PDA

View Full Version : Songs that get you right *here*

anait
11-04-03, 01:40 AM
:D The Guilty Pleasures thread got me thinking about another music question: What songs hit you right in the gut/heart/mind/whatever?? You know, songs that make you sit back, close your eyes, and enjoy...you totally shut out the world for those 6-7 minutes.

Mine are, thus far:

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
Sail On - Commodores
Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Avenue A - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

There are many more that come close to turning me into a pile of goo, but those are my top four. :D

Edited to add: :o Okay, obviously I can't put italics in the thread title. Somebody want to fix my blunder?? :D Merci beaucoup in advance.

mapguy
11-04-03, 06:45 AM
Evanescense - Bring me to Life
Zappacosta - Nothing Can Stand In Your Way
The Cure - Fascination Street

WickerBill
11-04-03, 07:58 AM
How could I possibly narrow this down... here's a list, if you mean what I think you mean... (yes, I know there's not a lot of non-popular stuff, but hey)

Anna Begins - Counting Crows
I Am A Rock - Simon and Garfunkel
Indifference - Pearl Jam
Crash - Dave Matthews Band
Far Behind - Candlebox
#1 Crush - Garbage
New York Minute - Don Henley
Untouchable Face - Ani Difranco
Found Out About You - Gin Blossoms
And So It Goes - Billy Joel
Pull Me Under - Dream Theater
Fields of Gold - Sting
What About Me - Moving Pictures
I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
Wicked Game - Chris Issak
Runaway Train - Soul Asylum
Southern Cross - CSN
Crossroads - Don McLean
Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins
Where Did You Sleep Last Night - (cover by Nirvana)
What If I Came Knocking - John Mellencamp
Not An Addict - K's Choice
Hurt - Nine Inch Nails
Down By The Water - PJ Harvey
Lie To Me - Sheryl Crow (Sorry RaceGrrl)
Fell On Black Days - Soundgarden
All I Want - Toad The Wet Sprocket
Still Fighting It - Ben Folds Five
Wrapped Around Your Finger - Police
Wild Child - Enya
King of Wishful Thinking - Go West
The Weakness In Me - Melissa Etheridge
Corduroy - Pearl Jam
California Dreamin - Mamas and the Papas
Sober - Tool

Cam
11-04-03, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill

With ya on that one WB.... I would have to add for me "Most Wanted Man" by Paul Kelly. Rusty and Aaron may know that one.

chop456
11-04-03, 09:39 AM
Buffalo Tom - Taillights Fade
Hendrix - Castles Made of Sand/Little Wing
SRV - Life Without You
Sarah McLachlan - Good Enough
Psy. Furs - Heaven
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah/Last Goodbye
R.E.M - Fall on Me

Probably a lot more, but I have work to do . :D

Warlock!
11-04-03, 10:28 AM
Just one... Silent Night.

Warlock!

tllips
11-04-03, 10:31 AM
Just

America the Beautiful

RaceGrrl
11-04-03, 11:27 AM
Besides some of the others you all have mentioned:

Silent All These Years- Tori Amos
Ghost- Indigo Girls
The Promise- Tracy Chapman
Landslide- Stevie Nicks
Greystone Chapel- Johnny Cash
This Woman's Work- Kate Bush
While My Guitar Gently Weeps- The Beatles

and even though I don't go to church much anymore, these two ALWAYS get me in the gut: How Great Thou Art and Amazing Grace, especially when the latter of the two is played on bagpipes. *sniff*

lone_groover
11-04-03, 11:46 AM
THE FREAKS COME OUT AT NIGHT - Whodini

:)

JoeBob
11-04-03, 12:06 PM
The Humpty Dance - Digital Underground

racer2c
11-04-03, 12:07 PM
Anything by Aimee Mann.

TedN
11-04-03, 01:29 PM
Father and Son - Cat Stevens

Ted

anait
11-04-03, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill

And So It Goes - Billy Joel

Fields of Gold - Sting

I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats

Wrapped Around Your Finger - Police

Yup, like those. :)

I've had the music for And So It Goes for years, I still haven't found the right occasion to perform it.

