PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Schedule! Come and git some

Dirty Sanchez
11-13-03, 01:16 PM
2004 CART CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES SCHEDULE ANNOUNCED Thursday, November 13, 2003

INDIANAPOLIS (November 13, 2003) – CART Champ Car announced its 2004 schedule Thursday morning, unveiling a challenging slate of races for the Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford tour that again makes up the most diverse test in racing as drivers will face street circuits, temporary and permanent road courses and oval tracks in the quest for the 2004 Vanderbilt Cup.
The season is slated to begin on February 22, providing a unique sports marketing delivery platform in many of the largest markets in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The series will also expand its reach in the Pacific Rim in 2004 as the Champ Cars will make their debut in Seoul, South Korea to race on a temporary road circuit, and will again feature a trip to Surfers Paradise, Australia which drew an event-record 306,184 fans this year. The schedule has an intriguing mix of new and established events as recent successes such as St. Petersburg, Mexico City – where a series-record 402,413 fans came to this year’s race – and Denver are mixed into a slate which features 10 venues such as Portland that have hosted the Champ Cars at least 12 times.

Things get underway in St. Petersburg, Florida for the second consecutive year, and move to California in April for the 21st running of the Champ Cars at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach. May brings the series’ first trip to the city of Las Vegas since 1984 as the Entertainment Capital of the World will once again hear the roar of turbochargers, and will be followed the next week by a visit to Monterrey, Mexico. The Champ Cars will also run a pair of night races for the second consecutive year, battling under the lights at the venerable Milwaukee Mile in June and again at Cleveland’s exciting Burke Lakefront Airport course on the Fourth of July weekend.

CART will make its regular three visits to Canada, holding street races in Vancouver, Toronto and at Montreal’s challenging Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. The triumvirate of successful Canadian races has drawn nearly 500,000 fans to see the Champ Cars do battle in each of the last two seasons. Next year’s race at the picturesque Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California will return to its previously successful date in September, where it had run 13 of its 21 Champ Car events.

“We have crafted a schedule that is challenging for our teams and drivers, as well as enticing to our sponsors and fans,” said CART President and CEO Christopher R. Pook. “This schedule holds true to our philosophy of taking the racing to the major urban markets of NAFTA, while at the same time embracing our ties to the rich history of Champ Car racing at such places like Milwaukee, Road America and Long Beach.

“We have an unresolved situation in terms of a date at California Speedway,” Pook added. “And until this issue is resolved, we are unable to finalize dates at Mexico City, Korea and Miami. However, agreements exist with all of these venues and once the California Speedway issue is resolved, we will announce the remaining race dates. A similar situation exists with a possible return to Brands Hatch, and we will be able to proceed in that regard as soon as ownership rights to the track are worked out.”

About Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc.

Championship Auto Racing Teams, Inc. (OTCBB: CPNT.OB) owns, operates and markets the 2003 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford. Veteran racing teams such as Newman/Haas Racing, Player's/Forsythe Racing, Team Rahal, Patrick Racing and Walker Racing competed with many new teams this year in pursuit of the Vanderbilt Cup. CART Champ Cars are thoroughbred racing machines that reach speeds in excess of 200 miles per hour, showcasing the technical expertise of manufacturers such as Ford Motor Company, Lola Cars, Walker Racing LLC, (Reynard) and Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC. The 18-race 2003 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford was broadcast by television partners CBS and SPEED Channel. CART also owns and operates its top development series, the Toyota Atlantic Championship. Learn more about CART's open-wheel racing series at www.champcarworldseries.com.

