PDA

View Full Version : Fontana postponed

RTKar
10-28-03, 08:42 PM
According to Indy radio. From info on the track website.

Brickman
10-28-03, 08:45 PM
King Taco 500 Postponed
California Speedway’s King Taco 500 Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford event scheduled for Sunday, November 2nd, and the NASCAR Winston West Series King Taco 200 scheduled for Saturday, November 1st, have been postponed due to the state of emergency declared in San Bernardino County and surrounding counties as a result of the wildfires burning in the area. Potential alternative dates for rescheduling the events are being reviewed, according to Bill Miller, president of California Speedway.

“We have been monitoring the fire situation since it began last week in the northern section of Fontana, approximately five miles from the speedway,” Miller said. “As the fires have continued to spread, several issues were considered for us to arrive at this decision, including the proximity of the fire, the air quality, transportation issues and staffing requirements from a fire safety, medical, security and volunteer standpoint needed to stage an event. Based on the request of state and local officials, we are postponing this weekend’s events, and we will try to find suitable dates to reschedule them in the future.

“In addition, we have received a few comments from our guests urging us not to hold this event. We value the opinions of our customers. It is never easy to make a decision like this, but the bottom line is safety; the safety of the guests and the competitors. Based on the current situation, we can’t guarantee that this weekend will provide the appropriate atmosphere to conduct these events with the limited resources available because of the state of emergency, Miller said.

According to recent updates provided by incidentcontrol.com (a website monitoring the Grand Prix and Old Fires), more than 80,000 acres have burned in the San Bernardino area and more than 3,500 personnel are currently fighting this fire.

“We fully support the speedway’s decision to not run this weekend’s event,” NASCAR Regional Touring Series/Weekly Racing Series Director Chris Boals said. “We appreciate their efforts, in coordination with state and local authorities, in arriving at this decision. Conducting this event with the current state of affairs in Southern California is not prudent at this time, especially with several of our Winston West Series teams located in the area. The focus should be, and rightly so, on the situation at hand, and our thoughts are with all of those affected by the fires.”

Bill Miller concluded, “Public health and safety is paramount and the focus at these difficult times should be on family and helping your fellow neighbor. Citizens of Southern California have never experienced a fire of this magnitude and the devastation that it has placed upon our community. I’m committing the speedway to help in any way we can and will begin getting our staff organized to assist in relief efforts.”

pchall
10-28-03, 08:54 PM
"It's CART's fault." ;)

Railbird
10-28-03, 08:57 PM
I know some of our friends with plans might not agree, but I see this as the only workable deal.

SteveH
10-28-03, 09:24 PM
I agree and now I've got two top row tickets for this race. Can't cancel my trip as its a package..... in Vegas. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stay there through Mondya nd find something to amuse myself with. Only problem is it has the potential of getting real expensive now.

If anyone is interested in my tickets, pm me.

EDwardo
10-29-03, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by pchall
"It's CART's fault." ;)

Exactly what my first thought was.It is clear to me that the IRL would never have had this problem. We must never forget that Tony has "vision"!

nrc
10-29-03, 01:37 AM
According to this story CART had not yet agreed to the postponement. Smells like ISC waited until after their close of business and made the call without them.

http://sports.myway.com/news/10282003/v3474.html

I think that's the right decision, but CART probably has legitimate concerns that ISC is going to use this as a reason to cancel the event and get out of their sanction fee under a force majeure clause.

I wouldn't think that ISC would think about sending all that ticket money back, but it seems awful early to be talking like this...

"The event is not canceled at this point, it is postponed," Miller said. "But they have to make a decision soon."

Napoleon
10-29-03, 08:21 AM
After watching the evening news last night I could hardly imagine anouther outcome then postponing the race.

Don Quixote
10-29-03, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
After watching the evening news last night I could hardly imagine anouther outcome then postponing the race.
I agree. This is a case where racing would be an unwelcome distraction to what is going on in the real world.

