PDA

View Full Version : "The Truth" with Robin Miller

fourrunner
10-14-03, 07:56 PM
Well let's just say that it was not a good show for the IRL

Robin re iterated his article, with some extra emphasis

One of the other hosts pretty much just "Trashed" the legitimacy of the IRL as a whole.

Mentioned Tony George's lack of even a mention of "concern" for Kenny Brack,s condition during the post race Festivities! Which just underscored the IRL philosophy that the Show is Everything, and any negatives are to be ignored or glossed over.

Also predicts that Insurers will run as soon as a car goes into the stands, and Open Wheel on Ovals will cease to exist, and possibly Open Wheel altogether.

Well the show is called "The Truth"

RaceChic
10-14-03, 08:55 PM
Who was the other host?

Was anyone else listening and can add more? I missed it. Please? :D

Railbird
10-14-03, 09:14 PM
Scoggans went off on a rant comparing the possible results to LeMans 55.

of course he carried it a little over the top.

"all in all" it was a pretty good show.

even if they didn't read any of my Herman Georing emails

fourrunner
10-14-03, 09:35 PM
RaceChic...... The other hosts are Jay Baker & Dave Scoggan ( I had to look that up) ;)

Railbird...Scoggan did preface his Anti IRL statements that he was No Fan of the Series.

What Amazed me was the emphasis on various Drivers saying that the racing is dangerous but not fun.

From what Robin said on his interpretation of Dixon's comments after the Race, it sounded like he doesn't want to be there even though he's said out loud he will be there next year.

Personally it seems odd that knowing what these drivers know about the dangers, and that beneath the bravado, they really are concerned about driving 16 Ovals wheel to wheel in the IRL, It's not courage but stupidity or greed for money that makes them stay there. Loyalty to an owner with this kind of risk ( 76 Injuries in 87 Races ) seems moronic!

I was particularly impressed with Robins statement that even in CART, you can perceive the difference in the drivers temperment and attitudes when they're at Fontana as opposed to the Street or Road courses! They'd rather not be there!

Railbird
10-14-03, 09:55 PM
I've listened to Scoggans in a couple other local shows so I already know how he feels about the IRL. He grew up in the same neighborhood as I did and was a track rat as a kid as I was. I wasn't criticizing his "over the top" stuff, just giving a report.

As far as why the drivers do it goes, stupidity and greed are reasons that run through the history of motorsports.

Some guys get payed to do it
Some guys do it for free
Some guys have even been known to pay for the privilage

Jonezzy_33
10-15-03, 01:04 AM
Anton George = Vince McMahon?

JT265
10-15-03, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Jonezzy_33
Anton George = Vince McMahon?

Naw. Vince is a success. ;)

Jonezzy_33
10-15-03, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Naw. Vince is a success. ;)

:rofl: :laugh:

stymie
10-15-03, 01:55 PM
Scoggan was clear in his statements that C^RT too was vulnerable to a car injuring fans, because of the speeds produced by both he is not convenced that the fences are not high or strong enough. They made note of both the Michigan and Charlotte races where a wheel killed fans and that if a car did something similar to LaMans today ALL RACING WOULD BE DEAD as we know it. All agreed that the IRL and CART on Speedways faced the same dangers because of the rules allowing close side by side racing, although C^RT's rule package allowed for more passing opportunities.

Robin stated that the design of the Dellara Chassis was good, he also noted that if C^RT raced as many ovals the injury rate would be close if not the same. In Robin's opinion the drivers do not mind racing Super speedways occasionally, but that smaller tracks and road courses lead to reduced stress for the drivers over the tight action every week in the IRL.

fourrunner
10-15-03, 05:32 PM
Scoggan did bring CART into the Equation, However the entire argument from Scoggans point of view, and Robin Miller concured was the IRL,s virtual denial of any problem at all, from Tony Georges refusal to acknowledge concern for Kenny Brack during the post race ceremonies, to the Indycar websites "backpaging" the situation.

"Never a discouraging word from the IRL", and Scoggan was beside himself when he uttered those words.

My personal slant is that Tony George memorizes as best he can what he's going to say in the Post Race Ceremonies. Any diversion from the script is confusing to him. So No mention of Kenny Brack could be said becuase it would have confused him. It was pathetic watching two people so lacking in charisma close out the season for the IRL!

By saying that CART would have close or similar numbers under the same circumstances is pure conjecture, and wishful thinking. The fact is WHO KNOWS. CART doesn't run 16 ovals so it's ridiculous to bring it up. A mere throw away line from Robin to not appear TOOOO anti IRL!

They also said that CARTs pulling out of Texas was a Good & Smart thing to do in hindsight. CART did care about it's Drivers, and IRL Hack # 1 Michael Andretti sat at the table during CART's Texas press conference leading the Drivers concerns for the inherent dangers of TMS.

Scoggans also stated the the IRL philosophy is
"Shut Up & Drive", after which Robin reiterated his thoughts from personal conversations that the Drivers would rather not do 16 ovals, but do not say so for the record!!

I'm sure Robin will balance the score card over the next few weeks, once Tony makes his call to ESPN!

JT265
10-15-03, 07:17 PM
My personal slant is that Tony George memorizes as best he can what he's going to say in the Post Race Ceremonies. Any diversion from the script is confusing to him.

Toeknee: Psst! Uhhhhh, where's page 2 Fred?

Fred: Um, I don't know.

Toeknee: gotcha!Um, er, I don't know

Ain't it amazing how some of the best interview lines in motorsport start with a mistake?