PDA

View Full Version : Formula Vee is Forty

RichK
10-28-03, 07:19 PM
So 2003 is the 40th anniversary of the Formula Vee. We are having a special race out here on the West Coast at Thunderhill Park. So far I think 40 cars are signed up for the FV race. There is prize money and lots of contigency stuff.

THIS prize almost makes me want to finish 29th:

Twenty Ninth Place in FV will be awarded one flight (Air Combat Maneuvers or Scenic Tour along the Coast) in a Russian Fighter Jet. Must be 18 years or older and sign waiver. Must be redeemed by 12/31/03.

Value: $800

Lizzerd
10-28-03, 07:30 PM
Napoleon, are you paying attention?

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-03, 08:25 PM
If you thought the packs at the front of the field in FV were something, imagine what it'll look like from 20th or so on down! 9 guys trying to out-slow each other to get 29th, 11 cars behind them trying to get ahead of 29th!

RacinM3
10-28-03, 08:42 PM
No s**** Sean...:laugh:

Rich, not only does that sound like a great event, with great contingencies, but Thunderhill is an INSANE track...one of my favorites at which to race.

We're doing the 25 hour race there this December....think it'll rain??

Formula V's forty? And they say racing technology moves fast? (Just kiddin' ya, Rich ;)

Here's an idea of some good ol' THill elevation change:

http://www.thunderhill.com/IMAGES/PicturePage/Newphotos/79_1.jpg

RichK
10-29-03, 02:31 AM
Thunderhill is a great track. It's also nice to spend a long weekend up there in the clean air. Small town environment with very friendly locals.

RM3: rain in December? I'd say you have a 25% chance....but don't hold me to it. One way to make it rain is to forget your rain tires...it works for me everytime! :D

Lizzerd
10-29-03, 02:39 AM
I just realized something. 29th place for a ride in a Russian fighter. Is it a MIG-29? That, my friend, is an awesome jet. In competent hands (and proper maintenance) it could rival an F-15. I've seen video of it actually flying backwards, nose almost vertical, using its vectored thrust. Go for the scenic tour if you want to keep your lunch down.

Napoleon
10-29-03, 08:21 AM
The official 40th Birthday party was this summer at Road America. I recall hearing that there were something like 70 cars there, plus a bunch of vintage FVs.

http://www.scca.com/amateur/club_racing/03junesprints/race-group1.html

http://www.wedgeengineering.com/wedgeracing/40thfvbirthday.htm

mapguy
10-29-03, 09:56 AM
I think that Formula Vee is probably the only series out there where most of it's drivers are older than it. :D

Note: Before anyone jumps on me I would like it to be known that I want a Vee myself.

devilmaster
10-29-03, 12:05 PM
*edit* This is why i shouldn't post when I first wake up...

Steve

mapguy
10-29-03, 12:09 PM
:confused: I don't get it.

Napoleon
10-29-03, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
I think that Formula Vee is probably the only series out there where most of it's drivers are older than it.

Then it would be perfect for 'bird since I think he was born before Adolf Hitler ordered Ferdinand Porsche to develop the "peoples" car which lead to the Bug. Heck I bet we can find a picture of 'bird with old man Porsche.