PDA

View Full Version : IRL - "No Trend Exists"

Chitowncartfreak
10-27-03, 04:04 PM
Denial at its best.

http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/1027/1648063.html

mapguy
10-27-03, 04:09 PM
This is the first fatality in an IRL-designed car," Barnhart said. "Scott Brayton's was in 1996 when we were using year-old equipment at that time. I very much believe there is not another sanctioning body in motorsports more committed, more dedicated and more safety-conscious than the Indy Racing League. It is the No. 1 priority in everything that we do

76 drivers injured in 86 races. 13 drivers spending 'sheet time' in 16 races this year. 5 cars getting airborne. What a callous, lying sack of spit.

What he conveniently leaves out in his Scott Brayton quote was that they were running a lot more boost that C^RT mandated. All so they can claim the speed title that year between the Indy 500 and the US 500. That car that Scott Brayton was killed in was not a C^RT spec car but an irl spec one.

These people have no shame.

:thumdown:

RacinM3
10-27-03, 04:13 PM
This should play well at the trial when fans are killed in the stands.

I really, really, don't want to see it come to this, but my biggest fear is that it will.

Chitowncartfreak
10-27-03, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3

I really, really, don't want to see it come to this, but my biggest fear is that it will.

It's a longshot, but after some of the incidents that have taken place recently, it's definitely within the realm of possibility. I don't want to see it come to that either, but I can see it happening.

Lizzerd
10-27-03, 04:16 PM
The car Scott was killed in was an obsolete CART car, obsoleted by CART's 1996 safety inspired new chassis. Therefore making it safe enough for earl.

Accipiter
10-27-03, 04:28 PM
Heads buried firmly in the sand. :mad:

JoeBob
10-27-03, 04:31 PM
The 1995 cars could have been brought up to CART 1996 specs. IIRC, Della Penna fielded a 1995 Reynard with an update kit for Ritchie Hearn for 3 races in 1996. (Toronto was one, I forget the others.)

1995 chassis were legal for both the IRL and CART, while 1996 chassis were legal only for CART.

However, that's neither here nor there. I don't see how there isn't a pattern of cars taking off like airplanes when they get air under them. They haven't all started the same way, but they did end the same way. Cars have gotten airborne before, but never have they gotten the altitude we're seeing this year.

But, they'll probably do what they've done in the past: Lower the rev-limiter, crank up the wings, and remeasure the tracks. That should slow things down enough to quiet the media for a spell.

longbeach32
10-27-03, 04:33 PM
Nation also said Jeff Andretti's accident was triggered when he ran over debris and it was enough to lift the front end off the ground

Jeff?!? How about Mario instead.

Methanolandbrats
10-27-03, 04:44 PM
Jeff, Mario, what the hell difference does it make to those AHoles who's in the car. They don't care.

RaceGrrl
10-27-03, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Accipiter
Heads buried firmly in the sand. :mad:

Their heads are buried, but they ain't buried in the sand.

cart7
10-27-03, 05:11 PM
You could see this one coming a mile away. Pathetic. :mad: :shakehead

Racewriter
10-27-03, 05:15 PM
Wow.

Not a surprise, but wow.

FTG
10-27-03, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by RacinM3

The carnage probably will continue until a lawyer stops it.

Jonezzy_33
10-27-03, 06:10 PM
How very IRL of them...........

:shakehead :flame: :mad:

RaceChic
10-27-03, 07:25 PM
What a shame. Not a surprise, but definately a shame. :shakehead

RTKar
10-27-03, 07:54 PM
Maybe history should repeat itself;

"To be honest, I've hated every second of this season,' said Derek Ongaro, then the FISA's circuit inspector. 'There's something wrong when the checquered flag comes down, and all you feel is relief that another race weekend is out of the way without someone getting killed.'
That was the thought in many a mind. Surely it was untenable to contemplate another season with cars whose very specification militated against safety. Everyone, save perhaps one or two designers, was therefore inclined to celebrate when Jean-Marie Belestre later announced that ground effect cars were banned forthwith."

Quoted from the book, "Chasing the Title" by Nigel Roebuck, regarding the 1982 F1 Season which saw the passing of Riccardo Paletti and Gilles Villeneuve, a car clearing the catch fencing, and career ending injuries to Didier Pironi.

Don Quixote
10-27-03, 08:06 PM
This means no further investigations and no changes to the chassis. The only thing that will stop this runaway train would be a driver walkoff. :flame:

pchall
10-27-03, 08:40 PM
After a statement like this from the IRL hiearchy, it should be clear why I have nothing but disdain for the 'league' and it's leadership.

RichK
10-27-03, 08:55 PM
Fred Nation: Most Despicable Person in Racing

Hot Rod Otis
10-27-03, 09:20 PM
Nothing to see here folks, just keep moving. :shakehead Typical IMS bullsh@t.:flame:

cart7
10-27-03, 10:46 PM
Interesting, even the TF boards are quiet on this one.

lateralus42
10-27-03, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Interesting, even the TF boards are quiet on this one.

Yeah those people are strange, i went there last week to find out what was going on, but they were deleting and censoring all the posts having to do with this issue. :shakehead

Jonezzy_33
10-28-03, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by pchall
After a statement like this from the IRL hiearchy, it should be clear why I have nothing but disdain for the 'league' and it's leadership.

:thumbup:

I've never seen a bigger joke operation in my life. They can't be this stupid.

Chief
10-28-03, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Jonezzy_33
They can't be this stupid.

They invented stupid.

