PDA

View Full Version : digi cam

nz_climber
10-30-03, 01:12 AM
I know the mp3 player thread was running a bit off topic, but Im looking at buying a digital camera, what should I get, Im not a professional, and unsure to go for a simple point and shot (like cannon powershot stuff) or for something with a few more options (like the fiji S5000, Minolta Z1 etc)

Any ideas here, wanted to spend about a $1000 NZD (about $500 USD)

I want to take pictures at races, and out climbing in the mountains etc

TIA
Aaron

Lizzerd
10-30-03, 01:23 AM
chop might still have one.

Link (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2673)

Sorry... couldn't resist.

But seriously, I don't have an answer for you. I have a 3 - 4 year old digital camera, but it's only good for still shots. Sorry.

nz_climber
10-30-03, 01:59 AM
heheh - I could see that coming a mile off, makes me laugh everytime thou :D

Kiwifan
10-30-03, 05:48 AM
Aaron, I went here Reviews (http://www.dpreview.com/) to find out all about things digital. Great learning place and it has plenty of tips as well. We got the Pentax Optio 550 with a huge discount. We were going to buy the 400 model (4mp) but because two of us wanted cameras the guy traded us up for a similar price.

If you can find someone else who wants one too I could possibly get either one for about the same price you are suggesting. Let me know if you are serious. He only deals Pentax. Seemingly there are pros and cons for most brands and models. I'll try and get some pics to you next week. ;)

Later mate,

Rusty.

mapguy
10-30-03, 07:33 AM
My mom-in-law has the Pentax Optio 550. It is cute and small and it meows. Other than that it is pretty much a hard camera to use for me. Because it is so small the buttons are really tiny and really hard to use. Other than that it takes great pictures and it has Pentax glass. So you know the lens is great.

I would go for the Fuji S5000. It has a far better lens, zoom-wise. Plus you can opt for practically full manual control over it if you wish, with the exception of focusing. An added bonus is that it has a lens thread so you can add wide-angle and telephoto lens attachments.

chop456
10-30-03, 07:45 AM
I vote for Fuji, too. Warlock and Rocket have the same camera and it's realy nice. 10x optical zoom, etc.

If you'd like to buy a completely obsolete 3-year old Nikon, let me know. I think I paid about $35,983 for it originally. :D

manic mechanic
10-31-03, 03:05 AM
For your money, SKIP the Fuji S-5000 if you are at all serious about playing with the camera...It is essentially a "dumbed down" version if the S-602z that I use trackside.

True, the zoom is a shade better, and the image sensor and burst modes are comparable, but it is nowhere near as flexible or durable as my S-602z.

Best bet would be to find a store that still has a 602 (either in the box or as a demo) and do a comparison. I think the S-5000 feels cheap and plasticky (and has more "tactile" noise) compared to my 602.

Fuji advertised the 602 as a 6mp camera, but it interpolates a 6mp sensor down to 3.1mp...11x14 prints on 6mp fine setting are as good as those of guys that were using D1x Nikons and S-2 pro Fujis when we shot side by side at LBGP this year, and the 602 weighs only 20 ounces (compared to the 3+lb D1x and S-2 packages).

The 602z will give you the best bang for the buck, IMHO.

Haven't tried the S-7000 yet, but I know it's on the same platform as the S-5000 (too much fluff, not enough substance).

manic

Methanolandbrats
10-31-03, 09:12 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.steves-digicams.com/ for doing research. Pro forum
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

Non SLR digital cameras all have shutter lag. This is an outstanding choice in a non-slr http://www.dpreview.com/news/0309/03092902olympusc5060.asp It is one of the few cameras that is wider than 35mm on the short end. A very nice feature. Lens is also fast and shutter lag is minimized.

nz_climber
11-02-03, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys for the advice :)

Methanolandbrats: the 602z looks good but bit its abit out of my range! and weather it would be worth it with my limited skills?

manic mechanic
11-03-03, 12:37 AM
nz, trust me...When I bought my 602, I felt "this camera is better than I am" (and I have been shooting for over 30 years).

Less than a year later, it was the perfect choice. It's flexibility and ease of use are exceptional! My wife can even use this camera like a pro.

Take my word for it, the 602z is the right choice. e-mail me and I'll send you some shots I did trackside with it.

manic :D

Methanolandbrats
11-03-03, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by nz_climber
Thanks guys for the advice :)

Methanolandbrats: the 602z looks good but bit its abit out of my range! and weather it would be worth it with my limited skills? That camera has a nice zoom range, I've never used it, so I don't know what the lag is like. Since other people have taken it to the track, the lag must be usable for racing. As far as your "skills" go, they will improve rapidly once you switch to digital because you can try new techniques and get instant feedback. Your experiments are also free! Have fun.

Methanolandbrats
11-03-03, 08:33 AM
I checked prices and for about $1,100 or so from a reputable dealer (B&H in NewYork, Central in Chicago) you can get a Canon EOS Rebel with a short lens included and then buy a Canon EF 75-300 f4-5.6 USM-2lens. That will give you a 120-480 mm zoom for raceday and a 28-90 mm lens for everyday use. This is an unbelieveable amount of firepower for $1000. Spend the extra $400 over the Fuji, you'll thank me later.

Warlock!
11-04-03, 09:28 AM
Just got an e-mail promo for up to 30% digi cams at Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/retail/specialty_store_9.asp?loc=33489)
They have a "new" camera area and supposedly they have deals all thru November.

Warlock!

Methanolandbrats
11-04-03, 11:22 AM
I use Nikon Gear, so I'm not sure how this applies to other brands, but it's worth mentioning. Make sure you are not buying grey market equipment. That means the seller imported it without going through the official importer. There are dozens of sellers who offer grey market equipment for less than the price of officially imported gear. In the case of Nikon, if you buy grey market gear and it breaks, you don't have the Nikon USA warranty. That means Nikon won't touch it. You are at the mercy of whatever repair shop the seller is affiliated with. I buy most of my gear from Central Camera in Chicago, some from B&H in New York and some from Cooter Camera in Texas. Those three do not sell grey market equipment, or in the case of B&H, it is clearly marked. I could go on with endless horror stories of people buying grey market gear, but I'll keep is short and just say make sure you are getting the manufacturers USA warranty and not something rephrased as "USA warranty".

nz_climber
11-04-03, 02:52 PM
I could almost afford some of these camera's your talking about if the NZD was about equal with the USD :(

Stupid exchange rate!!

So I pretty much limited to $500 USD

*swears at exchange rate guy*