PDA

View Full Version : UBB forum problem

cart7
11-04-03, 09:42 PM
I've got an interesting problem for any of you who want to try and tackle it. I started logging onto here, 7G and TF today and noticed a problem with my computer at work. IE was running extremely slow on any forum I was on today. Regular websites were just fine. On threads, especially long ones, the browser runs extremely slow, using the scroll bars on the side is almost impossible since it scrolls so slowly and typing in the reply box is extremely slow. Letters appear about a second after I type them.

I ran the company's anti virus (Trend), ran spybot and yet no help. I checked the task manager looking for some program to be running in the background eating up processor availability but found nothing. Like I said, everything else is running fine and IE runs just fine on normal websites, it's just the UBB based forums. Any idea's??

BTW, obviously I can't give the old help desk a call on this one. ;)

JoeBob
11-04-03, 11:18 PM
For what its worth, OC and TF run vBulletin, not UBB (which 7G uses).

lone_groover
11-04-03, 11:21 PM
Have you checked to see if one of the flay-rods had not gone out of skew on the treadle?

:)

RaceGrrl
11-04-03, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
Have you checked to see if one of the flay-rods had not gone out of skew on the treadle?

"What? I don't understand what you're saying!"

cart7
11-05-03, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by lone_groover

You're gonna have to use a little less technical language for me to understand. :gomer:

SteveH
11-05-03, 01:33 AM
Just a wild guess, but it could be memory, or the lack thereof.

Kiwifan
11-05-03, 02:59 AM
I thought it was just me. The last couple of days I have had trouble logging on to my first port-a-call (here :) ) but have had no trouble at 7G or Canadian Racing. Basically if I'm not in straight away it won't load, I get stuck on the main page or it's slow. Sometimes, like now it's no trouble at all! :)

I'm not having any trouble at any other sites other than here and it is pretty random so who knows?? Life goes on.......

Rusty.

Turn7
11-05-03, 08:37 AM
Check the fluid level in the flux capacitor. :gomer:

I have trouble at times as well but, it isn't only with this site. I don't know if it is a combination of vBulletin and UBB or what but, at times, I have to close all instances of IE. Relaunch and it works fine. I was thinking it was something querky with our firewall or something but, others seem to be experiencing difficulties as well.

Like Rusty, some IE instances work perfectly on non-forum pages and I must close and relaunch those as well to get everything chugging along properly.

Try that and see if it helps.

nz_climber
11-05-03, 02:47 PM
First suggestion would be to ditch IE :D

Mozilla works just fine on all forums :)

RaceGrrl
11-05-03, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by nz_climber
First suggestion would be to ditch IE :D

Mozilla works just fine on all forums :)

Agreed, though I occasionally have to boot IE for some sites.

sadams
11-05-03, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
"What? I don't understand what you're saying!"

I didn't expect the Spainish Inquisition. ;)

cart7
11-06-03, 11:52 AM
The problem was solved by removing a piece of spyware that spybot didn't find that was hiding in the registry. I'm scrolling at the speed of sound now. :D

Kiwifan
11-06-03, 06:27 PM
So what was it? I run Spybot and adaware once a week to get rid of the blighters. :(

Rusty.

cart7
11-08-03, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Kiwifan
So what was it? I run Spybot and adaware once a week to get rid of the blighters. :(

Rusty.
Not sure exactly, it was a registry entry in IE. I finally called the help desk and he used admin override to get into the regedit. I used to have that override but they changed it (damn). Any way, we found an entry that said search bar with a long hex code that didn't look right and we removed it. IE took off running again at the speed of ligh..... well as fast as IE can run anyway. :cool:

Cam
11-08-03, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by cart7
Not sure exactly, it was a registry entry in IE. I finally called the help desk and he used admin override to get into the regedit. I used to have that override but they changed it (damn). Any way, we found an entry that said search bar with a long hex code that didn't look right and we removed it. IE took off running again at the speed of ligh..... well as fast as IE can run anyway. :cool:

One word...... Mozilla! :thumbup:

cart7
11-11-03, 10:03 AM
Well, it started again yesterday. I down loaded Mozilla and am using it as I type. No problem here. :cool:

Robstar
11-11-03, 07:23 PM
I downloaded Mozilla but I can't tell a speed difference between it & IE - is it still worth me having it ?
Any other benefits ?

RaceChic
11-11-03, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Cam
One word...... Mozilla! :thumbup:

Help!!???!!! What is Mozilla, please? :confused:

Robstar
11-11-03, 09:08 PM
It's another web browser like Internet Explorer - it's quite cool but I'm not sure which is better...

nz_climber
11-11-03, 09:21 PM
IE and Mozilla do the same thing, but Mozilla does most things better (apart from the odd website writen for IE only)

I think the good thing in mozilla is you can open new tabs for quick access to a few sites with out having multiple window open :)

Robstar
11-11-03, 09:31 PM
Thanks mate...
:cool: