C^RT is dead.

lone_groover
01-22-03, 07:28 PM
Isn't that Tora's Walker?

rabbit
01-22-03, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover

Yes. It is IRL driver Tora Takagi with IRL sponsors Pioneer and Denso on his car. :shakehead Also, and this is really no big deal, it has the old CART logo.

Here's the full-size image...
http://www.cart.com/content/photos/2003/By800/20030116P_0009.jpg

Turn7
01-22-03, 07:39 PM
It is no big deal. They have a logo and that car simply is the closest representation to the logo that isn't emblazened with advertisement.

http://gpstpete.com/images/lgoGPSP.gif

The TCGR cars were a closer match but, they were also covered with product names and the promoter probably didn't want to give away free advertisement for coca cola/target/kleenex/ect. for free.

Plane and simple. Other than that it is good to see promotional activity.

RTKar
01-22-03, 07:45 PM
I noticed the car and logo too but thought I'd get slammed for being too nit picky. Considering it's been about 10 degrees outside for a few days, I'm just glad the season's about to start, means summer is on the way.

rabbit
01-22-03, 07:48 PM
I probably am being a little nit picky, but it just seems careless and sloppy to me. It wouldn't have been too tough to photoshop Ford and Bridgestone logos on the car instead. Reward the people who are sticking by you and not the one's leaving you for the dark side.

Ziggy
01-22-03, 09:22 PM
Just a thought guys, Would'nt you imagine that the art work of this size might have been done months ago? The money already spent? (and by the promotor no doubt)

You cant get graphics done in this scale at Kinko's (TM)

Ziggy

Napoleon
01-22-03, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Just a thought guys, Would'nt you imagine that the art work of this size might have been done months ago? The money already spent? (and by the promotor no doubt)

Occured to me instantly. Hell look at my Eddie Johnston thead on an ad run after his death.

Mike Kellner
01-22-03, 10:30 PM
A thought. Shouldn't CART borrow a year old car, pay to have it painted with CART logos and colors and take a bunch of pix to use in advertising?

RacinM3
01-22-03, 10:44 PM
I have mixed feelings. Racing's about the details. A visit to most top Champ Car team paddocks will reveal an attention to detail that sometimes borders on the psychotic. It's truly amazing. The way absolutely everything from the pit scooters to the no-pest strips (you know, those "fences" that use the retractable ribbons on the posts to keep the OS out) are emblazoned with either the sponsors name or the team's name.

I'd like to see C^RT apply the same attention to detail. If the money for this was spent beforehand, C^RT should belly up for the removal of the sponsors names, and the insertion of the new series sponsors names (Ford/Bridgestone).

It seems nitpicky, but really, the details separate the best from the rest in this sport.

Lizzerd
01-22-03, 11:28 PM
For Goodness sake, people, how long has the new logo been "known"? How long has this sign been up? It's the promoters "fault" for not being up to date, and like a few others have said, it was probably designed weeks if not months ago. 95% of the people who will see it don't know the difference anyway. Geez... Give it a break. It's publicity!

rabbit
01-23-03, 01:08 AM
Like RM3 said, they get psychotic about this stuff. A few years ago at Cleveland I did a favor for Michael Andretti and his manager. Michael gave me his hat in return. But he had to wait until he got back inside his transporter. His contract with Havoline and KMart said he had to have the hat on whenever he was in public. Companies pay a ton of money to put their name on a car. I wonder what the executives of sponsors who have stuck with CART think when they see a sponsor that has left getting a freebie.

Of course, my whole theory goes out the window if Pioneer and Denso paid to have that car featured on the billboard.

And as far as it being put together months ago: months ago we knew that Players, Tecate, Quaker State, Herdez, Gigante, Lilly, Visteon and others were committed to the series.

nrc
01-23-03, 01:39 AM
I had hoped that using the Pioneer car might mean that Pioneer might be sticking around as an event sponsor - they use the Shell car in their material for Denver and it will remain the Shell Grand Prix of Denver this year.

Unfortunately, I don't see any sign that's the case. They don't even have a concert like the ones Pioneer sponsored on the schedule. :(

mapguy
01-23-03, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by lone_groover

That was Walker's wanker.

WickerBill
01-23-03, 07:34 AM
It's a champ car. Only freaks like us would look at a beautiful machine like that and immediately spit out "IRL sponsor!!". To the Joe Thousandaire on the St. Pete street, it says "this is the kind of car you will see on our streets in one month." And that's the job of the billboard.

Just my two copper discs.

mnkywrch
01-23-03, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
That was Walker's wanker.

Walker's wanker from last year.

lone_groover
01-23-03, 09:56 AM
Walker's wanker when he was still walking?

Hope not!:(

Turn7
01-23-03, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by WickerBill
It's a champ car. Only freaks like us would look at a beautiful machine like that and immediately spit out "IRL sponsor!!". To the Joe Thousandaire on the St. Pete street, it says "this is the kind of car you will see on our streets in one month." And that's the job of the billboard.

Just my two copper discs.

No it isn't....it is a big conspiracy paid for by Toyota. They are seceretly funding the promoter of the St. Pete event to display subliminal images to advertise their product and to influence CART fans to join them in the IRL. You must resist it, don't look at the car, only the phone number to the ticket office.

:p :eek: :D

IlliniRacer
01-23-03, 11:10 AM
I'll take the wrong car over no car anyday.

I like the idea of the series show car. I always liked the FedEx promo car that CART used to have. IIRC, didn't "Paintergeek" paint the FedEx car?

turn1
01-23-03, 11:17 AM
Wankers, boobies - I am beginning to enjoy this forum!

rabbit
01-23-03, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by IlliniRacer
I'll take the wrong car over no car anyday.

I like the idea of the series show car. I always liked the FedEx promo car that CART used to have. IIRC, didn't "Paintergeek" paint the FedEx car?

Me too. But if you're going to use a car, use one with supporting sponsors. I like the idea of the series promo car as well. The point is the attention (or lack thereof) to detail. Anybody with a home computer and some photo editing software could have taken care of it in a matter of minutes.

I hope my repeated postings on this thread haven't given the impression I've got my shorts in a wad over this. I'm not all worked up. I'm just not getting my point across.

Hurling Frootmig
01-23-03, 03:24 PM
Now that they have revamped the series logo it's time to revamp the car or maybe a couple of cars. What would be really cool would be some 2 seaters and give rides away to fans.