PDA

View Full Version : Foyt Futility Watch picks up intensity!

Racewriter
11-01-03, 12:07 AM
Lightning Larry is now making his end of the season charge! After going 0-for-October in actually making the starting lineup, Larry will start 32nd in the Checker 500 on Sunday!

In a related development, confusion ensued in the Team Harrah's garage. By the end of qualifying, the 14 had been secured in the transporter, which had made it 15 miles east of Phoenix when a hurried cell phone call brought it back to unload for final practice. "Our truck driver is a very focused guy," Larry told reporters. "He's so used to heading out on Friday that he was just sticking with his routine."

DaveL
11-01-03, 12:30 AM
Is there any truth to the rumor that the driver also had to make a stop at JCPenny on the way back to buy underwear and PJ's for the weekend after not packing for a three day stay?

JT265
11-01-03, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
Is there any truth to the rumor that the driver also had to make a stop at JCPenny on the way back to buy underwear and PJ's for the weekend after not packing for a three day stay?

And a razor?

DaveL
11-01-03, 12:11 PM
Given his lofty starting position, I'm figuring it will take Foyt a good 5-6 laps before he's running DFL.

Jonezzy_33
11-01-03, 02:28 PM
:rofl: :laugh:

EDwardo
11-01-03, 03:01 PM
Last summer I was offered a pit pass for the Harrah's car while still in the Busch series. I went because, hey how many times do you get to be in the pits courtesy of the major sponsor? My greatest fear was that he would last a couple of laps and crash. By lap 25 I would be standing in an empty pit. Larry gave it the old college try though and damaged his car just enough to require a pitstop lasting several laps to replace a punctured radiator. Eventually, back onto the track he went and he dutifully soldiered through the rest of the race. I actually had a great time and the pressure was off that he might actully be dicing for a top ten spot. He was alone on his own lap practicing being a rolling chicane in preparation for moving up to race with the big boys.

cart7
11-01-03, 05:46 PM
This should be a challenge for the Harrah's entertainment VP as well. He probably completely forgot about the fact the company even had a Nascar effort and he probably quit bothering to book rooms for the weekend many weeks ago.

pchall
11-03-03, 08:42 AM
I finally got around to checking the results, having missed the race as usual since there are almost always better things to do on a Sunday afternoon -- like go to the matinŽe performance of the opera.

Looks like Larry made it through the attrition and wrecks to wind up 28th and next to last on the lead lap, ahead of only some guy racing a UPS truck.

I suppose this means Foyt Racing gets a provisional or two to see them into the last couple of races? Well, that will keep us from having to wrap up the Futility Watch thread by 7 pm on Fridays. :)

DaveL
11-03-03, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Looks like Larry made it through the attrition and wrecks to wind up 28th and next to last on the lead lap, ahead of only some guy racing a UPS truck.

NASCAR lets the first car one lap down get its lap back each time there is a yellow. The race yesterday set a track record for yellows so Larry was finally the beneficiary. He spent the entire day running DFL among cars who had no on track problems and never ran at the lead lap pace. His finishing on the lead lap had nothing to do with the speed he was running, and everything to with the yellows and NASCAR rules as they pertain.

RobGuru
11-03-03, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
NASCAR lets the first car one lap down get its lap back each time there is a yellow. The race yesterday set a track record for yellows so Larry was finally the beneficiary. He spent the entire day running DFL among cars who had no on track problems and never ran at the lead lap pace. His finishing on the lead lap had nothing to do with the speed he was running, and everything to with the yellows and NASCAR rules as they pertain.

Kinda holding up the family name then. IV does the same thing in EARL... except it's the Shammy yellows that IV benefits from.

DaveL
11-03-03, 02:48 PM
As an illustration of the difference between a Real Driver and a Foyt, Scott Wimmer making his 3rd start in the #22 finished in the top ten and passed (Memo to Foyt fans: "Pass" means that one driver drove past another because he was more skilled) a bunch of cars to do so. Larry simply had cars with problems fall back to him.

Looks like this means the transporter driver is going to have pack for 3 days for the next two races now that Larry got some more provisional points.

pchall
11-03-03, 05:08 PM
Wow.

The Master DaveL schools us in the True Meaning of Futility.

We, his humble acolytes, are NOT worthy.