PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles

RichK
11-11-03, 07:06 PM
I need some advice from some experienced riders.

I'm getting a bike, but I'm not sure whether I want a sport bike or a sport touring bike.

I'm considering the Triumph Daytona 955i and the Triumph Sprint ST.

So, I race cars on the weekend, I rode motocross bikes for a few years and I like performance stuff, but this new bike will be mostly for commuting and the odd weekend ride in the California mountains. Am I going to be concerned with comfort? Torque for traffic situations? Is the sport-touring bike not fun on mountain roads?

Opinions?

Joe in LA
11-11-03, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by RichK
I need some advice from some experienced riders.

I'm getting a bike, but I'm not sure whether I want a sport bike or a sport touring bike.

I'm considering the Triumph Daytona 955i and the Triumph Sprint ST.

So, I race cars on the weekend, I rode motocross bikes for a few years and I like performance stuff, but this new bike will be mostly for commuting and the odd weekend ride in the California mountains. Am I going to be concerned with comfort? Torque for traffic situations? Is the sport-touring bike not fun on mountain roads?

Opinions?

I've had a Harley, an FJ1200abs (sport touring) and sport bikes. If you are going to commute on it, I would not go for a pure sport bike unless you have a stong back and wrists, and don't mind getting pretty windblown and cold when you commute in the winter. If you have not had a pure sport bike before, you probably won't be disappointed with the sport tourer on the weekends, and will probably prefer it the rest of the time--better wind protection and an easier riding position. The Harley, with the windscreen and bags, was the best commuter of the group. The FJ was second, and the others were distant thirds. IMHO, all bikes are fun on mountain roads, and many riders find less extreme bikes to be more fun--unless they are really ready to explore the limits of a supersport bike. Personally, the lack of leverage from narrow clip ons, combined with the extreme riding position does not work for me on tight twisties. I was generally happier on my FJ than on the other bikes, and the Harley was not really made for canyon carving.

FWIW, you could look at a Honda VFR as a nice compromise--sportier than the Sprint, far more comfortable than the Daytona, and pretty darn quick.

In the end, the skills of the rider are paramount. I remember seeing a guy on a Goldwing swoop past a row of big sportbikes in Big Sur. He seemed to be having as much fun as anyone.

lone_groover
11-11-03, 10:00 PM
I concur with Joe that the most nearly-perfect all-around street bike available today is the Honda VTR, although the Daytona comes close.

Don't overlook the big naked retro sportbikes from Suzuki (Bandit 1200) and Kawasaki (Kawasaki ZRX1200) either, they're versatile, comfy, torque-y, and hell-for-fast - and cheaper than the Triumph Sprint.

Otherwise, the sport-tourers from Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia, Moto-Guzzi are just as sporty as you'll ever need on the street, and MUCH, MUCH more tolerable in traffic than GSXRs, Rs, CBRs, etc.

If you're willing to go a little bit sportier, any one of the current 600 would be great, although they're a lot less comfortabe, and more hard-edged than they were a few years ago. I rode Honda Hurricane/CBR 600s for 15 years and never wanted for power or comfort.

:)

racer2c
11-11-03, 11:24 PM
Naked bikes, albeit a bit "last year", are much cheaper to insure than their fairing clad siblings.

Different manufacturers have different sitting positions under the 'sport bike' claim i.e. you sit much more upright on a Kaw than a Suzuki GSX-R. Speaking of which, the 'hot bike' of the year is the GSX-R, which is identical to the GSX in all aspects expect instead of a steel frame it has an aluminum frame, and thus a bit more expensive.

V-Twin sporty's are hot now too if the in-line four revs grow tiresome...

Personaly, the older the cooler, but that doesn't always make for a good commuter bike.

The new retro drag bikes are way cool too (and super trendy). Check out the Kaw Mean Streak. Gobs of torque, low slung, comfortable for long hauls. All without being labled a 'hog wanna be'.

RichK
11-12-03, 02:26 AM
Thanks guys, you've given me alot to think about.

'groover: recommending a HONDA? For shame! :cry: :cry:
It looks like a great bike. I have a thing for Triumphs, but I'll be trying out lots of bikes.

I think Joe said what I'm thinking: I've never had a pure sport bike before, so I'll be stoked with a sport tourer.

r2c: If I really get into riding (I think I'm going to), I'll probably get an older bike too. Maybe that's where my Triumph fetish will get satisfied...

chop456
11-12-03, 03:05 AM
I like the VFR. The ST1100 is a nice bike too if it's not bigger than what you want. It's a pretty big bike and I wouldn't want to ride it in the city all the time.

The wife said I can get a new bike when the credit cards are paid off. She's doing her best to see that I never get a new bike. :D

My FZR was stolen with 1,100 miles on it.

