PDA

View Full Version : Gomers, start your corn-shucking!

rabbit
11-02-03, 05:26 PM
IRL says it would consider using ethanol (http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/1101/1651787.html)

WASHINGTON -- The ethanol industry is trying to popularize the corn-based fuel by getting it into racing cars -- specifically those at the Indianapolis 500.

Ethanol's backers want the Indy Racing League to replace the natural gas-made methanol used on the circuit since the 1970s.

[snip]

"If we had a fuel sponsor who wanted to be involved in advertising ethanol and wanted to be involved in our series, we would give it serious consideration,'' said Fred Nation, executive vice president of communications for the Speedway, which owns the league.

JoeBob
11-02-03, 05:59 PM
If we had a fuel sponsor who wanted to be involved in advertising ethanol and wanted to be involved in our series, we would give it serious consideration.

Translation: We'll do anything for money.

lone_groover
11-02-03, 08:29 PM
HA HA, love that thread title! :D

Jag_Warrior
11-02-03, 08:41 PM
If we had a sponsor who wanted to be involved in advertising...

lone_groover
11-02-03, 09:05 PM
Well, the idea of touting the beneficial uses of corn distillates would definitely resonate (or resignate, as "W" would say) with the I*L's core constituency in Hooterville and Sparta.

The GRANNY's RHEUMATIZ TONIC I*DYCAR SERIES would be a great success.

:)

pchall
11-03-03, 08:45 AM
I hope this doesn't affect the bourbon supply eight years from now. :p

RobGuru
11-03-03, 01:35 PM
If EARL switches to ethanol, they could change the Victory Lane milk tradition (heck, they change every other tradition and invent history, but that's a different thread) and make the driver drink moonshine instead!! That's one way to get Al Jr. back to Victory Lane.

:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
11-03-03, 01:44 PM
Won't happen. Probably require some engineering of the motors to accomodate fuel differences. Honda and Toyota would not sign off on that just to orbit in front of empty bleachers. It's just a gimmick to divert media attention away from their problems. The gimmick won't work either.

FRANKY
11-03-03, 01:45 PM
http://www.ethanol.org/ethanol_racing.html

rabbit
11-03-03, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
http://www.ethanol.org/ethanol_racing.html
...Huset's Speedway in Brandon, South Dakota... They haul people out of there on stretchers you know.

pchall
11-03-03, 04:48 PM
Franky's link suggests ethanol is a really great racing fuel -- it has less of the cooling benefits of running methanol and less of the power of running gas. Mediocrity must be great.

Ethanol would be perfect for running a race in the middle of nowhere with engines no one cares about...

Sheeeesssh. I'd rather revisit SD and have a chance to see the Badlands and the Black Hills again and catch a sprint race than have to go to Gomerville for the Alternative Fuel 500.

RaceGrrl
11-03-03, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Sheeeesssh. I'd rather revisit SD and have a chance to see the Badlands and the Black Hills again and catch a sprint race than have to go to Gomerville for the Alternative Fuel 500.

If Helio wins, do they rename it the Alternative Lifestyle 500?

pchall
11-03-03, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
If Helio wins, do they rename it the Alternative Lifestyle 500?

A reply so good I think I might have an alternative career as a straight man... ;)

FRANKY
11-03-03, 05:55 PM
Franky's link suggests ethanol is a really great racing fuel -- it has less of the cooling benefits of running methanol and less of the power of running gas. Mediocrity must be great.

Ethanol would be perfect for running a race in the middle of nowhere with engines no one cares about...

I only listed it because I was surprised that they have been using it for 12 years in racing.

pchall
11-03-03, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY
I only listed it because I was surprised that they have been using it for 12 years in racing.

Adding your own commentary might help.

Racewriter
11-03-03, 11:33 PM

True. Danny Lasoski ran the crap in his winged sprinter for two or three years when he was driving the Jackpot Junction car. Gaerte never could get an engine to make decent power on it. He dumped the sponsorship, went back to methanol, and won two Knoxville titles in a row.

They tried to get me to run it in my late model one time, but I run gas. Always have, always will.