PDA

View Full Version : Who should win the Greg Moore Legacy Award?

devilmaster
10-27-03, 03:40 PM
Remember that the Moore Legacy award is for the driver who best expresses the talent and ideals of Greg Moore. Driver Talent, good person, well liked, good pr abilities..... all of these things and possibly more....

Who should win?

1) Jimmy Vasser
2) Darren Manning
3) Sebastien Bourdais
4) Michael Valiente
5) Leo Maia

Steve

pchall
10-27-03, 03:43 PM
Where's the button to click for Michael Andretti?

RichK
10-27-03, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by pchall
Where's the button to click for Michael Andretti?

HAHAHAHA! If there is ever an "anti-Greg-Moore" award, he is a shoo-in.

RichK
10-27-03, 03:50 PM
mapguy changed my mind in the other thread, I voted for Manning.

Turn7
10-27-03, 03:55 PM
I voted for Bourdais because he is sort of blondish and wears glasses.

FCYTravis
10-27-03, 05:02 PM
Darren Manning, hands down.

He's got talent out the ears, hasn't crashed once all year, hasn't finished out of the top 10 when he finished (three mechanical DNFs), doesn't whine like SOME drivers we know *cough*JUNKY*cough* and would have won at least one, probably more races if he was in a chassis that was even remotely competitive.

The fact that he's beating lots of people while driving an obsolete car says wonders for the kid.

Did I mention that he's really great on TV and in person?

devilmaster
10-27-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by FCYTravis
hasn't crashed once all year

Didn't his car get launched at monterrey with a wheel to wheel hit? I think he was still able to go on, i'm just not remembering...

I also recall that the car didn't get airlifted....

Steve

JoeBob
10-27-03, 05:13 PM
Manning has the personality part down pat, but the on-track portion just hasn't been Greg Moore like. Bourdais has the performance, but the personality isn't there.

So... I voted for Vasser. Manning has more points, but Vasser has had better results in the races he's finished, and his off the track accomplishments outshine even Darren's.

This year, Jimmy passed up other (likely more lucrative) opportunities to stay in CART. Surely, he could have started up a solid NASCAR career. Instead, he went to a start-up team, and took a rookie teammate under his wing.

It has to be humbling for a former champion to spend a season racing out of date cars with his own name on the sidepod. Yet, Jimmy didn't complain. Instead, he squeezed every ounce out of the Jimmy car.

When his teammate took the lead in Australia, and was hanging the car a little too far out over the edge, Jimmy didn't push him over. Instead, he called to the pits and told the team to tell Ryan to calm down.

I think Greg would be quite proud of what Jimmy has done this year - both on and off the track, and that is why he got my vote.

cartmanoz
10-27-03, 05:44 PM
Jimmy also gets my vote. He's done the best he can in an under-funded, out-classed machine - but he certainly has the personality and PR stuff perfected. I always like to hear what Jimmy has to say.

Lizzerd
10-27-03, 05:53 PM
Okay, I made up my mind. Jeemy. More of a lifetime achievement award than this year in particular. He's always been a fav of mine, too.

Darren will get his... in another year.

rabbit
10-27-03, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Darren will get his... in another year. I'm not arguing with your choice, but I've learned - especially in my line of work - that "he'll get his next year" is a risky position to take. Case in point, Tayt Mayberry. The kid was a phenominal quarterback at a local high school. His junior year he really should have been picked as our Area Player of the Year. But we opted for another player who was a senior because "Tayt will get his next year." Well, three games into his senior season, Tayt got mono and missed two games. Three quarters into his first game back, while scrambling out of the pocket, he planted his foot but his cleats slipped, then caught. He tore his ACL, PCL, and MCL. Not only his high school, but his college football career was over.

In racing the stakes are only slightly higher.

RHR_Fan
10-27-03, 11:45 PM
I was torn between Vasser and Manning, but chose Manning. From what I've seen on TV and in person he's just an all-around awesome guy, like Greg. I'm not saying that Jimmy isn't all of those either, I just went for Darren.

~Nicole

lone_groover
10-28-03, 12:06 AM
Torn Between Two Lovers, feeling like a fool - Mary MacGregor-style!

;)

Twisty Bits
10-28-03, 01:06 AM
Definately Valiente. He has a haunting resemblance to a young Greg Moore I remember well.

devilmaster
10-30-03, 01:16 AM
bump

Steve

JT265
10-30-03, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by lone_groover
Torn Between Two Lovers, feeling like a fool - Mary MacGregor-style!

;)

You and me both L_G. And JoeBob has me all emotional like after his Jeemy pitch.

Twisty Bits
10-31-03, 01:28 PM
Once again, Valiente, he's got the Greg Moore fire in his eyes.

cart7
10-31-03, 05:14 PM
I chose Manning. Really showed well this year both on and off the track and of the new crop of drivers this year, the one I'd say I'd really like to see back. Here's hoping he can get away from the Reynard and show his talent in a Lola.

nrc
11-04-03, 11:43 PM
And the winner is: Sebastien Bourdais

Turn7
11-05-03, 08:30 AM
I think Mannings talk about going to the IRL nixed any chance he had of obtaining the award.

Bourdais was probably the choice from the get go anyway.