Treeface
11-12-03, 10:43 AM
Well I guess I'll jump in and be the voice of reason. If you haven't already take the MSF basic ridercourse (http://www.msf-usa.org/). Beginner bikes (http://www.beginnerbikes.com) has sane and practical recomendations on first bikes. It sounds like a Triumph fetish so I doubt you'll be happy with another make. Ride safe and have fun.

RichK
11-12-03, 12:34 PM
I'm definitely taking the MSF course, I was just looking up the classes in my area yesterday. As far as beginner bikes, though, I think I'm going to get what I'll eventually want, and rely on my sanity and previous experience to get me through the first miles.

Ask my wife......I drive like a grandma on the street! :)

mapguy
11-12-03, 12:38 PM
but this new bike will be mostly for commuting

http://www.mysunrise.ch/users/silver-wing/grafiken/swseite.jpg

We know this is what you really want. :D

Ankf00
11-12-03, 12:43 PM
1 word.

Aprilia

:D

GO EDWARDS!

Joe in LA
11-12-03, 01:01 PM
Beginner bikes make sense for those who either lack the good sense to control the right wrist, or who have difficulty with the weight of a bigger bike. Otherwise, I'd get what you want now--if you ride regularly you will be ready to use it soon. The MSF course is, BTW, excellent. If you can get to a street oriented track course, I would do that as well--something like Reg Pridmore's C.L.A.S.S., it is worth doing after a bit of seat time. Don't do a "race" school unless you have a lot of seat time--you will be very stressed out, and learn little.

baffle
11-12-03, 09:13 PM
rich,

I've been riding the streets for over 25 years (started young :) ) and have owned or ridden a variety of different bikes. when I think of a sport-tourer I think of a relatively heavy bike that is designed to be comfortable on longer road trips; if you are planning to use it around town and in the canyons you might want to consider something in between sport-touring and pure sportbike.

do you need to buy a new bike? if not, I suggest looking at a classic 2 valve carbureted Ducati, like the 1991-1996 900 Supersport. this bike is beautiful to look at, simple to maintain and work on yourself, it's about 100 pounds lighter than a jap 4 cylinder, and has a riding position somewhere between sport tourer and pure sportbike.

basically, it is a $6000 2-wheeled Ferrari which, when you're done riding it, you can tweak, buff, polish and stare at it for hours on end.

that's what I do with mine, anyways. :D

chop456
11-12-03, 11:50 PM
Italian Motorcycle Repair Kit:
http://www.libb.com/images/money_bag.jpg

:D

RichK
11-13-03, 12:59 PM
baffle, I like the way you think! :) I am often ridiculed by friends and family for sitting in the driveway and staring at my freshly waxed car.

I don't need a new bike, and some of the Sport-Touring bikes do seem a bit bulky for what I'll be doing. I see a few 900 SuperSports on CycleTrader for around $5000, one '96 model only has 2000 miles on it.

VFRs of the same era look like a good deal, too.

RichK
12-17-03, 12:39 PM
Update: I bought a bike yesterday! It's a 2000 Honda VFR with 12,000 miles on it. I looked at Triumph Daytonas, and a Ducati 900SS or two, but the VFR is really comfy while still being close to a sportbike.

Thanks everyone for the good advice!

Here's a pic:

http://www.team-orange.com/personal/vfr3a.jpg

chop456
12-17-03, 12:50 PM
Sweet bike!

Warlock!
12-17-03, 01:10 PM
:wonderingwhyIsoldmybikes:

: ohyeah-duh-forgotI'mafamilymannow:

:(

Warlock!

lone_groover
12-17-03, 01:50 PM
Congrats Rich! You couldn't have chose a better color. She's a beauty, as Fee Waybill - or Quay Lude would say. Seat cowl and kinky black vinyl tank bra; freak-ee!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

chop456
12-17-03, 01:54 PM
I've got a crispy Franklin that says _groover is the only person to ever mention Fee Waybill on a racing forum. A skank I worked with in high school wore a Tubes t-shirt almost every day. :barf:

And it's still a nice bike. :cool:

RichK
12-17-03, 02:23 PM
Yeah, the yellow rocks! Honda only did the yellow VFRs in 2000, so there aren't many out there.

I am also a fan of kinky bras. :)

Joe in LA
12-17-03, 03:03 PM
Great choice. I've never heard of an owner that didn't like that bike.

racer2c
12-17-03, 03:41 PM
Nice. I wish I had that bike! I could finally take my helmet off when I get gas!

baffle
12-18-03, 02:55 AM
you're gonna have some big fun now richie boy... just try to keep the rubber side down, and keep us posted on your two-wheeled adventures. :thumbup: