PDA

View Full Version : ASTJ laid off 90% of its staff

Audi_A4
10-31-03, 07:42 PM
Ar1 is reporting that ASTJ has laid off 90% of its staff and is down to a skeleton sized crew.

jonovision_man
10-31-03, 08:50 PM
Yikes... If AR1 is reporting bad news for CART, it's almost certainly true! :-(

jono

nissan gtp
10-31-03, 08:55 PM
very bad news all around if true.

big if IMO :shakehead

Railbird
10-31-03, 09:01 PM
since ASTJ was one of the mainly series-supported teams I would imagine their fate lies in whether or not the buyout is completed.

Even if they have a high tech sponsor "waiting in the wings" I would have to think it all depends on the guarantee of a functional series.

Audi_A4
10-31-03, 11:45 PM
actually the site says 25% but I swear that I read 90% earlier ... oh well

Railbird
11-01-03, 08:49 AM
25%?

Hell that's only about four people...;)

Figure in the AR1 factor and we might be looking at a janitor getting the ax.

EDwardo
11-01-03, 12:20 PM
Heck, that sounds about average for a business entity in the jobless recovery we are experiencing. Maybe they are adopting the WaMart model and have several part time illegals lined up.
Those 4 left just have to take on more responsibilities and be grateful they still have a job. I wonder how fast one guy can do a 4 tire change and a refuel?

nrc
11-01-03, 03:20 PM
Seems to me that it would be pretty common for small teams to lay off people during the off-season. It's just the nature of the business that you don't need your full crew during the off season if you don't have the budget for a lot of testing.

nrc
11-01-03, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Audi_A4
actually the site says 25% but I swear that I read 90% earlier ... oh well

You don't think AR1 would go back an edit a mistake without noting that they screwed up, do you? ;)

trubritz
11-01-03, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Seems to me that it would be pretty common for small teams to lay off people during the off-season. It's just the nature of the business that you don't need your full crew during the off season if you don't have the budget for a lot of testing.

Yep, that's how I see it too.

Audi_A4
11-01-03, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by nrc
You don't think AR1 would go back an edit a mistake without noting that they screwed up, do you? ;)
naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh:eek: :gomer:

stools
11-02-03, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Railbird
since ASTJ was one of the mainly series-supported teams I would imagine their fate lies in whether or not the buyout is completed.

How anyone could quote or even go to AR1 is always beyond me. Second Team Johannson is owned by two very private and VERY rich men along with Stephan. That is why there was hardly no sponsorship on the car.

Railbird
11-02-03, 12:56 PM
Second Team Johannson is owned by two very private and VERY rich men along with Stephan.

Too private and rich to buy Lolas or to provide updates for both Reynards?

I frankly find that hard to believe.

JT265
11-02-03, 01:00 PM
Second Team Johannson is owned by two very private and VERY rich men along with Stephan.

Dammit 'Bird, we wanted a race TEAM!!!!!

Didn't say anywhere that we had to be competitive!!! ;)

stools
11-02-03, 01:29 PM

Well somebody that knows sombody who knows their cousin told me this and I believe everything I read or hear.:eek: So there;)

Seriously though, I've read it numerous times in reputable magazines, etc. The owners were talked about because of the no sponsorship on the cars thing. Also, the not having Lola's came up too because if they had the money why not buy them? I have no answers. Just going with what I've hear and read many times. Other teams had Reynards too. It's not like none of them couldn't afford a Lola. It's not like the Lola costs a billion dollars and the Reynard costs a nickle. Just because the Lola is more competitive doesn't mean it costs more. The chassis are both expensive as hell. So one team having and not having them doesn't come down to finances.

Anyone racing in Champ Car is hardly strapped for cash in the sense of trying to make a living. That is why they are in Champ Car and blowing tons of money ridiculously. I thank them all dearly for being so careless with their money:p

pchall
11-03-03, 08:58 AM
Didn't ASTJ buy what had been the competitive Forsythe Reynards from 2002?

DjDrOmusic
11-03-03, 10:59 AM
I remember reading somewhere that Stefan had a chance to go with the Lola at mid season, but had just aquired the Reynske update, so they decided to stick with the Reynard, instead of having to learn a whole new car. I don't remember where I read it but I do remember a story to that effect.

RichK
11-03-03, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Didn't ASTJ buy what had been the competitive Forsythe Reynards from 2002?

I think "buy" is too stong a term. I remember Bob Varsha and TK talking about ASTJ making "BMW 7-Series payments" on their Reynards.

Dr. Corkski
11-03-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by RichK
I think "buy" is too stong a term. I remember Bob Varsha and TK talking about ASTJ making "BMW 7-Series payments" on their Reynards. Correct. It was mentioned during the SPEED Mid-Ohio broadcase that Forsythe gave ASTJ a "sweetheart deal" for the main purpose of keeping 18 cars (at that time) on the grid. It would seem very strange that a team with two super rich owners would be the only team in need financial assistance from Forsythe.