PDA

View Full Version : Shock, shock: ISC suing CART

rabbit
11-06-03, 11:14 AM
http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2003/1105/1654936.html

For the lazy clickers like me:

California Speedway seeks nearly $2.5M
Reuters

NEW YORK -- The company that owns California Speedway has filed a lawsuit requesting a declaratory judgment against CART after the final race of the series was canceled.

International Speedway Corp (ISC) wants the forest fires in San Bernadino County, Calif., that led to the Nov. 2 race being called off declared a "force majeure."

ISC said in a statement such a declaration, under the terms of its contract with CART, would entitle the racetrack to recover fees of some $2.5 million less a mutually agreed upon amount for reasonable expenses incurred by CART in preparation for the race.

Paul Tracy clinched the CART series title in October in a race at Surfers Paradise, Australia, and was crowned champion in a ceremony in California on Tuesday.

pchall
11-06-03, 01:48 PM
ISC is singing a rather different tune this week.

Don Quixote
11-06-03, 01:56 PM
I bet they want to sue CART while there still is a CART to sue. It seems that the return of some portion of the sactioning fee would normally be done through negotiations rather than an instant lawsuit. What a great relationship!

cart7
11-06-03, 02:38 PM
Wilke predicted this a year ago, just ask him. ;) :gomer:

Jag_Warrior
11-07-03, 12:28 AM
Speaking of lawsuits, whatever happened to the lawsuit that was filed against the Hillbilly Mafia last year? I think it was a Speedway Motorsports shareholder (or group) that initiated that suit.

JohnHKart
11-07-03, 07:09 AM
The Texas shareholder is suing. (Not Bruton Smith's company or Smith) The lawsuit is still ongoing, and Smith said on Windtunnel he did not agree with it.

JH