PDA

View Full Version : Article on the star of Foyt Futility Watch, Larry Foyt

JohnHKart
11-14-03, 08:12 AM
An interesting article on what it's like to be the driver of the Foyt Futility Winston Cup car.

JH

From That's Racing.com:
Posted on Thu, Nov. 13, 2003

Frustrating year leaves Larry Foyt
a little embarrassed, uncertain
By DAVID POOLE
The Charlotte Observer

HOMESTEAD, Fla. - The 2003 Winston Cup season ends Sunday at the reconfigured Homestead Miami Speedway, but Larry Foyt has got to get there first.
After getting his first look at the track's new variable banking in a test day for Winston Cup teams Wednesday, Foyt's team will be back at the track for qualifying Friday. Until the No. 14 Dodge clears that hurdle, Foyt can't concern himself about what the track might be like in race conditions.

He has made the starting field for only 19 of the first 35 races in his rookie Winston Cup season. His team skipped one, at Martinsville in the spring, because it didn't have a car it felt was ready. Foyt also missed a few with an injury, but 12 times he simply hasn't made the cut.

"This certainly has been the hardest year of my racing career," Foyt said. "I've learned a ton this year, there's no doubt that, and I think I am a thousand percent better as a driver than I was when the year started. But I will be glad when this season is over and I can be more prepared for next year."

If there is a next year for Foyt. He knows two 28th-place finishes as his best results have put a cloud over his career.

"This year could ruin my career," he said. "There's a very good possibility I could never get another ride. But I don't feel like this year I've gotten a fair shake.

"What's kind of tough is that I knew it would be like that going in. People said at the beginning of the year that I didn't want to go to Cup or I wasn't ready. It wasn't really that, but I knew the way we were going to Cup and I knew it was going to be a struggle."

Foyt's team is owned by his father, racing legend A.J. Foyt, and his sponsorship deal isn't for big money. The team hasn't had a downforce-track car in the wind tunnel all year. It's one thing for a driver with limited experience to cut it with a top-flight team, but it's still hard to do it under the circumstances Foyt has faced.

"You don't want to make excuses and a lot of times people say drivers won't ever accept responsibility," Foyt said. "When I mess up, I will say so.

"Early on in the season, I was thinking this couldn't be the way it was supposed to be. At Atlanta I was so loose, I was thinking if these guys can drive these cars this way, this isn't for me."

When the team decided to skip Martinsville in the spring, Foyt went to Kentucky Speedway to test in a Ray Evernham-owned Dodge. It was an awakening.

"I got to see what we're racing against," he said. "It was like `There's no wonder we can't compete.' I don't want to sound like I am knocking the guys on this team because they have stuck behind me all year. Being a small team, we've become a really close team. They have really tried and given 100 percent. It's just things on which our hands are tied."

Foyt doesn't know what he'll be doing next season.

"I've let my dad know I can't go racing again next year the way we've done it this year," he said. "There are a lot of things up in the air right now. ... I feel like if I am able to get into something that's very competitive, I think I will be OK. If I have to go back to the Busch Series or do whatever it takes to get in something I have a chance in, I'll do it.

"At the beginning of the year, it was the first time in my life that I wasn't enjoying racing. I didn't want to go to the track. I dreaded waking up on Friday morning and having to go out there. It's not like you're just failing at a job. You're failing in front of lots of people and it's embarrassing."

Jag_Warrior
11-14-03, 08:20 AM
He's 1000% better, yet he still sucks. Man, that's sad.

RaceGrrl
11-14-03, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JohnHKart
...I knew it was going to be a struggle."

...You're failing in front of lots of people and it's embarrassing."

So he must be reading our Futility Watch threads. Now he admits that it's futile and embarassing. :D

DaveL
11-14-03, 11:46 AM
It gives some insight into what kind of underfunded shlock outfit the Foyt team is, too.

One of these days AJ will wake up and realize that the 1970s are over...but I'm not holding my breath.

pchall
11-14-03, 04:03 PM
Hey, DaveL!

The NASCAR press is stealing out schtick!

Steve99
11-19-03, 07:04 PM
"I've let my dad know I can't go racing again next year the way we've done it this year," he said.
He's trying to take your fun away.

pchall
11-20-03, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Steve99
He's trying to take your fun away.

Well, there's always Michael Waltrip...

Racewriter
11-20-03, 01:08 PM
Too funny. Ol' Lightning Larry acts like he was really good in prior years. Here are his point finishes:

ASA - 2000 - 17th
BGN - 2001 - 22nd
BGN - 2002 - 20th

Only one top five finish in ASA to show for all that - and that was a fifth in a very heavy attrition race. Yeah, Larry, you're a pro.

For what can be accomplished on little funding, please see Raines, Tony.