I actually have a hard time listening to Fields of Gold; we bought the Fields of Gold Best of Sting CD when our third child was born, and rocked her to sleep to it for a long time. That song is so beautiful, and so bittersweet, it chokes me up. Doesn't help that our lot backs onto a farmer's field, and I can easily imagine watching our grandkids play, after my husband passes on.

Okay, enough with the melancholy. :D

Another one I stop for is Sting's Desert Rose. I have yet to get a copy of the extended dance mix; I saw that video before I got the CD - great, sexy video.

Mr. Vengeance
11-04-03, 06:57 PM
2 from Dire Straits: Romeo And Juliet from "Alchemy" (live) & "Your Latest Trick", (also better recorded live, from "On The Night"). Played loud(ish) on a good system, in a dimly lit room with a good glass of scotch.

Lyle Lovett's "Step Inside This House" might be one of the best songs ever written.

RacinM3
11-04-03, 07:22 PM
That I Like Big Butts song is always good for a tear or two...:laugh:

RHR_Fan
11-04-03, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3
That I Like Big Butts song is always good for a tear or two...:laugh:

"Baby Got Back" by Sir-Mix-Alot. Classic song. :D

I'm really into Dave Matthew's "Gravedigger".

~Nicole

Robstar
11-04-03, 08:23 PM
Kickstart My Heart - Motley Crue
Lilac Wine - Jeff Buckley
anything Pantera
Sure Shot - Beastie Boys
Back In Black - AC/DC

the list goes on...

Railbird
11-04-03, 08:25 PM
"In My Life" the beatles

"Fire and Rain" James Taylor

"Pretty Fly For A White Guy" Offspring

sniff

TKGAngel
11-04-03, 08:49 PM
Proud to be an American~Lee Greenwood
Faithfully~Journey
Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me~Keith Urban
Amazing~Josh Kelley
Sweet Caroline~Neil Diamond
Glory Days~Springsteen
My Town~Montgomery Gentry
Livin On a Prayer~Bon Jovi
Crazy Game of Poker~OAR
almost anything by John Mellencamp

I'll tell ya what song I dont like~Kelly Clarkson~Miss Independent. Everytime I hear it, I want to scream.

Jag_Warrior
11-05-03, 12:28 AM
I've only called in a request to a radio station once in my life. When I first left home I asked a station to play The Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter". I feel like that song has followed me through life. I like many other songs (quite a few of the ones mentioned here), but that's the one.

Ziggy
11-05-03, 01:22 AM
Jag, check out Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheel's version of this song. Its on the album "Detroit". Has a big black Buick on the cover.

very cool, very well done

Its an out of print CD, so you will pay about 30 bucks for it.

Ziggy

rabbit
11-05-03, 01:22 AM
"Self Esteem" - The Offspring

Turn7
11-05-03, 08:41 AM
Itsy Bitsy Spider - Mother Goose

(Trying to coordinate my hands and sing at the same time takes my full concentration and I have to shut out everything else.)

Cam
11-05-03, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
2 from Dire Straits: Romeo And Juliet from "Alchemy" (live) & "Your Latest Trick", (also better recorded live, from "On The Night"). Played loud(ish) on a good system, in a dimly lit room with a good glass of scotch.

Private Investigations really loud in a dimly lit room is spine chilling! :eek:

Ankf00
11-05-03, 12:21 PM
Pearl Jam - Yellow Led Better, Sonic Reducer, Leash, Given to Fly, Timeless Melody, State of Love and Trust, Leatherman, Release, Porch, Breathe,
REM - Revolution, Ignoreland, Exhuming McCarthy, Orange Crush, Rockville (Don't go Back to)
U2 - In God's Counry, all of War, anything from Achtung or Pop
Zep - white summer
ac/dc - shoot to thrill
NIN - anything from Broken, and most of Left from The Fragile
Green Day - DOOKIE
Incubus - make yourself, circles, mexico, have you ever
peppers - blood sugar sex magik

sadams
11-05-03, 03:26 PM
Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
Bob Marley - No Woman No Cry

FTG
11-05-03, 03:55 PM
Nice legs, shame about the face.

Not sure who sings it, but it always make me verklempt.

rabbit
11-05-03, 04:15 PM
Forgot one...