RaceGrrl
10-29-03, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Don Quixote
I agree. This is a case where racing would be an unwelcome distraction to what is going on in the real world.

CART raced in Germany after the tragedy of 9/11. We welcomed the distraction then, or at least I did. Having said that, I do think that racing this weekend would be a bad idea.

JoeBob
10-29-03, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by nrc
According to this story CART had not yet agreed to the postponement. Smells like ISC waited until after their close of business and made the call without them.

Payback for Homestead?

I wouldn't be shocked if we've already seen the final CART event at Fontana. Next year's event was already designated "The Official Red-Headed Stepchild of California Speedway" and only seemed to be on the schedule due to contractual obligations.

I suspect ISC will offer CART a nice check to walk away from this year's race and next year's. I'd like to see CART race at Fontana again, but I don't think its worth holding races at tracks where you're not wanted.

JoeBob
10-29-03, 11:48 AM
Interesting quote from the Indy Star ( http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/3/087749-7983-037.html )

"Apparently, back in Indianapolis, they don't realize the impact the fires have had, fires that came within five miles of the track at one point, but after talking with the CART people most of the day, we made the decision to call it off this weekend," said Bill Miller, California Speedway president.

"We struggled with the decision all day long and finally made it on our own. Our dialogue with the CART management team was very disappointing, but all we had to do was look up in the sky and see ashes falling down and the decision was made easy."

FRANKY
10-29-03, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Interesting quote from the Indy Star ( http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/3/087749-7983-037.html )

They needed to send a represntative when things started looking bad.

They simply can't put fans in a position where they are traveling across the country only to have a late last minute decision from CART.

Even though CART may not even have the same name next year, caring more about your race than fans and a community would be a Public Relations blunder.

RaceGrrl
10-29-03, 12:20 PM
After reading more of Miller's comments, I agree with nrc that ISC is spinning this one really hard.

devilmaster
10-29-03, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by FRANKY

They simply can't put fans in a position where they are traveling across the country only to have a late last minute decision from CART.

Even though CART may not even have the same name next year, caring more about your race than fans and a community would be a Public Relations blunder.

Originally posted by pchall
"It's CART's fault." ;)

Wow, PC! You called it even before the lem...... ummm.... 'faithful' held up the IndyScar and said "see?.... see?"

:rolleyes:
Steve

FRANKY
10-29-03, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Wow, PC! You called it even before the lem...... ummm.... 'faithful' held up the IndyScar and said "see?.... see?"

Steve

Pssst "would be".

I never said CART blundered. The only thing I pointed out was the obvious. Wild fires close to the track? Send someone. They should have enough frequent flyer miles to get there.

SteveH
10-29-03, 12:49 PM
Let's get real...... for most fans traveling across country to get to this event, any cancellation/postponement made in the past two weeks would be considered last minute. For me, I booked the pacakge over a month ago. Whether the decision was made Tuesday, today or even last week would have very little effect on my travel plans. They stay as booked. I just won't be going to a race on Sunday.

JoeBob
10-29-03, 12:54 PM

What makes you think that CART just started talking with them yesterday? Clearly, the event can't take place this weekend.

You have to keep California Speedway's past dealings with CART in mind. Earlier this year, they removed next year's CART event from their season ticket packages, despite there being a contract in place to hold the event. That doesn't leave me with the impression that California Speedway is commited to growing the race. Rather, it leaves me with the impression that they're just running out the clock.

I get the impression that ISC wanted to cancel the event outright, and use this as a way to be rid of CART at their track once and for all. CART, meanwhile, has commitments to sponsors and shareholders to hold the event as advertised. (Even if that means changing the date or the venue.) They also have plans for major announcements, as well as a season ending banquet all coordinated with the event.

That California Speedway would go public with their comments tells me all I need to know about their commitment to CART and their fans. Surely they could have made the announcement, and saved the pot-shots for later.

