PDA

View Full Version : PT on Indy local sports. Tonight at 11.

Lizzerd
10-28-03, 07:54 PM
Dave Furst, the local talking head on WTHR-6 here in Gomerville will interview Paul on the 11 PM sportscast tonight. The teaser on the 6 PM show had Paul saying something like "...220, 225, 230 on an oval with concrete walls, is not the thing I want to do..."

Update and maybe a transcript coming afterwards. Stay tuned!

Lizzerd
10-29-03, 02:31 AM
From the 6 PM sportscast. Dave Furst is the local talking head.

Lead in: ...our conversation got into the safety of the IRL and oval type racing. Remember, CART only runs three races on ovals.

Dave Furst: Do you appreciate this series, CART, driving on some road courses, street courses, not just ovals? Is an all oval series too dangerous sometimes?

Paul Tracy: I think it is. I mean, uh, like I said, when you're travelling at those speeds, 220, 225, 230, and you've got concrete walls, even the SAFER wall, no matter what, it's going to hurt. And it's going to be a big accident. I grew up racing road courses. I enjoy ovals and I've had a lot of success on ovals, but it isn't something that I would want to do full time.

=========

From the 11 PM sportscast, same talking head.

Lead in: ...he says the reason for these airborne accidents is in the design of the cars.

DF: Do you really see some kind of aerodynamic problem in the IRL right now?

PT: Well, I mean you gotta just look at it. I mean when a little bit of air get underneath of it, it takes off like...

DF: ...a glider...

PT: Yeah, and uh, we were sitting on the plane yesterday and the pilot was talking about the takeoff, and he says the plane weighs 400 metric tons, and our takeoff speed will be 180 miles per hour. We have 1500 pound cars going 230, 235 miles per hour. It's all about aerodynamics with the race cars and if something's not right, then when the car gets a little bit wrong, it's gonna take off.

==========

Sadly, that's all there was. At first, I thought the little bit in the early broadcast was just a teaser for a longer interview in the late broadcast. DF had to have had more time with PT. Oh well, they probably just ran out of time to show more. Sports only gets about five minutes anyway. Oh well. It was the same studio that PT was in for the Windtunnel interview.