PDA

View Full Version : Is A.J. Allmendinger As Good As They Say?

Jag_Warrior
11-03-03, 08:35 PM
I've missed most of the Toyo Atlantic races this year but I just read an article about him in AutoWeak. Is he as good as the press reports? He seems made for CART... and then maybe F1.

Surely someone has enough sense (and cents) not to allow this kind of talent to be wasted running around in circles. What are the chances that the team will be in CART next year? What kind of sponsorship supports them now?

Railbird
11-03-03, 08:47 PM
I was impressed with him in Barber Dodge and he has done nothing to disappoint in Atlantics.

Kiwifan
11-03-03, 10:03 PM
He ran a few races Downunder a couple of years ago and was scoring points in our Formula Ford series but in the two races I saw at Levels (Timaru) he crashed! I think in both cases he just got caught up in back-markers but I do remember that he and his compatriot impressed quite a few folk down here. For the life of me I can't remember the other guys name.

:o

Rusty.

Barton
11-03-03, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
Surely someone has enough sense (and cents) not to allow this kind of talent to be wasted running around in circles. What are the chances that the team will be in CART next year? What kind of sponsorship supports them now?

Sponsorship? You mean Carl Russo's huge wallet? ;)

Seriously, though... if you really want to, do a quick Google search on Carl Russo and Calix. He's got more than he'll ever need.

Edit: First, AJ's teammate in NZ was current Lynx Racing part-timer and USF2000 Champ Bryan Sellars.

Second, I should probably address the actual issue at hand. AJ went out and whooped the field in Barber Dodge on a regular basis. He has been under Paul Tracy's wing. He whooped the Atlantic field, although he was arguably with the best team, the best equipment, and the most money. But he did what he should have done with all that -- dominate. I'd say he's destined for great success.

Railbird
11-03-03, 10:05 PM
Scott Speed?

JoeBob
11-03-03, 10:59 PM
IIRC, Allmendinger was the first "factory driver" for PT's karting company.

FTG
11-04-03, 07:50 AM
I'd love to see dinger and PT race each other in CART next year.

Sounds like it will happen too.

:thumbup:

pchall
11-04-03, 01:38 PM
I've seen him in BDPS and Atlantics. He looks good, but Danica looks better. ;)

Now about driving talent: he is the real deal. With a good teammate he would be ready next year.

nrc
11-04-03, 08:52 PM
He was immediately the guy to beat in the BDPS and then again in Atlantic. He could be the best American to come into the series in quite a long time.