PDA

View Full Version : Portland...Doesn't look good

tllips
10-16-03, 10:45 AM
According to this link (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/motorsports/144074_cain16.html) Montreal has PIR's traditional date and there are no plans to race in Portland for 2004. :(

JoeBob
10-16-03, 11:19 AM
Except now Montreal is back on the F1 schedule in June. I doubt CART and F1 would both race in Montreal in June, unless CART runs as a support race for F1, which also seems doubtful.

VtOpenWheel
10-16-03, 11:27 AM
The traditional Portland date would not only create back to back race weekends in Montreal, it would be the same weekend as F1 at Indy. Doesn't seem like a good idea.

datachicane
10-16-03, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by VtOpenWheel
The traditional Portland date would not only create back to back race weekends in Montreal, it would be the same weekend as F1 at Indy. Doesn't seem like a good idea.

Umm, you do realize that Portland is a very long way from Indy (and not just geographically :D), and that it ran back-to-back with Cleveland in '99, '00 and '01? What part of that doesn't sound like a good idea?

VtOpenWheel
10-16-03, 01:43 PM
What I meant is it would hurt CART/OWRS Montreal attendance if you had an F1 race the previous weekend and were going head to head w/ F1 at Indy.

Chief
10-16-03, 02:53 PM
I'd hate to raise a shadow of doubt, but, to what schedule are they referring? The one that doesn't exist???:confused:

How can they imply there's a schedule? This sounds like a PIR PR spin job.

datachicane
10-16-03, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by VtOpenWheel
What I meant is it would hurt CART/OWRS Montreal attendance if you had an F1 race the previous weekend and were going head to head w/ F1 at Indy.

My mistake. I thought you were referring to the PDX race, not Montreal. You're correct.

nrc
10-16-03, 09:37 PM
The story seems to be a little ahead of itself on the sale. Nothing has been sold yet and that's part of the problem. CART can't can't sign any new deals while the sale is in process, so they're stuck in limbo.

While I've been pleased to hear OWRS talk about preserving the mix with ovals and natural terrain road courses, I'm afraid that the road courses on the "tentative" list may be in for some tough love.