PDA

View Full Version : CSI: Miami or Driven??

DjDrOmusic
11-11-03, 12:03 PM
OK, you have a friend that you are trying to get interested in Champcars, and you have only one chance to do it, but you have to choose between showing them the CSI:Miami episode or Driven, what do you use as your weapon of choice??;)

KLang
11-11-03, 01:28 PM
Neither, take them to a race. :)

nz_climber
11-11-03, 02:57 PM
Driven is more likely to make them an IRL fan after they watch a CART race and find the cars don't really fly like the movie.. but wait IRL cars fly just fine :D

Chaos
11-11-03, 03:28 PM
sounds like a bad vs. worse poll

cart7
11-11-03, 03:51 PM
Which would you want more, Cancer or heart disease?

pchall
11-11-03, 05:48 PM
Awww, come on.

CSI Miami was at least a competently done piece of prime time TV that puffed CART.

Driven was just a waste of miles of film stock.

racer2c
11-11-03, 06:10 PM
The result of two years of doom and gloom. It becomes the norm.

I'm with PC. It was mediocre tv at best. Terrible acting, DOA plot and unrealistic Hollywood exaggerations. But it was GOOD FOR CART.

JoeBob
11-11-03, 06:22 PM
Driven was about a fictional racing series that happened to use footage filmed at CART events. A casual fan wouldn't even know CART was used as a basis.

CSI Miami made Champ Cars look cool! Sexy and High Tech. You got the impression that you should be in awe of the women, the men, and their machines. And, they made sure you knew exactly what series they were talking about too!

Dr. Corkski
11-11-03, 07:20 PM
Driven was always going to be a soap opera, while CSI: Miami is more of a science based (using that term rather loosely) show. I would think there is a better way to promote Champ Cars than to have someone die working on it, but you can't get too picky when more people would end up watching that than the actual racing this entire year.

RaceChic
11-11-03, 08:25 PM
Having not seen CSI yet (but thanks to my good friend Lizzerd, I will) I would agree with Type-S and say take them to a live race. That is what got me hook, line and sinker. My goose was cooked for good after that. Don't forget to get them into hot pits early in the weekend when you still can or the balcony at Mid-Ohio. That was the last straw for this chronic addict. :D

Robstar
11-11-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Having not seen CSI yet (but thanks to my good friend Lizzerd, I will) I would agree with Type-S and say take them to a live race. That is what got me hook, line and sinker. My goose was cooked for good after that.

Yup... same as... :thumbup: :) :thumbup:

nissan gtp
11-11-03, 10:09 PM
The CSI show sucked, but the CART exposure was quite good (aside from making the drivers look like ****-heads, which they definitely are not). CWI got most of the tech right (mainly messing up details only a fan would see or care about).

Driven was just plan bad, and wrong about the racing and cars in almost every way.

the only thing they had in common was hot babes. Just like real racing. :rofl:

RARules
11-11-03, 10:56 PM
Driven was one of the worst films ever made that wasn't made on a shoestring budget. Even as a dedicated CART fan, I just couldn't sit and watch it again. I was too embarrassed to *myself* to watch it. I lasted about 30 minutes, and then I did some computer work with it on in the background, and it was still simply awful.

CSI:Miami was (as I recall - I don't normally watch it but have seen an episode or two) pretty much par with their normal efforts.

So a on-par episode of a popular show that showcases CART (yeah, lots of egos and silly melodrama) or Driven, one of the worst studio-made films of all time.

Choice? Come on!

Of course, getting someone to a race is again no comparison, but that's a lot more difficult to do.

BlueStang
11-12-03, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by pchall
CSI Miami was at least a competently done piece of prime time TV that puffed CART.

I disagree with the compentently part. It didn't necessarily present CART in the best light, either (crooked track doc, crooked teams, etc.), but it did also highlight some of the good things.

I guess it was compentent compared to most TV these days, though.

scanman
11-12-03, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by DjDrOmusic
OK, you have a friend that you are trying to get interested in Champcars, and you have only one chance to do it, but you have to choose between showing them the CSI:Miami episode or Driven,

pretty simple.....CSI Miami..(didn't see) but from reports they
had lots of tech stuff and not fluff stuff...
Yes, taking them to a race would be best....BUTT that was
not the question...:confused:

pfc_m_drake
11-12-03, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Type-S
Neither, take them to a race. :)
As some people are fond of saying...

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

stymie
11-12-03, 06:07 PM
DO I have to choose just one of those couldn't I take Winning, Grand Prix or the Big Wheel?

BTW CSI over Driven

Ratattack
11-14-03, 11:35 PM
Miami.. Champcars don't fly..

Twisty Bits
11-19-03, 12:43 AM
The only thing I like about Driven is that quick shots of tracks like Detroit and Toronto have been immortalized on film. Good eye candy while flickin by on the dish. Other than that, it plain sucked.