JT265
10-29-03, 12:55 PM
Agree with NRC and JoeBob on this one.

RichK
10-29-03, 12:58 PM
Good post, JoeBob.

Corner5
10-29-03, 01:00 PM
From the pictures I saw on WT last night, the fire is in the hills in full view of the track. CART made the right call. It would be too smokey,but more than that ,how can you enjoy a race while watching a fire that is killing people and destroying their homes.
For irl to be spining this is putting their own agenda in front of the thoughts and safety of others. :confused:

FRANKY
10-29-03, 01:07 PM
What makes you think that CART just started talking with them yesterday? Clearly, the event can't take place this weekend.

You have to keep California Speedway's past dealings with CART in mind. Earlier this year, they removed next year's CART event from their season ticket packages, despite there being a contract in place to hold the event. That doesn't leave me with the impression that California Speedway is commited to growing the race. Rather, it leaves me with the impression that they're just running out the clock.

I get the impression that ISC wanted to cancel the event outright, and use this as a way to be rid of CART at their track once and for all. CART, meanwhile, has commitments to sponsors and shareholders to hold the event as advertised. (Even if that means changing the date or the venue.) They also have plans for major announcements, as well as a season ending banquet all coordinated with the event.

That California Speedway would go public with their comments tells me all I need to know about their commitment to CART and their fans. Surely they could have made the announcement, and saved the pot-shots for later.

I never implied that they just started talking with them. I just know that having their own set of eyes there instead of watching the nightly news would help a great deal getting the big picture.

I suspect there is a decision making vacuum at CART.

I agree that the pot shot was uncalled for. But I'm not privy to their discussion. CART could be taking a very very hard line that we must race this weekend, no ifs no buts about it.

FRANKY
10-29-03, 01:11 PM
Clearly, the event can't take place this weekend.

Since it's obvious to you. Why do you think it isn't obvious to CART?

Why was the dialogue "disappointing"?

RaceGrrl
10-29-03, 01:13 PM
FRANKY, what makes you think that simply because CART hasn't announced their plans yet that it means that they had decided to race? That's a pretty big leap.

Seems like you bought Miller's side of the story without having heard word one from CART.

Turn7
10-29-03, 01:14 PM
This isn't a CART self promo job therefore, they can't tell the buyer that they won't supply the product.

The buyer is totally responsible for canceling the race as well as paying the sanctioning body any extra expenses that may arise from such actions.

devilmaster
10-29-03, 01:19 PM
I never implied that they just started talking with them. I just know that having their own set of eyes there instead of watching the nightly news would help a great deal getting the big picture.

I suspect there is a decision making vacuum at CART.

I agree that the pot shot was uncalled for. But I'm not privy to their discussion. CART could be taking a very very hard line that we must race this weekend, no ifs no buts about it.

You say you're not privy to the discussion, yet you say you think there is a decision making vacuum at CART. :shakehead

CART wants to race this weekend. Postponement or cancellation will cost CART money. I completely understand CART's position.... I also completely understand ISC's position.

The one thing that shouldn't be done, is judging those by only hearing one side of the story. Between what ISC and CART both say, the truth is in there somewhere.

Steve

FRANKY
10-29-03, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
FRANKY, what makes you think that simply because CART hasn't announced their plans yet that it means that they had decided to race? That's a pretty big leap.

Good point.

CART could have been in full agreement with California Speedway. They are just 17+ hours later saying so.

devilmaster
10-29-03, 01:22 PM
I forgot IndyScar was gospel. :shakehead :rolleyes:

Steve

JT265
10-29-03, 01:32 PM
Good point.

CART could have been in full agreement with California Speedway. They are just 17+ hours later saying so.

And I agree that Donnie Beechler is an up and coming deserving "Murrican that needs to be in a seat in earl. See, I drink too.

Further, I also happen to believe that Beta beats VHS hands down.