"Jeremy" - Pearl Jam :(

Joe in LA
11-05-03, 07:52 PM
Layla--Derek and the Dominos One of the few songs that convey's deep saddest and still rocks

RTKar
11-05-03, 08:33 PM
Two songs by the Waterboys; "Fisherman's Blues" and " And a Bang on the Ear"

racer2c
11-05-03, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Two songs by the Waterboys; "Fisherman's Blues" and " And a Bang on the Ear"

RT, are you the one who turned me on to Ivy? If so...THANKS! I love it! :thumbup: :)

RTKar
11-05-03, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by racer2c
RT, are you the one who turned me on to Ivy? If so...THANKS! I love it! :thumbup: :)

Ivy ?? don't think so....

JT265
11-05-03, 11:34 PM
Between Jag & Ziggy, I can see a jam session of MAJOR proportions on the horizon. Stones & Mitch Ryder, :cool:

And if I may respectfully add;

All along the watchtower, Jimi's cover. :thumbup:

Jag_Warrior
11-06-03, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by JT265
Between Jag & Ziggy, I can see a jam session of MAJOR proportions on the horizon. Stones & Mitch Ryder, :cool:

And if I may respectfully add;

All along the watchtower, Jimi's cover. :thumbup:

I didn't know so many covers of "Gimme Shelter" existed - just thought it was The Stones and Keith who'd done versions. I couldn't find the Mitch Ryder version today, but I found one by Sisters of Mercy that's... well, different - but I like it. I'll keep looking for the Mitch Ryder version. Thanks Ziggy!

"Voodoo Child" is good to crank at stop lights to show the youngsters what REAL music is about. And I'm with ya on Jimi's "All Along the Watchtower" too. :thumbup: "If 6 Was 9" used to go real well with Jack Daniels in college.

A couple of years ago on 7G I mentioned how much I liked The Traveling Wilbury's "Tweeter and the Money Man". I think it was Rusty who turned me on to the Headstones version? Now that version rocks! I remain a CART fan just so I can get music tips, ya know. From what I see here, I can't imagine ever turning to anyone at a CART road race and griping, "Hey, turn that $#!^ down!" :D

Canon2292
11-09-03, 08:51 PM
Comfortably numb, On the turning away, and Learning to fly by Pink Floyd.
Motion Picture Soundtrack, Like Spinning Plates and Big Ideas/Big Boots by Radiohead.
Love Bites by Def Leppard.

Ankf00
11-09-03, 10:16 PM
Stone Free by jimi :cool:

SteveH
11-09-03, 10:32 PM
Mandy by Barry Manilow.

Classic Apex
11-09-03, 10:42 PM
'Louisiana', 'Buffalo', 'Comedown', 'Lost' - The Church

:cool:

rocket
11-09-03, 11:23 PM
"Do you feel like we do" -Peter Frampton

SteveH
11-09-03, 11:46 PM
BTW - I was just kidding.:D

Eagle104
11-09-03, 11:58 PM
good save, steve...
:laugh: :laugh:

flobee1kenobi
11-10-03, 08:34 PM
Drown, For Martha - Smashing Pumpkins
Flegling, Home - John Popper
America the beautiful - Ray Charles

JT265
11-11-03, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by SteveH
Mandy by Barry Manilow.

actually, that DOES get me right here! <points to stomach>

makes me wanna hurl. :saywhat: :rofl:

indyfan31
11-11-03, 03:49 AM
The theme from Enterprise, together with the scenes of the Apollo 1 astronauts; last season's version, not this year with the stupid drum track enhancements. I swear, why do people insist on screwing with something that's not broken????

Ziggy
11-11-03, 04:13 AM
Rory Gallagher's 1971 debut album titled "Rory Gallagher" is an emotional guitar laiden tour deforce. The song's "I fall apart" and "For the last time" are emotionally charged songs that are just jaw dropping. Search this one out, it's on CD and just licensed for reprint by the late Mr Gallagher's estate.

Rory kicked major booty on a Fender Stratocaster. Run, dont walk to your favorite music retailer, and pick up a copy of this album today. If they dont have it, have them order it. You can blow a couple of hundred dollars on his catalog, and it's worth it. Start at the beginning, and you can omit the albums "Jinx" and "Against the Grain"

RCA, Capo, BMG, Capo 101
www.btinternet.com/~rory.gallagher

Your welcome.