2004 BRIDGESTONE PRESENTS THE CHAMP CAR WORLD SERIES POWERED BY FORD SCHEDULE

February 22 – St. Petersburg, Florida – Street Course
April 18 – Long Beach, California – Street Course
May 16 – Las Vegas, Nevada – Venue to be confirmed
May 23 – Monterrey, Mexico – Road Course
June 5 – The Milwaukee Mile – Oval
June 20 – Portland International Raceway – Road Course*
July 3 – Cleveland, Ohio - Road Course
July 11 – Toronto, Ontario, Canada – Street Course
July 25 – Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – Street Course
August 8 – Road America – Road Course
August 15 – Denver, Colorado – Street Course
August 29 – Montreal, Quebec, Canada – Road Course
September 12 – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca – Road Course
October 24 – Surfers Paradise, Australia – Street Course
TBA – Miami, Florida – Street Course**
TBA – Mexico City, Mexico – Road Course**
TBA – Seoul, South Korea – Road Course**
TBA – California Speedway – Superspeedway Oval**

Brands Hatch, UK event status to be determined with track owner/promoter

* - Subject to final commercial terms

** - 2004 sanctioning agreements in place

Lizzerd
11-13-03, 02:04 PM
Mid-Ohio removed from the "maybe" list. That really bums me...

chop456
11-13-03, 02:23 PM
Yeah, that really sucks. Can't say it's a surprise though.

JT265
11-13-03, 02:43 PM
I'll miss MO, but otherwise I'm likin' the schedule a ton. :thumbup:

KobySon
11-13-03, 02:52 PM
Agree on missing MO, disagree on liking the schedule...

Why didn't pook get rid of that almost 2 month long gap at the start of the season?

How much does the schedule disagree with indy practice & qualifying? I don't keep up on the schedule over there, but am interested if it interferes with say, NH participation.

Lizzerd
11-13-03, 03:18 PM
irl 500 is on May 30th. CART races on the 16th and 23rd. Hmmm...

Dr. Corkski
11-13-03, 03:31 PM
Interesting that the Se:gomer:ul "race" is listed as a road course.

Ankf00
11-13-03, 03:40 PM
we can afford seoul, miami, and denver, but can't afford MO?:saywhat:

:gomer:

JT265
11-13-03, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00

pretty much agree, 'cept for we don't know what the skinny is on MO. Denver and Miami would be pretty good spots to build a freakin' race track tho', I gotta admit.

Turn7
11-13-03, 03:47 PM
Why race in St. Petersburg in Feb. 22 and then not again until April 18? Why start the season and then wait 2 months for the second event? That is what bothers me with the schedule. It needs consistancy. Race every other weekend. Simple as that. Don't crowd one month with 3 races and then go another month without a race.

Wheel-Nut
11-13-03, 03:53 PM
The Las Vegas race says "venue to be confirmed". Over on TF a while ago someone had posted a link to a dozen or so aerial views of tracks around the world. I can't find it now. As I recall there was a road course outside of the oval at LVMS. Does anyone know if this road course would be condusive to a Champ Car race? I have seen on other sites the length of the "outside" course is 1.8 to 2.2 miles.

RichK
11-13-03, 04:02 PM
The road course outside of the oval is not a Champcar course. It's pretty run-down (I'm remembering it from a few years ago, they may have improved it). Basically a narrow, twisty piece of asphalt, breaking up in areas, with dirt on both sides. No grandstands.

The infield road course is do-able, but kind of boring.

RichK
11-13-03, 04:06 PM
Here is the outside road course:

http://www.lvms.com/images/adv/orc1.jpg

Wheel-Nut
11-13-03, 04:26 PM
Here is a link to a .pdf map of the outside road course.

http://www.fastfreddie.com/school/html/lvms.htm

The link is at the top of the Fast Freddie page.

The course doesn't look to bad on paper but as Rich said it wasn't in to great of shape. Anyone been out there lately? Can anyone pull it up on terraserver or some other aerial site?

Ankf00
11-13-03, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by JT265
pretty much agree, 'cept for we don't know what the skinny is on MO. Denver and Miami would be pretty good spots to build a freakin' race track tho', I gotta admit.

Miami already has a purpose built track at Bicentennial Park where they raced before, why not use the freaking thing instead of that atrocity they currently do?

Dirty Sanchez
11-13-03, 05:14 PM
2 month gap is fine by me... that means more back to back racing weekends in the summer.

Would you rather wait until April for your first race? NFW, I'll take my trip down to Florida in Feb. baby! Watch a little F1 in March and then put the hammer down in April.

I say good job. :thumbup:

Railbird
11-13-03, 05:30 PM
the only thing that doesn't suck about that schedule is the fact that there is one.

