PDA

View Full Version : October 31st, 1999 - Greg Moore

devilmaster
10-30-03, 08:49 PM
http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/moore3.jpg

Miss ya Greg.

TSN tribute show (30 Minutes) (http://www.mnsi.net/~smicalef/moore_tribute_show.asx) (copy the url into Media player)

Steve

fourrunner
10-30-03, 09:04 PM
With you on that Devilmaster!!:thumbup:

Audi_A4
10-30-03, 09:21 PM
Greg was full of class and a great racer

cartmanoz
10-30-03, 09:54 PM
Touching video tribute. I never realised just how popular he was in Canada, though I always knew he was a top bloke.

Jay
10-30-03, 10:36 PM
Excellent tribute! :thumbup: Thanks for posting it, to be honest, following CART hasn't been the same for me since Greg's accident. He was my favorite driver by far, and I used to cheer for him harder than anyone else - if he was out of the race, I barely followed it. Though I'll go for Paul Tracy, Darren Manning and other great drivers, nobody has gotten my attention the way Greg did. Thanks for the great memories and the life long-lessons Greg!

Lizzerd
10-31-03, 02:07 AM
Thank you for that link, Steve.

The poolside interview was great. I don't remember hearing a driver describe so eloquently in his own words the precision required to cycle the fastest possible laps in a Champ Car, lap after lap. Finding and hitting the breaking point to a turn. How to find the limit on each and every turn. The "oneness" with the car. The forces exerted on the body. The acceleration.

RIP, Greg.

mapguy
10-31-03, 07:07 AM
I can't believe it's been 4 years.

chop456
10-31-03, 07:50 AM
Me neither.

I don't like to go on about what could have been, but I can't help but think about it. I don't think anything else I've seen on TV has made such an impression on me.

I'm just glad I could see 2 of his wins in person.

rabbit
10-31-03, 08:55 AM
I remember hearing once that the much of the F1 paddock was together watching the race at Rio when he made that great outside pass on Zanardi late in the race. The person who was recounting the story (sorry, I don't remember who it was) said that the group yelled a collective "Wow!"

Yep. With Greg you said "wow" a lot. :thumbup:

JT265
10-31-03, 09:11 AM
Indeed Rabbit.

devilmaster
10-31-03, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
I remember hearing once that the much of the F1 paddock was together watching the race at Rio when he made that great outside pass on Zanardi late in the race. The person who was recounting the story (sorry, I don't remember who it was) said that the group yelled a collective "Wow!"

It was written in Greg's Biography that Sir Frank Williams woke Neil Micklewright in the middle of the night a day or two after, marvelled at that pass to Neil, and asked about Greg's contract. Neil told him that Greg was under contract till 1999. Frank asked to be kept in touch. No doubt in my mind Greg would have made F1.

Steve

mapguy
10-31-03, 05:47 PM
This has to be the best G pic I have seen. This is a pic from Peter Burke at Speedcenter.com (http://www.speedcenter.com) . I want to thank Peter for taking one of the most haunting images I have ever seen in Motorsports.

http://www.champcar.com/gallery/gallery99/10elkhart/desert_visions.jpg

chop456
11-01-03, 03:25 AM
I still have Speedcenter's GM screensaver on my laptop, and that's one of the pics. It's a great one.

Available here, at the bottom of the page.

http://www.speedcenter.com/interactive/screensaver/saver.html

Kiwifan
11-01-03, 04:33 AM
I don't cry very often but I did that day. Sent a sympathy card to his family and I got a thank you note two years running. A class act all round. We miss ya mate.............

Rusty.

Hardpoint
11-01-03, 10:03 AM
That certainly is one day I will never forget. My wife and I were on our honeymoon in Vancouver just 2 months earlier and had a chance to spend a few minutes talking with him in the paddock. Man was he cool. He had a way of making two ordinary CART fans from Ohio feel like the center of the racing world for a couple of minutes. My wife was a tremendous GM fan. I think Oct 31, 1999 is the last day she really felt passionate about the sport.

rabbit
11-01-03, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by GoBucks
My wife was a tremendous GM fan. I think Oct 31, 1999 is the last day she really felt passionate about the sport. Same here. She used to know all the drivers and sponsors and would sit through a whole race with me.

I don't think she'd watched ten laps since that day. That is until she went to Cleveland with me this year and met Sebastien. Now she's getting back into it more, as long as SeaBass is running up front.

jcollins28
11-01-03, 04:44 PM
One of the best things about Greg was this. If you were a fan and you went to the races. You met Greg Moore plain and simple he was always there to shake a hand or sign for anyone.

JohnHKart
11-03-03, 09:44 AM
Sheesh talk about crying.....the day after the race...I brought the tape back to my cruise ship and watched it after my gig....Monday night. Late at night about 3AM Tuesday Nov 2nd, no doubt I'd drunk a beer or two...I cried my guts out at the end. I am still haunted by that race...and still hear the words and see the images of that day....Doctor Olvey's announcement, the fade out looking over the mountains with Greg's smiling face and 1975-1999, Jon Beekuis saying after the Bock announcement "The crews right now are finding it very difficult to concentrate on their jobs"...

JH

KaBoom21
11-03-03, 03:18 PM
That picture of a shaken Carpentier was something else as well.

mapguy
11-03-03, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by KaBoom21
That picture of a shaken Carpentier was something else as well.

http://slam.canoe.ca/GregMooreImages/moore19.jpg

Chaos
11-03-03, 04:21 PM
I always get that 'what if...' feeling everytime i see a pic of him or his car.

It really sucks that something we all have a deep passion for can be so unforgiving.

rabbit
11-03-03, 04:36 PM
For me, perhaps the most heart-breaking photo from that weekend...
http://www.champcar.com/gallery/gallery99/20fontana/roberto_was_available480.jpg

JoeBob
11-03-03, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by JohnHKart
Sheesh talk about crying.....the day after the race...I brought the tape back to my cruise ship and watched it after my gig....Monday night. Late at night about 3AM Tuesday Nov 2nd, no doubt I'd drunk a beer or two...I cried my guts out at the end. I am still haunted by that race...and still hear the words and see the images of that day....Doctor Bock, the fade out looking over the mountains with Greg's smiling face and 1975-1999, Jon Beekuis saying after the Bock announcement "The crews right now are finding it very difficult to concentrate on their jobs"...

JH

The doctor was Dr. Olvey. I'll never forget the interview with him, and the careful words he chose, that Greg had been transported by air for "further resuscitative efforts."

A few minutes later, the fire alarms in apartment building I lived in went off. The people who lived across the hall from me decided to do some grilling on their wooden balcony. In the hallway, I smelled smoke. When I got outside, I saw flames crawling up the side of the building. Thankfully, residents of the building thought quickly, and used whatever fire extinguishers were around to control the flames, and contain the damage to a few balconies.

What a crappy day.

JohnHKart
11-03-03, 07:55 PM
Oh geez how could I screw that up....It's Doctor Steve Olvey of course...See what all those recent IRL wrecks have done to my brain!! Yes I won't forget the first interview, I was thinking about it....The pit reporter asking him if these are life threatening injuries and him saying yes.

JH