On Hendrix, My favorite studio album is "Electic Ladyland". Jimi's master work IMO. The songs "Have you ever been (to electric ladyland)" "Crosstown Traffic","Voodoo Chile", Little Miss Strange (why this was not an AM hit is beyond me)! "Come On" (thanks Freddie King) "Gypsy Eyes" "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" "Rainy day, Dream away" "1983" "Moon turn the tides" "Still raining, Still dreaming" "House burning down" "All along the watchtower" I mean, come on! This is all on one body of work! Good God, most wankers would cut 15 ALBUMS worth of crap to get this all out there. Hendrix goes into studio, lays down all these great tunes, and puts them all on one body of work! You dont even have to pay triple! One of the best damn values in Rock and Roll, ever!

If your not buying Gary Moore albums right now, you really dont have a record collection!!!

chop456
11-11-03, 04:28 AM
XM Radio has been playing a lot of Rory Gallagher recorded live by the BBC. Good stuff.

I have to agree about Electric Ladyland. My #1 album of all time.

The only reason I see for Little Miss Strange not being a hit is that it was a Noel Redding song. Same with "She's So Fine" from the Axis record.

Long Hot Summer and Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 1983, so many great songs it's sick. Too bad it was the last.

cart7
11-11-03, 06:06 AM
Rory Gallagher?? :eek: I thought I was one of the few still listening. I used to have the Moonchild album back in the days when I still had a bunch of albums.

The Atlanta Rhythm Sections rendition of Spooky always gets me. Reminds me of an old girlfriend I once had.

Also, Dobie Gray's "Drift Away", Springsteens "One step up", Slades "How do you feel", Jonathan Edwards "Shanty" ;) , most anything by Brownsville Station (garage band rock at it's best), Painters "Tell Me Why" and Roy Buchanon's "Can I Change My Mind" live.

Corner5
11-11-03, 12:18 PM
Wicked Game- Chris Isaak
Rumours-Fleetwood Mac-the whole album
Abbey Road-Beatles-whole album
Little Wing&Wind Crys Mary- Hendrix
My favorite of all time is Layla-Derek and the Dominos-the whole album, especially ,I Looked Away,Bell Bottom Blues,Little Wing,and of course the best song Layla with that instrumental that takes you right to Thorn Tree in the Garden!Aaahhh!:cool:

anait
11-11-03, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by indyfan31
The theme from Enterprise, together with the scenes of the Apollo 1 astronauts; last season's version, not this year with the stupid drum track enhancements. I swear, why do people insist on screwing with something that's not broken????

AMEN. I totally agree about that %@#^%$& drum track (and they've added a new guitar track as well, which doesn't suit at ALL - the strumming rhythm makes it sound like two songs are being played at the same time.

While I appreciated TNG's anthem-ish theme, and loved DS9's and Voyager's soaring themes, I really enjoy ENT's. I think it's perfectly suited to the the show, both the words and the 'music of the people' kinda thing. :D I found it very stirring, watching those images.

RaceChic
11-16-03, 01:05 AM
So much so, that I hope nobody minds if I post the lyrics... they are the lyrics to the song "Hands" by Jewel

Artist: JEWEL
Album: Spirit
Title: Hands

If I could tell the world just one thing
It would be that we're all OK
And not to worry 'cause worry is wasteful
And useless in times like these
I won't be made useless
I won't be idle with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
For light does the darkness most fear

My hands are small, I know
But they're not yours, they are my own
And I am never broken

Poverty stole your golden shoes
But it didn't steal your laughter
And heartache came to visit me
But I knew it wasn't ever after

We'll fight, not out of spite
For someone must stand up for what's right
'Cause where there's a man who has no voice
There ours shall go singing

My hands are small I know

And I am never broken

In the end only kindness matters
In the end only kindness matters
I will get down on my knees, and I will pray

And I am never broken

And I am never broken
We are never broken

We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's mind
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's heart
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's eyes
We are God's hands
We are God's hands

Her voice when she sings it... the passion of it. It just moves me. It's about what matters. Persevering when times are tough. "In the end, only kindness matters".