PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Is Too Many?

Jag_Warrior
10-19-03, 11:47 AM
As I was watching RPM2Day, I began thinking that they were showing Brack's crash WAY too many times. When you get up to four or five times in a row within a minute or so... that's too many IMO.

I don't like watching crashes at all. After Senna was killed, I almost stopped watching auto racing. But even when I can stomach them, isn't a dozen or more times too many? Maybe it's just me.

FRANKY
10-19-03, 12:43 PM
One time can be too many if a driver dies.

Ankf00
10-19-03, 02:56 PM
i remember sportscenter showing moore's crash once and saying "this is the only time we'll be showing this"

Lizzerd
10-19-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00
i remember sportscenter showing moore's crash once and saying "this is the only time we'll be showing this"

ABC did not replay it at all during the original broadcact. I believe that they probably had word of Kenny's condition before they replayed his crash last Sunday.

cart7
10-19-03, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Ankf00

As it should be. Anyone who saw it doesn't want to see it again and if you didn't see it, just take the word from those who did, "It wasn't pretty."

Lizzerd
10-19-03, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by cart7
As it should be. Anyone who saw it doesn't want to see it again and if you didn't see it, just take the word from those who did, "It wasn't pretty."

How true you are...

rocket
10-19-03, 08:25 PM
I had taped the race that day, and after seeing the crash once, couldn't really stomach it again, as Greg was my favorite...I destroyed the tape. Anyone that claims people go to races to see the crashes is just godam ignorant, it is a very unsettling feeling that you get when a driver is badly hurt or killed, because at that point it becomes much more than a sport. The drivers really put allot on the line...I'm pretty sure you get what I'm saying.

If anyone ever told me they were at a race to see the wrecks, I'd probably knock their teeth out.

Back to the original question, once is enough...and in some cases it is one time to many. :(

rosawendel
10-19-03, 09:05 PM
one plus about the zanardi accident was that the race was shown on tape delay, and i taped the race to watch it later. i watched the entire race, right up until he pulled out of the pits, then i turned the tape off. i've never watched video of the crash, and i really don't want to.

watching moore's crash was shocking enough. you could tell from paul page's voice he knew it was bad also, and i appreciate that they only showed the crash once, and before anyone knew the outcome (i forget the course of events, but they did show it from tape after it happened at least once...)

Chief
10-20-03, 02:51 PM
I noticed ESPN News showing the Brack crash yesterday (Sunday), at about 2:50PM. I was just passing through the cable list, but, they were apparently analysing the wreck, about how the car came apart and they had a guy from Target Chip Ganassi (Hull?) talking about the car and the integrity of the tub. Anyone see this?

Looked to me like like he was defending the car as safe to drive at high oval speeds. Almost in a "that's what it's designed to do" way.

Lizzerd
10-20-03, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by rocket
If anyone ever told me they were at a race to see the wrecks, I'd probably knock their teeth out.

Then don't ever go to Talledega or Daytona. You would have a hard time finding enough teeth to knock out in the mouths of the fans that cheer "The Big One".

Lizzerd
10-20-03, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Chief
Looked to me like like he was defending the car as safe to drive at high oval speeds. Almost in a "that's what it's designed to do" way.

That's true, but the formula is designed to encourage "racing" that makes Kenny's kind of crash virtually inevitable. Kenny was lucky, we all know that. The strongest of tubs wouldn't have saved his life if he had hit that pole at a different attitude. I'm really a bit surprised that it hadn't happened before.

FTG
10-20-03, 04:32 PM
I'm sure the IRL knows that Kenny's crash generated more publicity than anything their PR department has ever done.

I'm sure the more times the video is played, the happier they are.

Dvdb
10-20-03, 09:48 PM
The g-friend taped the ChampCar race for me. She called me Sunday night and said something to the effect "you see the crash?".

Turns out she was flipping between the Rams and the Earl......thinking I was slowly converting her I said I was stunned she was watching racing.

Her response?

"well, Helio!!!"

She kills me, and that's one reason love her.

Tall1
10-20-03, 11:15 PM
Inasmuch as CART & earl are not as popular as the fendered series, we have not had to endure watching the accident as often or as long as the Earnhardt accident. BTW - he's still dead.

Jonezzy_33
10-21-03, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
Then don't ever go to Talledega or Daytona. You would have a hard time finding enough teeth to knock out in the mouths of the fans that cheer "The Big One".

That's starting to really annoy me about NASCAR fan. Sadler's crash was scary. Its like so many people forget there's a human life in there.