PDA

View Full Version : The Nominees for the Greg Moore Legacy Award have been announced

devilmaster
10-27-03, 02:54 PM
The 5 Drivers are:

1) Jimmy Vasser - ChampCar, ASTJ Racing
2) Darren Manning - ChampCar, Walker Racing
3) Sebastian Bourdais - ChampCar, Newman/Haas Racing
4) Michael Valiente - Toyota Atlantics, Lynx Racing
5) Leo Maia - Barber Dodge Pro Series

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=58561&hubName=auto_racing

Steve

Turn7
10-27-03, 02:58 PM
What are the main criteria for selecting the nominees and eventually the award recipiant?

I know it says "ideals and talent" but, what exactly are those ideals? Arguably everybody in Champ Car or its feeders has the talent or potential talent of Greg Moore. I am unsure of what his ideals were.

devilmaster
10-27-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
What are the main criteria for selecting the nominees and eventually the award recipiant?

The award is given to the driver who best represents the talent and ideals of Greg. The combination of on track talent, Public relation abilities, a good person, well liked in the paddock. Stuff like that.

Steve

RichK
10-27-03, 03:30 PM
Someone who is a practical joker & keeps things fun in the paddock would be good. I'd vote for Jimmy among those candidates.

Thinking about Greg Moore's traits and trying to apply them to someone else is difficult.

mapguy
10-27-03, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by RichK

Thinking about Greg Moore's traits and trying to apply them to someone else is difficult.

Of those listed I feel that Manning would be the winner. He has been an absolute breath of fresh air this year.

Plus I love Derrick Walker's quote about him recently:

If I knew he'd be this good I would have used my wife's VISA and bought a few Lola's.

Lizzerd
10-27-03, 03:42 PM
I can't speak for Valiente or Maia, but given the criteria, I would vote for Jimmy. No, I would vote for Darren. No wait, Kermit. No... Hmmm... tough choice.

JT265
10-27-03, 03:50 PM
Donnie Beechler got screwed again!!!! :mad:

Thanks Toeknee :rofl:

RacinM3
10-27-03, 03:53 PM
Definitely not Sebastian. Probably Manning.

RaceChic
10-27-03, 07:32 PM
I pick Darren Manning. The truth is, none of the choices this year beckon me for the Greg Moore Legacy award. :(

Jay
10-27-03, 08:33 PM
They're all very worthy, but I'd have to give it to Darren "I just want to spend the rest of my career here!" Manning. He's shown a lot of promise in the Walker Reynard this year, while off the track he has been in my observations, the most fan-friendly driver in the series - never turning down an autograph or a photo with a fan, even if it means putting aside other obligations. He has been an electric personality in the paddock, and I know his own Walker crew love working with him. That said, the team PR person, Melissa will tell you she has to drag him around, because he wants to spend too much time mingling with fans, signing autographs etc,...and falling behind in sponsor and media obligations. On top of that, he doesn't have the any of the ego that I've found in a lot of drivers... just a very down to earth guy.

Corner5
10-29-03, 12:49 PM
I would have to say a toss up between Vasser and Manning.
Jimmy has raced under less than perfect conditions, but he gave it a good effort and he is never selfish with RHR,helping him and encouraging him. At RA ,I saw Jimmy take time out in the pit lane to autograph a bag full of souvenirs for a fan.

Manning, like previously stated, is a very likable guy ,who loves being in CART and loves racing.

my question is, what about Allmendinger??

jcollins28
10-29-03, 07:48 PM
Anyone here get goose bumps when thinking about Greg and looking/watching Sebastian Bourdais? The guy gives me the creeps because he is just so much like Greg.

nz_climber
10-30-03, 01:06 AM
Manning for sure :)