PDA

View Full Version : Name the new GM Car

Methanolandbrats
10-24-03, 10:08 AM
GM Drops Risque-Named Buick Car in Quebec

NEW YORK (AP) - It's all in the name. General Motors Corp. has scrapped plans to replace the Buick Regal with the Buick LaCrosse in Canada because in the French-speaking province of Quebec ``lacrosse'' means to masturbate. Among other things.

GM Canada spokesman Stew Low told the La Crosse Tribune in Wisconsin last Friday that in Quebec youth culture the word is a new slang term

``(It) means a couple of things, either to masturbate or 'I just got screwed,' or 'I just got taken''' Low told the newspaper in Saturday's copyright editions. ``People of our age wouldn't even think twice about (the word.)''

He told the paper he first learned of the new slang usage about six weeks ago. In organized focus groups in Quebec, young participants giggled when they heard the named of the new car, Low said.

La Crosse Mayor John Medinger said Friday was not aware of the slang in Canada until the Tribune told him.

``These slang phrases come and go, and hopefully this one won't stick around too long,'' Medinger was quoted in the paper.

GM has not said when the Buick LaCrosse will debut. The company said plans to replace the Buick Regal with the Buick LaCrosse in the U.S. will continue, but will give the new car a different name in Canada.
Personally, I don't see the problem, sounds like an accurate name for a GM product.

Jag_Warrior
10-24-03, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Methanolandbrats
Personally, I don't see the problem, sounds like an accurate name for a GM product.

``(It) means a couple of things, either to masturbate or 'I just got screwed,' or 'I just got taken'''

Like you, I just don't see the problem. Seems :thumbup:

Tall1
10-24-03, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a good name for a GM car. It sounds like the town mayor doesn't have his headlights on tho - think of the money his city stands to gain by having the first Internationale LaCrosse Festivale. Think of the possibilities for that one.

mapguy
10-25-03, 07:13 AM
Thread. (http://209.123.252.231/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2747)