Yet it turns out that I am 17 years too late in my assumptions.

And yet, I believe that CART may want to be able to announce a rain date, or sadly in this case, a "fire date".

Conspiracy, Franky? You decide.

FRANKY
10-29-03, 01:37 PM
I forgot IndyScar was gospel. :shakehead :rolleyes:

Steve

It's an AP story not an IndyScar story.

Associated Press

Last update: 28 October 2003

FONTANA, Calif. -- The CART season-finale, scheduled for Sunday at California Speedway, has been postponed indefinitely due to the state of emergency caused by a series of wildfires in and around San Bernardino County.

Bill Miller, president of the speedway, said CART officials wanted to run the event as scheduled and there were lengthy discussions between the track and the sanctioning body on Monday and Tuesday before the track made its decision.

"They felt the situation had the potential to clear up, and it's true that it could. But we took the responsibility into our own hands and told them, 'This is what we're going to do,"' Miller said Tuesday. "Where we saw this developing the last day, it made this decision pretty easy."

CART officials were not immediately available for comment.

Miller said the speedway gave CART several options on rescheduling the King Taco 500. He said the track is in use more than 300 days a year and there are very few open dates available between now and the end of 2003.

"The event is not canceled at this point, it is postponed," Miller said. "But they have to make a decision soon."

The track is located about 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

"We have been monitoring the fire situation since it began last week in the northern section of Fontana, approximately five miles from the speedway," Miller said. "As the fires have continued to spread, several issues were considered for us to arrive at this decision, including the proximity of the fire, the air quality, transportation issues and staffing requirements from a fire safety, medical, security and volunteer standpoint needed to stage an event."

He also noted the safety of track employees, volunteers and fans is most important.

There were estimates by late Tuesday that the fires known as the Grand Prix and the Old Fires, which have now merged, have burned more than 80,000 acres in the San Bernardino area and that more than 3,500 firefighters are battling the blaze.

A NASCAR Winston West race, scheduled for Saturday, also was postponed to an undetermined date."

devilmaster
10-29-03, 01:40 PM
AP or indyscar, doesn't make a difference.

YOU are still taking one side of the story as gospel and bashing CART's management for it.

Thats sad, that's all.
:shakehead

Steve

FRANKY
10-29-03, 01:55 PM
AP or indyscar, doesn't make a difference.

YOU are still taking one side of the story as gospel and bashing CART's management for it.

Thats sad, that's all.
:shakehead

Steve

I bashed CART????

:laugh: :rofl:

I said there could be a "vacuum".

I said they are "17 hours" late saying something.

I said "CART could be taking a very very hard line".

I said "Even though CART may not even have the same name next year, caring more about your race than fans and a community would be a Public Relations blunder."

I don't think it's an easy position for CART to be in. I am just like everyone else, waiting for CART to say something similar to what JoeBob said "Clearly, the event can't take place this weekend." along with positive support for victims of the fire.

devilmaster
10-29-03, 02:00 PM
k....

I am saying you could be a complete freaking moron or could be a lemming.

Am I bashing you? According to you, no.

Steve

lone_groover
10-29-03, 02:03 PM
FRANKY reminds me of that dude who doesn't believe in evolution....Willie Haupt?

FRANKY
10-29-03, 02:06 PM
k....

I am saying you could be a complete freaking moron or could be a lemming.

Am I bashing you? According to you, no.

Steve

No you aren't bashing me.

Just as I wasn't bashing CART.

RaceGrrl
10-29-03, 02:06 PM
Good point.

Back on topic...

17+ hours late by whose schedule? The track's? So CART is supposed to do things on ISC's timeline, not their own? That doesn't seem like a very responsible way to make decisions. According to all reports, Wednesday was the day that the weather/winds were thought to be improving.

FRANKY
10-29-03, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
Back on topic...

17+ hours late by whose schedule? The track's? So CART is supposed to do things on ISC's timeline, not their own? That doesn't seem like a very responsible way to make decisions. According to all reports, Wednesday was the day that the weather/winds were thought to be improving.

You asked me "what makes you think that simply because CART hasn't announced their plans yet that it means that they had decided to race?"

I just think if they were in agreement they would have stated so. I don't think they were in agreement. They are dotting the i's and crossing the t's and will be making a positive announcement about the race being postponed along with the new race date.

FRANKY
10-29-03, 02:15 PM
CART CHAMP CAR SEASON FINALE CANCELLED DUE TO WILDFIRES

INDIANAPOLIS (October 29, 2003) – The California wildfires that are currently burning in Southern California have led to the unfortunate cancellation of this weekend’s King Taco 500 at California Speedway, the race that would have been the final event of the 2003 Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford.

The race was cancelled Tuesday evening by California Speedway management due to the spread of the fires. The first cars were not scheduled to be on track for this weekend’s King Taco 500 until Friday morning but the Speedway determined that the situation would not improve enough in that time to allow the event to continue.

“Our thoughts are with those families dealing with the disaster in Southern California and we hope for a speedy end to the situation,” said CART President and CEO Christopher R. Pook. “Our diligence in pursuing the continuation of the race was only to ensure that we had exhausted every option available to us. CART Champ Car regrets that the event has been cancelled and we offered to explore every possible avenue, including running the event on Monday or Tuesday at Phoenix International Raceway – which is owned by California Speedway’s parent company International Speedway Corporation – or running at the California Speedway track sometime next week, allowing us to run this race in a safe manner and have a proper end to the 2003 season.”

The cancellation will put an end to the 2003 Champ Car World Series season at 18 races, meaning that Bruno Junqueira will finish as the runner-up to champion Paul Tracy, who clinched the title last weekend in Surfers Paradise, Australia. Junqueira was the season runner-up last year to Cristiano da Matta. Michel Jourdain Jr. enjoys the best finish of his career as he is third in the standings followed by series Rookie of the Year Sebastien Bourdais and Patrick Carpentier. The champion will be crowned next Tuesday night at the CART Champ Car Awards Celebration at the Renaissance Esmeralda Resort and Spa in Palm Springs, California."

devilmaster
10-29-03, 02:18 PM
No you aren't bashing me.

Just as I wasn't bashing CART.

:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

K... at least you blindly stick to your comments, i'll give ya that. :laugh:

Steve

FRANKY
10-29-03, 02:26 PM

Steve

They make the letters a different color than the background so that people see the difference. I don't have a problem if you want to read something into what I'm saying. I just prefer you put more weight to the black than the white. "Blindly stick" or consistant works for me.

Hope the fire didn't ruin your weekend plans.

rabbit
10-29-03, 02:56 PM
FRANKY, or silva ... whoever you are,

To assume that CART did not have people there is absurd. Obviously you know little about what goes into running a race. The entire CART operation does not just magically appear at the track on Friday morning, especially when they're coming in from Australia. I'm sure much of the CART staff went straight to Fontana from Surfers. Heck, Jimmy's been there since Monday doing sponsor appearances.

ISC wants out of that contract sooo bad they can taste it. They used the tragedy of the wildfires as a political pawn and tried to place the blame on CART by making their announcement AFTER CART's offices had closed. That's just low.

FISC

FRANKY
10-29-03, 04:38 PM
If they had someone there then it would be a no brainer to cancel by all reports. I tire of the ISC, SMI, conspiracies. It's a terrible act of arsonist leading to acts of nature. It's too bad that they can't postpone the event. Having an awards ceremony just a couple days after the event was scheduled would have meant a double cancelation or just running the race a few weeks later as a non-point paying race.

It's in the hands of California Speedway and CART's insurers now. I's not a black eye for CART and people who think so are sadly mistaken.

pchall
10-29-03, 05:30 PM
:laugh: :rofl: :laugh:

Steve

'nough said