PDA

View Full Version : Question for SoCals

Lizzerd
10-26-03, 08:54 PM
About the terrible fires that are ravaging your neck of the woods. Could they threaten the race next weekend? I know that lives and safety, followed by property are far more important than our entertainment, but I'm curious. Could it (cancellation) happen?

Dr. Corkski
10-26-03, 09:24 PM
I am lucky enough to be far enough away (about 60 miles or so) from the different fires, but from where I am my car is covered with ashes and the sky here is red during the day and covered with smog. The speedway is right in between the fires. They are having a tough time fighting the fires because of the smog and the Santa Ana winds, and I seriosuly don't think they will be able to contain this fire til the end of the week. Cancellation is certainly possible given that the championship race is already wrapped up or perhaps a postponement might be better because Fontana isn't going to be a great place for a 500-miler even by next weekend.

Dr. Corkski
10-26-03, 09:29 PM
This probably would answer your question better. (http://www.7thgear.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=017675)

manic mechanic
10-26-03, 09:43 PM
Mr Lizzerd,

You know I live 17 miles from the track, and I went right past the back gate last night on the way to CARTPlate's birthday party.

Yes, the air quality is horrible, but the areas surrounding the track are accessible with no problems.

The only problems I see are the possible lack of emergency personnell that may be necessary to crew the track and possibly the ash and smoke that may make it uncomfortable to view the race.

BTW, the local weather forecasters are telling us that the weather and winds are due to subside Wednesday..I just pray they are correct (for ONCE!)and that the firefighters can gain the upper hand soon.

We are in a "ring of fire" out here right now..San Diego County is on fire too.

We're OK though. :thumbup:

manic

CART License
10-27-03, 02:05 AM
"They are having a tough time fighting the fires because of the smog and the Santa Ana winds"

Dr. Z

Things are looking better tonight, I'm five miles from the track. BTW what does "smog" have to do with fighting fires?

Napoleon
10-27-03, 01:44 PM
On a related note the Monday Night Football game between San Diego and Miami, originally scheduled to be played tonight in San Diego, has been moved to Arizona.

CART License
10-27-03, 02:01 PM
As for the CART race next weekend at the California Speedway in Fontana, everything is on as planned, but there is cause for concern.

California Speedway officials will meet with San Bernardino County representatives today to “find out where we stand,” said speedway spokesman Dennis Bickmeier.

“Bill Miller (speedway president) opened a dialogue with the county last week about the fires,” said Bickmeier. “At that time, he offered the speedway grounds to fire crews for whatever need they might have, from refilling the helicopters with water and/or fuel to our shower facilities.

“We’ll discuss with the county today what kind of contingency plans we might have to make.”

The most pressing concern for Miller is the arrival of charter jets carrying cars and equipment for the CART Champ Car World Series. The jets departed Surfers Paradise, Australia, after the completion of Saturday night’s race and are due today at San Bernardino Airport.

“Team transporters are at the speedway ready to pick up the cars,” said Bickmeier. “Hopefully, they can get into San Bernardino. But if they can’t get in, Southern California Logistics in Victorville could be the alternative site.

“We’re also concerned with our NASCAR Winston West teams getting in,” said Bickmeier. “A few are based in Southern California, but many will be on the road next Thursday and Friday.”

Miller received updates throughout the day from Mike Carnes, fire safety coordinator for the speedway and a fire captain for L.A. County. Carnes has been based at Glen Helen during the Grand Prix Fire.

Miller also had a unique perspective on the fire Sunday morning. He flew over the entire line while returning from Saturday night’s IRL awards banquet in Orlando, Fla.

Fans returning from the NHRA ACDelco Nationals in Las Vegas were also impacted by freeway closures. An untold number of fans left the event early and planned to reach their homes in the Inland Valley by driving through Blythe, Twentynine Palms or Palmdale.
Link to Daily News (http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200%257E27898%257E1726088,00.html)

RichK
10-27-03, 02:26 PM
Satellite photo of the fires:

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/US/West/10/27/california.wildfire/story.satellite.ap.jpg

RacinM3
10-27-03, 03:33 PM
The two big plumes in the center of that photo go right over my house in Huntington Beach. We had nothing but smoky, orange skies all weekend, complemented by about a ton of ash. Everything's a mess. It's better today, but only because the Santa Anas haven't turned yet.

On the flip side, it's not so bad, at least my home isn't in danger. I look at the ash and wonder from who's home it may have came from.:(

pchall
10-27-03, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Napoleon
On a related note the Monday Night Football game between San Diego and Miami, originally scheduled to be played tonight in San Diego, has been moved to Arizona.

The city is using the parking lot as a site to distribute relief supplies.

ISC will probably insist the profit go on.

Lizzerd
10-27-03, 04:12 PM
Wow. All we get here in flyover country is tornados and floods. (Sorry, bad joke).

The pictures and television coverage are really scary. Hats off and :thumbup: to the firefighters, and prayers to everybody else in the area.

A few years ago (1998 or 1999) I had a business trip to the east coast of Florida when there was a slew of fires down there. When I stepped off the plane onto the tarmac, it smelled like the middle of a crowded campground and there was an eerie, smoky haze. Being that close to the scene of the fires really brings the images into perspective.

JoeBob
10-27-03, 11:43 PM
Here's the latest:
http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=7340

BILL MILLER STATEMENT REGARDING FONTANA
"We continue to monitor the fire situation in San Bernardino County and throughout Southern California. We are in contact with local officials on a number of items that may or may not effect the staging of this weekend's event, including the proximity of the fire, the air quality and transportation issues as many freeways are closed or are experiencing delays, as well as delays at numerours airports in the area. We have offered the use of the speedway to the county if needed to support the fire fighting effort or to assist as a shelter for families displaced by the fire. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been impacted by this tragedy, including many people associated with the speedway either as full-time staff, volunteers or ticket holders."

indyfan31
10-28-03, 01:21 PM
Here's a very good map showing a lot of information about the fire areas as of last night.

PDF file (http://a1022.g.akamai.net/f/1022/8158/5m/images.latimes.com/media/acrobat/2003-10/9989757.pdf)

The winds have settled and will start to shift back to normal off-shore patterns, with cooler, more humid air. Unfortunately this means the fires will be blown up the mountains away from the cities. The latest news (as of 9am PT) is that all San Bernardino mountain communities are being asked to voluntarily evacuate, including the Big Bear area.

RichK
10-28-03, 01:51 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031028/capt.gox11110280504.california_wildfires_gox111.jp g

Cam
10-28-03, 02:08 PM
:eek: :(

cart7
10-28-03, 02:31 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20031028/capt.gox11110280504.california_wildfires_gox111

Amazing. :eek: :(

RaceGrrl
10-28-03, 04:05 PM
RichK- that photo is sad and humbling. I hope all is well with our OC friends in Cali. :(