No M/O, two month gap, R/A with the same crap date going against Osh Kosh, Portland and Las Vegas with two different kinds of "maybe and then throw in the Miami/Denver autocrosses.

Oh well, at least it's a sched.

Looks like Milwaukee and Cleveland for me.

Don Quixote
11-13-03, 05:38 PM
Here's to hoping that MO will find its way back on, if not for 2004, then for 2005. I wonder if there was any behind the scenes maneuvering by Mario or others to try to make MO happen?

SteveH
11-13-03, 06:14 PM
Vegas baby, Vegas. I'm in. For sure.

JoeBob
11-13-03, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
Here's to hoping that MO will find its way back on, if not for 2004, then for 2005. I wonder if there was any behind the scenes maneuvering by Mario or others to try to make MO happen?

I don't think Mario can pull the stunt he pulled with RA again. His negotiations pretty much consisted of telling Pook, "If you don't keep that race at Road America, I'm going to spend the rest of the year watching races from my son's pit stand."

JT265
11-13-03, 07:29 PM
Miami already has a purpose built track at Bicentennial Park where they raced before, why not use the freaking thing instead of that atrocity they currently do?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they put their new arena in the middle of the track?

RacinM3
11-13-03, 08:04 PM
I raced on that Vegas road course outside of the oval twice last year and once this year. It's a mickey-mouse setup, with more than one corner that I'm not sure a Champ Car could even negotiate, much less two Champ Cars together. There is nothing but rocks off-line, and in the runoff (big rocks). The curbs are a joke. There are NO spectator facilities. The road course inside the oval would be better suited.

If I remember right, the outside course is called the "Club" course. It was never meant for Pro series, hence the name.

RichK
11-13-03, 08:09 PM
That's what I remember, RacinM3. I pulled alot of rocks out of sidepods a few years ago!

nrc
11-13-03, 09:10 PM

Seoul: Paying
Miami: Has a contract
Denver: Pays and has a contract.

Likewise on the question of St. Pete. They've got a contract which may stipulate a date. In any case, the February date for St. Pete has been talked about for quite some time, so either it's written the contract or there are enough scheduling factors (the airport closure) that it was set in stone for at least this year.

They've slid two other U.S. dates into May (eat it, Tony) and if they can move St. Pete into March or fill in another date or two it will start to look pretty good. I would rather see the schedule start in February and end in September, but it looks like they still plan to have the season go out with a wimper in October/November.

FCYTravis
11-13-03, 09:27 PM
Welp, looks like Long Beach, Las Vegas, Portland, Road America and Laguna Seca for me.

RTKar
11-13-03, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by KobySon
Agree on missing MO, disagree on liking the schedule...

Why didn't pook get rid of that almost 2 month long gap at the start of the season?

That gap is ridiculous. I think it's about time for them to get over leaving room for the 497.5....and also, so far only one oval....:confused:

ChrisB
11-13-03, 11:55 PM
The mantra continues:

the most diverse test in racing as drivers will face street circuits, temporary and permanent road courses and oval tracks

Don't get me wrong... the current Champcars are the best oval-formula cars ever built, and they should use them on ovals while they have them, but with LV "to be confirmed" and Fontana with asterix, and Milwaukee about to also host the IRL... I just don't see a lot of a future with ovals for this series.

Perhaps it's time to start thinking about something like:

the most diverse test in racing as drivers will face street circuits, temporary and permanent road courses and airport circuits

... and redesign the cars for that!

JohnHKart
11-14-03, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by JT265
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they put their new arena in the middle of the track?

The American Airlines Arena is on the south part of the Bicentennial Park....next to the street that goes past Bayside and goes to the bridge to the cruise port. It's where the pits and flagstand were for the street races. They could still use the other half of Bicentennial park as it is still in existence....as seen in this aerial photo,
which is recent. The Arena is just below the bottom of the photo.

JH

http://www.bayfrontparkmiami.com/media/bicentenial_aerial.jpg

nrc
11-16-03, 11:30 PM
Just an update - Bob Varsha mentioned on Speed News last night that CART had requested a later date for St. Pete, but wasn't able to get one.