PDA

View Full Version : It's getting hard to not be jazzed about 2004

rabbit
10-14-03, 07:48 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/8497/

But, when it comes to Forsythe, mine is not to reason why; mine is but to observe that he is the guiding force behind two of the most successful events on the Champ Car schedule (one of which now rightly touts itself as one of the world’s biggest motorsports events) and that his Champ Car team took a giant step toward its first championship on Sunday thanks, in large part, to the fact that Forsythe was willing to spend big money to bring Tracy to his team at a time when other team owners were following the trail of engine subsidies aka “manufacturers cocaine”) elsewhere.

If there’s a common denominator here, it’s that Gerald Forsythe is not afraid to think big and, more important, to back up his big thinking with big actions. Just a little something to keep in mind as Forsythe and his partners in OWRS look to take the sport of Champ Car racing forward in 2004 and beyond.

mexican
10-14-03, 08:31 PM
manufacturers cocaine

:D

anyone for another Mexican race in 2005? near the ocean/sea :cool:

devilmaster
10-14-03, 08:43 PM
Not to disuade a 3rd Mexico race, but I'd really like to see a Brazil race back on the sked first.

If done right, I think a race there will add another profitable race to the ChampCar series, which will definitely help the series survive, and help CART afford to return to some of the financially struggling tracks that we as fans love.

The more I see what OWRS has in store for 2004, the more I get jacked for next year. The idea of making sure they bring everything to the weekend that is needed - lots of racing, extra curricular events - that way there is something for everyone, it removes them from the old mindset of, you give us 2 million, we'll bring the race and you worry bout everything else.

Steve

Ankf00
10-14-03, 09:09 PM
ACAPULCO!
but on a real circuit, not some crappity crap miami crap.

Railbird
10-14-03, 09:21 PM
Yeah, it's begining to looked pretty solid.

In many ways CART's better off now than they were at this time last year.

Maybe not mph, but ya takes your chances.

With the teams already in place all it takes is a few bucks tossed in the right direction.

Last year at this time a doom and gloomer could find six cars ready to answer the 2003 bell and even a cheerleader had a hard time accounting for twelve.

nrc
10-14-03, 10:07 PM
Last year at this time even some of the most diehard CART fans were wringing their hands and ready to throw in the towel. I told them that CART would be around this year and I told you why: CART had the money in the bank to make it happen and Pook was willing to spend it, and Gerry Forsythe had too much invested and too much to gain from his big events to allow it to die.

Do the math on Monterrey and Mexico City and it's easy to see that Forsythe is pulling in well over 30 million for those two events. What Forrest Bond and his Junior Accountants fan club like to overlook is that once it's a private company, it no longer matters whether CART/OWRS makes money. The only thing that matters is that Gerry Forsythe, Kevin Kalkoven, Paul Gentilozzi, their partners and associates make money at the bottom line.

devilmaster
10-14-03, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

I said it before and i'll say it again. I really feel CART needed to see the Abyss. That way, they knew which way to walk away from it properly.

"When you look long into the Abyss, the Abyss looks long into you..."

steve

JT265
10-14-03, 10:20 PM
Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You are a wise man, Stevie. :D

fourrunner
10-14-03, 10:24 PM
And it sure helps that the IRL is suffering some of the same "Albatros" like bad luck that seemed to befall CART the last couple of years. They (IRL)seemed like Teflon for awhile there.
Oh the Irony!!

devilmaster
10-14-03, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You are a wise man, Stevie. :D

damn.....

now i have one more bill to pay.... wheres that consolidation loan 1-800 number?

Steve

Jonezzy_33
10-15-03, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by devilmaster
Not to disuade a 3rd Mexico race, but I'd really like to see a Brazil race back on the sked first.

If done right, I think a race there will add another profitable race to the ChampCar series, which will definitely help the series survive, and help CART afford to return to some of the financially struggling tracks that we as fans love.

Agreed, plus we could possibly see some Brazilian companies pony up like the Mexican companies did. It also doesn't hurt having Bruno, Mario, et. al, around too. ;)

KobySon
10-15-03, 02:01 PM
devilmaster: ...brazil before mexico...

Originally posted by Jonezzy_33
Agreed, plus we could possibly see some Brazilian companies pony up like the Mexican companies did. It also doesn't hurt having Bruno, Mario, et. al, around too. ;)

I would say take both, but if the opportunity is there, take another mexican race as soon as possible. Unlike the canadians, the mexican companies seem to be adding more and more sponsorship as the number of races and the amount of exposure increases. The market in mexico hardly seems saturated. As a bonus, it is much less expensive and tiring for the teams to travel to mexico.

Traveling to Brasil is more expensive without a freight partner. It would make sense with some guarantees of full year team sponsorship though.

