 straight M-O races for me. If TG and Company race there in '04 or '05 and beyond, this race fan will NOT be there for it. Same as MIS. I started going there in the late '80's and only missed a couple years. I haven't been back and never will be back there if there aren't Champ Cars on the track.

edit: I would go back to M-O for ALMS or the SCCA runoffs, though.

nissan gtp
11-14-03, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd

edit: I would go back to M-O for ALMS or the SCCA runoffs, though.

I'm planning to go for ALMS, but if the IRL is going there, I'm done.

only exception would be a CART race.... even if the twirl takes a shot at right turns....

Railbird
11-14-03, 08:52 PM
We attended the first two ALMS shows at M/O and enjoyed them so that race is already on our schedule for next year.

The runoffs are always a definte maybe depending on their schedule and mine.

RaceGrrl
11-14-03, 09:17 PM
I had a lot of fun at the Runoffs this year, and hope to go again next year. I'd forgotten how much fun it was to watch.

Railbird
11-14-03, 09:57 PM
when are the runoffs in 2004?

nrc
11-14-03, 10:25 PM
CART has been a great event for MidOhio for 20 years. Two years into a lean period they suddenly can't afford to take the risk? If they were still plowing money back into the facility the way they were ten years ago I could see it as a problem, but that's not the case.

And no, I won't be making the trip to see which Nancy Boy pulls his three year old Audi into victory lane, either. I'm sure Michelle would like it just fine if CART fans would pick one of their other race dates to spend their money on. She can go fish as far as I'm concerned.

mello
11-14-03, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by nrc
CART has been a great event for MidOhio for 20 years. Two years into a lean period they suddenly can't afford to take the risk? If they were still plowing money back into the facility the way they were ten years ago I could see it as a problem, but that's not the case.

And no, I won't be making the trip to see which Nancy Boy pulls his three year old Audi into victory lane, either. I'm sure Michelle would like it just fine if CART fans would pick one of their other race dates to spend their money on. She can go fish as far as I'm concerned.

Speaking of spending money. I never have been on a cruise (always wanted too) cause all our vacations were cart. This could be the year. Who knows. Going to miss MO. First race I ever went to was there and the last race I went to was there. It was one of the best weekends of my life. Not going to do the RA thing that happened this year and yell and scream if they don't race at MO I am done with cart. Just going to sit back awhile and like Pchall said mourn, and then look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

RTKar
11-15-03, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by mello
Speaking of spending money. I never have been on a cruise (always wanted too) cause all our vacations were cart. This could be the year. Who knows. Going to miss MO. First race I ever went to was there and the last race I went to was there. It was one of the best weekends of my life. Not going to do the RA thing that happened this year and yell and scream if they don't race at MO I am done with cart. Just going to sit back awhile and like Pchall said mourn, and then look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm really glad I got to see at least one race at MO and what makes it so special was that I got to spend so much time with mello and flywheel, they made the weekend for me. I'm sorry it'll be the last one.

chop456
11-15-03, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Warlock!
RA!

Warlock!

I'll second that. :D

Peter Olivola
11-15-03, 11:33 AM
September 20-26, the same three weekends after Labor Day as this year and last when it was moved to accomodate the U.S.G.P. for SpeedChannel. The contract was signed before next year's U.S.G.P. was moved to June. Unfortunately, that's the same weekend as Petite LeMans.

Originally posted by Railbird
when are the runoffs in 2004?

Railbird
11-15-03, 11:42 AM
Thanks Peter.

Sean O'Gorman
11-15-03, 02:38 PM
Why can't they ever get a consistant date for PLM? :saywhat:

flobee1kenobi
11-16-03, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
RA!

How 'bout Toronto?

RaceChic
11-16-03, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by flobee1kenobi
How 'bout Toronto?

That would be great, but the way Toronto Molson Indy is set up, it is not a camping track like M-O. It would have to be done in someone's backyard. I live 45-60 minutes away from the track. My place could be used, I guess.

I vote for RA also, but those of us that have habitually camped together at Plymouth Rock, will have to start camping at the track. Plymouth Rock has such strict card usage to get through the gates. It is too difficult to get everyone through the gates.

rocket
11-16-03, 05:33 PM
From the looks of it several of us that have been at the Rock recentley are camping at the track next year, including chop456, Warlock, and myself, it will be much cheeper, and I'm pretty tired of the BS over at the campground...Last year there was some of the seasonal campers...you know the ones that pay thi big bux for those little shacks for the season. Anyway they were WAY WAY WAY louder than we were, and we we're the ones told to pack it in for the night, on several occasions, and as we were told that you could hear them whooping it up even more. After that F the rock.:thumdown:

Treeface
11-16-03, 11:55 PM
Honda is still an important sponsor for MO (superbike race/signage) so it's not a shock MO is going away.

mueber
11-17-03, 10:17 AM
If Mid-Ohio hosts an IRL race, I'll cease doing business with Mid-Ohio for the same reason I've ceased doing business with Target, Mobil, Havoline, Miller, etc.

I don't blame Mid-Ohio for this situtation, but I don't excuse making it worse by doing business with Boy George.

turn1
11-17-03, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by pchall

But we are not inviting Michelle Gajoch. :P

Why not invite Michelle? She certainly isn't responsible for CARTs "new direction" towards urban markets without portapotties and picnic benches...