PDA

View Full Version : Book Review

Ziggy
10-15-03, 07:37 PM
Jim Clark, Racing Legend by Eric Dymock

Well, racefans, what can I say? Seeing this book for the first time in Classic Motorbooks catalog in 1999 had me interested. I am, without a doubt, a huge Clark fan. I was rather reserved in my quest for this book, for after scanning it in 2000 I figured I was not in the frame of mind to read such a personal expose.

Eric Dymock is a Scot himself, and met Jim Clark for the first time in Edinburgh in 1955. To put this meeting in proper perspective, the occasion was for the formation of the "Ecurie Agricola" which was a sporting team of farmers organizing the Scottish Rally.

The author covers Clark's early life in great detail, even going as far as trying to figure out the "how's" and "why's" of his talent. You get the background on the Clark family, parents, sisters, where they lived, when and where they moved too. Also are included several great photographs of the twice world champion's home, school, farming and his associates.

Also covered in great detail are the formation and players of Racing Clubs in Scotland. If you ever wanted the lowdown on Ecurie Ecosse or Border Reiver's racing teams, you must read this book. I found it fascinating, for it was a special time when racing was very uncomplicated. The racing sportsmen like Ian Scott Watson and Jack McBain, and the role they played are very well done.

Many books have been written on the subject of Jim Clark. His place in motorsports cannot be denied. For those fans who have a special fascination for Clark, this is the book for you. While this reader found the psychological mechanics a bit over the top, one must remember that this book was written by a man who was not only a friend of Clarks, but also a great admirer of his talent.

It is a myth buster, to be sure. A very personal look at a very gifted driver. The complexities of life at the pinnacle of motorsports, the guilt of leaving the family farm, the business side of racing, and the relationship's with Chapman and Stokes along with Walter Hayes and the Ford Motor Company are all there for the reader.

The photographs are excellent. Some never seen before by this writer, which is saying something. I read the epilogue first, and it threw me off for a time. This was a very personal book for the writer, who no doubt felt a sense of accomplishment getting it all on paper.

I would like to commend him for doing such an excellent job on a book. I hope he feels better. I know I do.

Excellent forward by Dan Gurney

Ziggy

JoeBob
10-15-03, 08:43 PM
Awesome review, Zig. Thanks for sharing!

Railbird
10-15-03, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the review Zig

good job

RaceGrrl
10-15-03, 11:09 PM
Nice review- now I'm interested in the book, though it's not something I'd normally read. You'd think the public library would have it, but they don't. That just sucks.

RichK
10-16-03, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Ziggy, you are making my wife's Christmas shopping list very easy this year!

We have a big Jim Clark print (the famous Jesse Alexander photo) in our den, he's always been an enigmatic driver and this book will be very interesting to read.

mapguy
10-16-03, 11:40 AM
Excellent review Zig. Jimmy was my Dad's favourite driver. Funny how my Old Man ended up volunteering for Ecurie Ecosse and not Border Reiver's.

Here is the statue erected in memory of Jim. It was Jim's mother's favourite pic of him.

http://eis.net.au/~bramwell/jimk2.jpg

Jackie Stewart once said about Jimmy:

He was a man who made no enemies and kept his friends.

Chris Amon said upon hearing of his death:

He was our leader. If it could happen to him what chance to the rest of us have?

He is, IMO, the greatest Grand Prix driver ever. He had such a natural talent that he could win in anything. Formula 1, IndyCars, Touring Cars and Sports Cars. He ran a Ford Cortina in the RAC Rally and would have had a great finish if the car didn't let him down. Apparently he also ran a NASCAR race and did a good job. (Racewriter can you shed some light on this?)

http://www.mcz.com/f1/image/driver/clark1.jpg

Thanks again Zig. :thumbup:

mapguy
10-16-03, 11:41 AM
One more thing. I found this pic of Jimmy and Graham Hill. In between them is a young lad mouthing off. That is Damon Hill..

http://eis.net.au/~bramwell/jim_graham_damon.jpg

Don Quixote
10-16-03, 12:01 PM
Thanks Ziggy. You've convinced me to read this one.

JT265
10-16-03, 12:03 PM
Great stuf Zig, thanks!

And Mapster, can't add a lot to your props, save for when Don Rogers took my Dad and I to Mosport for the 1st one, Jim came over tussled my hair and autographed my cap. (I was about Damons age in the pic) Maybe because I thought he was cool or because my mom's family came from the same county as Jim's, either way he made a fan for life that day.

Oh, and Racewriter would have more info than me, but I believe his 1st Nascar start was Rockingham, which IMO would be a trial by fire to get a handle on a stock car. ('specially one with that you steer from the proper side) :D

mapguy
10-16-03, 12:18 PM
Just noticed that Dan Gurney did the forward. I can't remember the exact quote but Dan and Jim were good friends.

At Jim's funeral, Jim's mother told Dan that he was the one driver that Jim feared most on the track. After hearing that Dan was pretty choked up.

JohnHKart
10-16-03, 07:21 PM
Have had this book for about three years now.....It's a good one....

JH

RTKar
10-18-03, 07:52 PM
Bought it this afternoon,an excellent read. It's hard to put down.

Treeface
10-19-03, 02:00 AM
Thanks for taking the time Zig.