PDA

View Full Version : Ohio CART fan

racer2c
10-18-03, 11:48 AM
So I'm stopped in the traffic hell of suburban Washington D.C. the other day when a this guy rolled his window down beside me and did the universal sign for rolling ones window down. I'm thinking "great, I musta cut this guy off and now he's gonna start something". Instead he's grinning from ear to ear and says, "hey, you're a CART racing fan?" Knowing that he is assuming this by my personalized license plate that references that I am indeed a CART fan. I respond by saying that I've been a fan of CART since it's inception. He asked if I ever went to the "500". Thinking to myself that this was his way of showing he was an IRL fan, I said, "not since Tony George ruined it." He laughed and said "me neither"!

As he drove off I noticed his Virginia plate had his alma mater logo and the letters said OSU 92.

This is a rare thing down here in Virginia. Maybe I should move to Ohio, seems like they love CART up there.

:thumbup: :)

RaceChic
10-18-03, 12:26 PM
Cool story racer2c !! :thumbup:

A large amount of the OCers Crappies are from Ohio as well. :)

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-03, 01:59 PM
I'd bet that Ohio is probably one of the top 3 states for number of CART fans.

I remember the first time a guy came into my work wearing the new ChampCar logo hat, it thrilled me that finally there was a customer I could talk to about something more than the usual "hows hte weather bla bla bla." The next time he came in, I gave him free parking...turns out he was Director of Events for the GP.

Also, just this past week there was a minivan parked with a CART sticker on the windshield, but they returned on a day where I wasn't working.

lone_groover
10-18-03, 03:02 PM
Considering what surrounds and abuts it, Ohio has always been a beleaguered outpost of civilization. Gave us great americanz like: Paul Newman, Devo, Pere Ubu, Cass Gilbert, Rachel Sweet, Maya Lin, Tin Huey, Martin Sheen, Ted Turner, Burgess Meredith, and MISTER Jamie Farr.

:thumbup:

RTKar
10-18-03, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by lone_groover
Considering what surrounds and abuts it, Ohio has always been a beleaguered outpost of civilization. Gave us great americanz like: Paul Newman, Devo, Pere Ubu, Cass Gilbert, Rachel Sweet, Maya Lin, Tin Huey, Martin Sheen, Ted Turner, Burgess Meredith, and MISTER Jamie Farr.

:thumbup:

Don't forget Eddie Rickenbacher born in Columbus; war hero, pilot, racer - the Indy 500 in 1911, also former owner of the Speedway.

JT265
10-18-03, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Don't forget Eddie Rickenbacher born in Columbus; war hero, pilot, racer - the Indy 500 in 1911, also former owner of the Speedway.

Or.........................................

Drew Carey. :D