DaveL
10-28-03, 01:06 PM
This is the same bunch who thought slapping a bumper on the oversized transmissions those sleds have would fix all of the neck and back injuries. And we all saw how well that worked.

And if safety was the "#1 priority" they wouldn't have a spec that forces pack racing which any racer will tell you is the most dangerous form of racing there is and something that is to be avoided in the name of safety.

Turn7
10-28-03, 01:14 PM
It ain't nuthin' that a humpy bumper or ejection seat won't solve.

Suck it up you bunch of wine and cheesers.

Racewriter
10-28-03, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by lateralus42
Yeah those people are strange, i went there last week to find out what was going on, but they were deleting and censoring all the posts having to do with this issue. :shakehead

Every time someone starts a topic on the IRL forum over there, it's merged with a blowover topic dating back to May, which has been shuffled to the "Tech Talk" forum - which has maybe a dozen visitors.

Nothing to see here...:rolleyes:

cart7
10-28-03, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Racewriter
Every time someone starts a topic on the IRL forum over there, it's merged with a blowover topic dating back to May, which has been shuffled to the "Tech Talk" forum - which has maybe a dozen visitors.

Nothing to see here...:rolleyes:

I'm not sure the mod who takes care of that board even posts on TF anymore.

pchall
10-28-03, 03:01 PM

I wonder what the owner thinks? Maybe he is finally opening a book or two and reading about champcars before 1996...

Racewriter
10-28-03, 03:02 PM

It's been awhile, although he does check that board for tech questions.

But never fear - 220MPH, er I mean 'cleanupcrew', has it under control.:rolleyes:

Napoleon
10-28-03, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
It ain't nuthin' that a . . .ejection seat won't solve.

Paging Franklin Radliff.

Steve99
10-28-03, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
However, that's neither here nor there. I don't see how there isn't a pattern of cars taking off like airplanes when they get air under them. They haven't all started the same way, but they did end the same way. Cars have gotten airborne before, but never have they gotten the altitude we're seeing this year.

It's not the same because the cars were painted different, don't you see? It won't be a trend until the same driver is killed in the exact same car three times in a row. :shakehead

sundaydriver
10-28-03, 05:34 PM
The IRL PR spin is insanity.

The drivers in that league have to be ****ting a brick right now. If the twIRL league does not mandate testing to find out what happened, hopefully the drivers will boycott. I know I would.

Hot Rod Otis
10-28-03, 05:54 PM
The deafening silence @ JJYeyleysucksforum on this announcement from Barnhardt is rather perplexing. You'd think they'd be shouting this from the rooftops like they do with all the other BS that IMS releases.

rabbit
10-28-03, 05:59 PM
Just posted: http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=435374#post435374

Racewriter
10-28-03, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Hot Rod Otis
The deafening silence @ JJYeyleysucksforum on this announcement from Barnhardt is rather perplexing. You'd think they'd be shouting this from the rooftops like they do with all the other BS that IMS releases.

Yeah, I'm surprised no one has posted it over there. I don't think it would last if they did.

Lizzerd
10-28-03, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
Just posted: http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=435374#post435374

Well, whatever that was, it didn't last long...

rabbit
10-29-03, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Well, whatever that was, it didn't last long... It's there. I got merged. I actually got a nice PM from one of the mods saying it was an important discussion.

KLang
10-29-03, 11:36 AM
If the attitudes of the people running the earl are anything like 220, defender and a few others in that thread, nothing will be done. I can't imagine why any spectator would risk attending an earl event.

devilmaster
10-29-03, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Type-S
I can't imagine why any spectator would risk attending an earl event.

Didn't you listen to Fred Nation??!? All is well! Nothing to see here! ;)

Although, I'm not surprised. Its Fred's job to say everything's ok, whether or not it really is. Sometimes you can look at it as an inverse of how big the problem really is.

Sometimes the most vocal denials show that there is a problem. True story - we moved into an house a few years back. Cleaning up the place and painting before we moved in, I pulled out a drawer and found an old newspaper from the early 60s (i believe) and the front page article was about 'Tobacco companies deny link between cigarettes and cancer'.

Steve

JT265
10-29-03, 12:58 PM
'Tobacco companies deny link between cigarettes and cancer'.

So, what's changed? ;)

devilmaster
10-29-03, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by JT265

So, what's changed? ;)

:laugh:
Touche.

Steve

Ankf00
10-29-03, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by JT265

So, what's changed? ;)

experimental results linking cigarettes to uncontrolled mutant growth from affecting 2 genes in the lungs. but shhhhhhhh, that's uncontrolled hippie science ;) you can't believe hippies can you? of course not. ;)

Corner5
10-29-03, 01:22 PM
All to ensure that "close racing"and "3 wide" at the cost of what?? stupid!:p

rabbit
10-29-03, 03:01 PM
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg
I very much believe there is not another sanctioning body in motorsports more committed, more dedicated and more safety-conscious than the Indy Racing League. It is the No. 1 priority in everything that we do.
You might note that three or more is a trend, but we don't have three of any similar incident within the five.
To say there is a consistent pattern this year, the evidence doesn't support that yet.

mapguy
10-29-03, 04:24 PM
:thumbup: rabbit :thumbup: :rofl:

Lizzerd
10-29-03, 06:32 PM
Touche', rabbit. :thumbup:

eiregosod
10-29-03, 10:41 PM
thanks to McB from crapwagon:

http://www.earlracing.com/pictures/bob.gif

RaceChic
10-29-03, 11:10 PM