PDA

View Full Version : Home Theatre system help.

mapguy
11-02-03, 11:35 AM
All-

I just added a VCR to my home theatre system and for some reason I am having problems. :gomer: When I first got the system and hooked it up I had full surround when watching tv. When we moved I made a point of labelling each cable end with where it came from. When I hooked it back up in our new apartment we can only get full surround with the DVD player. Now that I have hooked up the VCR I can get full surround but still nothing for the TV. Is there a web site with a schematic where I can find out what the hell I did wrong?

JT265
11-02-03, 11:41 AM
Make sure the VCR is set so it reads....

12:00

<sorry> :D

Rolling Chicane
11-02-03, 06:46 PM
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php helped a lot when I was setting mine up a while back.

chop456
11-03-03, 09:33 AM
I'm hanging a question of my own on your thread, Mappy.

I just hooked up in-wall speakers in the kitchen. I ran the speaker wires, being careful to keep the - and + straight. The lines run from the receiver to an in-line volume control, then to the speakers. The problem is that I'm not getting stereo output. I'm assuming that the terminals on the volume control are marked correctly.

mapguy
11-03-03, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by chop456

I just hooked up in-wall speakers in the kitchen. I ran the speaker wires, being careful to keep the - and + straight. The lines run from the receiver to an in-line volume control, then to the speakers. The problem is that I'm not getting stereo output. I'm assuming that the terminals on the volume control are marked correctly.

No problemo. I am no expert (see above :D ) but the only two things that I can think of is that the volume control is hosed, that the coating on the wiring that is inserted into the control was not properly cleared or that the remote possibility that the + and - got mixed up. (I know that's three...) I used Monster wire and I had to double check every time I hooked up a speaker for the hard-to-see white labelling on one of the wires.

The other option is to crank the volume up to 11 and you should have no problem listening to it from the kitchen.

I finally got mine hooked up thanks to Rolling Chicane's post and an emergency Tech Support call to my brother.

cart7
11-03-03, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by chop456

I'd look at the volume control. Any hook up diagrams provided with it?

Also, try reversing one set of wires, + & -.

chop456
11-03-03, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by cart7
Also, try reversing one set of wires, + & -.

Damn you and your infernal logic!! ;)

Joelski
11-07-03, 11:37 AM
Here is a rule I have given to some of my friends to observe:

Front panel = Consumer's side. Volume, display, etc....

Rear panel = No touchie! Pay an experienced professional to muck back there! I will do it for beer! :D

As you can see, I get beers that way. Honestly, there is absolutely no sense in taking the time to label and cable tie patch cables and such as the moment you do, you get the urge to add a new componenet and everything gets hosed. This is a law.