PDA

View Full Version : Al Unser, Jr. Injurted in ATV Crash

JoeBob
10-20-03, 04:01 PM
http://www.kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewer=storyviewer&id=5526&cat=NMTOPSTORIES

Albuquerque racecar driver Al Unser Jr. is hospitalized following an all-terrain vehicle crash in northern New Mexico.

Unser’s family says he suffered a broken pelvis when he drove his ATV off an embankment in some woods near Chama Sunday afternoon.

His father, Al Unser Sr., says his son called for help for about an hour before some boys passing by heard him and called for help.

The 41-year-old Unser was transported to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque where he was listed in serious condition Monday morning. The family says Al Unser Sr. was with his son at the hospital.

The younger Unser is expected to make a full recovery.

Al Unser Jr. is a two-time winner of the Indianapolis 500. He made a comeback on the IndyCar circuit this year after admitting to an alcohol problem in 2002.

Unser won his first race in nearly two years at the Bombardier 500 race in Texas this past June. He finished 6th in this year’s IndyCar Series standings.

mapguy
10-20-03, 04:08 PM
Probably happened when he realised that his big can o'Bud wouldn't fit into the regular sized cup holder.

FTG
10-20-03, 04:30 PM
Getting in shape for another season of spine breaking IRL racing.

RaceGrrl
10-20-03, 04:40 PM
You guys are freaking brutal!

I don't like Al Jr., but dayum, I can't imagine being injured like that and calling for help for an hour, not knowing if help would ever come. Still, one of the first thoughts that came to my mind was, "I wonder if he was sober."

rabbit
10-20-03, 04:54 PM
I have two friends - a husband and wife - who were recently injured in an ATV accident. She broke her neck and was nearly killed. Neither one of them drinks. ATV accidents can happen to anybody. I hope Al recovers quickly. :thumbup:

RaceGrrl
10-20-03, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
ATV accidents can happen to anybody.

I don't think that I said otherwise. I've known people injured in ATV accidents who were not drinking at the time. Knowing Al's history, my thought was a logical one.

Racewriter
10-20-03, 05:17 PM
ATV's are a pretty dangerous way to play. Most of the racetracks around here have now banned them in the pits, and a few have even banned them on the grounds due to liability issues.

I've messed around on one a little, but frankly, I don't know if I'd want to do any actual offroading on one.

RichK
10-20-03, 05:23 PM
They take people outta the New Mexico woods on stretchers.

cart7
10-20-03, 08:52 PM
Many years ago I ran a hot little Honda ATC110 3 wheeler, stroked, torque tube, speed chain and gears. :eek: :D It was stupidly fun but way dangerous. I went flying off that thing numerous times. I'm amazed I never broke a bone. Compared to the 3 wheelers, the 4 wheelers are stabil as all get out but you've got to know the bikes limitations. They can get squirlely and out of shape in a hurry. It's also important to understand that you control the center of gravity on the bike as far as your sitting or crouching position when you're turning or approaching uneven terrain.

Interesting, this is the 2nd Unser to have problems with an outdoors type machine and get hurt or nearly killed. Uncle Bobby had that near death snowmobile incident a couple years ago.

RTKar
10-20-03, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by cart7
Many years ago I ran a hot little Honda ATC110 3 wheeler, stroked, torque tube, speed chain and gears. :eek: :D It was stupidly fun but way dangerous. I went flying off that thing numerous times. I'm amazed I never broke a bone. Compared to the 3 wheelers, the 4 wheelers are stabil as all get out but you've got to know the bikes limitations. They can get squirlely and out of shape in a hurry. It's also important to understand that you control the center of gravity on the bike as far as your sitting or crouching position when you're turning or approaching uneven terrain.

Interesting, this is the 2nd Unser to have problems with an outdoors type machine and get hurt or nearly killed. Uncle Bobby had that near death snowmobile incident a couple years ago.

There was an Unser daughter killed in a dune buggy accident some years back. Sometime in the early 80's I think.

Ziggy
10-20-03, 10:54 PM
Al Jr.'s sister to be exact. Dont remember the year

Ziggy

FRANKY
10-21-03, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Al Jr.'s sister to be exact. Dont remember the year

Ziggy

Debbie 1982 in New Mexico.

Jonezzy_33
10-21-03, 12:30 AM
Wow, thoughts and prayers to little Al. That's terrible about his accident. Get Well soon Al! :thumbup:

Napoleon
10-21-03, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by RichK
They take people outta the New Mexico woods on stretchers.

:D Classic.

RTKar
10-21-03, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by FRANKY
Debbie 1982 in New Mexico.

It was during one of the Milwaukee race weekends. I remember driving up to the mile with my Dad and seeing his teams transporter heading the other way. My immediate thought was that he was killed or injured, so we turned on the radio to hear it was the daughter.

Chitowncartfreak
10-21-03, 10:39 AM
I was actually thinking of buying an ATV this week. Now, I'm having second thoughts. Get well soon, Al!

RaceChic
10-21-03, 02:23 PM
I hope he'll be okay. That's enough of these injured drivers now. :(