Chaos
10-15-03, 03:57 PM
Most sporting dollars in Canada go to Hockey. Racing is, unfortunately, a distant second.

molive
10-15-03, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by KobySon
Traveling to Brasil is more expensive without a freight partner. It would make sense with some guarantees of full year team sponsorship though.

If travelling to Rio or Sao Paulo is costly, imagine if Emmo gets to bring CART to Brasilia. Its 1,200km from Rio, deep in the heart of the country.

Having said that, CART needs to build its own markets, and the two big cities already have some major sports, adding a CART race wouldnt make an impact as it would here. I bet the stands would be filled (as opposed to the last race in Rio, when you could see some empty seats).

Anyway, I'll be SOOOOO HAPPPYYY if it does come true, as I'll be just 15mins from the track...:D

Regarding the 3rd Mexican race, I dunno. I think it could saturate, over expose the series and make the now abundant money get a bit thin.

Here's what I think would be perfect:

2 races in canada
2 in mexico
1 in Brazil
6 in the US
2 in Aussie
1 in Japan (or Korea or China or Malaysia)
3 in Europe

Total: 17 races of a trully world class championship.

nz_climber
10-15-03, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by molive

2 in Aussie

Total: 17 races of a trully world class championship.

Thats got my vote :D

Bring on champcars at bathurst :cool: :thumbup:

Jonezzy_33
10-16-03, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by KobySon
I would say take both, but if the opportunity is there, take another mexican race as soon as possible.

Where would be some more good places in Mexico to have races (would Cancun or Tijuana be good?)? I like that idea with the support they show.

Robstar
10-16-03, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by nz_climber
Thats got my vote :D

Bring on champcars at bathurst :cool: :thumbup:

not sure if they'll handle the dipper...;)

KobySon
10-17-03, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by molive
If travelling to Rio or Sao Paulo is costly, imagine if Emmo gets to bring CART to Brasilia. Its 1,200km from Rio, deep in the heart of the country.

Having said that, CART needs to build its own markets, and the two big cities already have some major sports, adding a CART race wouldnt make an impact as it would here. I bet the stands would be filled (as opposed to the last race in Rio, when you could see some empty seats).

Anyway, I'll be SOOOOO HAPPPYYY if it does come true, as I'll be just 15mins from the track...:D

Brasil, anywhere, would be great. I'm just saying the trucks can drive virtually anywhere in Mexico.

k

cart7
10-17-03, 08:26 PM
Yeah, it's begining to looked pretty solid.

Maybe not mph, but ya takes your chances.

With the teams already in place all it takes is a few bucks tossed in the right direction.

Last year at this time a doom and gloomer could find six cars ready to answer the 2003 bell and even a cheerleader had a hard time accounting for twelve.

Yep! It's really starting to look better. We've got a couple guys with money that sound committed to making this work. It's looking really optimistic and I'm sticking around for the long haul. :thumbup:

manic mechanic
10-17-03, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by mexican
manufacturers cocaine

:D

anyone for another Mexican race in 2005? near the ocean/sea :cool:

Stretch that a bit and come to this conclusion:

Have a third race in SoCal...San Diego. :D

With NAFTA in full force, the Mexican contingent could come to "El Norte", and those of us in "AHHNoldville" would still be able to attend w/o having to spend 3 hours at the border crossing each direction. :rofl:

manic

mexican
10-18-03, 02:04 AM
I'm all for Cancun as a possible place for a 3rd race. The city has the infrastructure to host all the people who would like to go to the race. For many years it has been Mexico's #1 tourist destination. It is exotic, beautiful, the weather is fabulous and it is also very close (via air) to major North American and South American markets.

One of the few benefits I could see in holding the race in Aca(puke)lco would be it is a close driving distance to Mexico City's huge fan base. The only bad point I can see in Cancun is where are you going to set up a decent course layout. (though, as we have seen, that does not seem to be a priority)

I'd like to see CART race in Brazil again. But, at it has been mentioned before, the logistics of getting there make it a lot harder. Even if Brazilian sponsors rival (and historicaly, have beaten) Mexico's involvement in racing. Right now Mexican involvement in CART is still on an upswing.

molive
10-18-03, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by mexican
I'd like to see CART race in Brazil again. But, at it has been mentioned before, the logistics of getting there make it a lot harder. Even if Brazilian sponsors rival (and historicaly, have beaten) Mexico's involvement in racing. Right now Mexican involvement in CART is still on an upswing.

Sadly, CART interest level is in an all time low down here...Of course, the Indy split hurt by making things confusing for the average fan...also a few bad tv deals (the series is in its 3rd network deal and mostly not shown live), also the lack of big name drivers like we had in the past, the loss of Rio's race, etc, lots of reasons why CART is not very popular here atm and the main reason why Brazilian sponsors have literally abandoned it...

It could all change if the race comes back here though...lets hope it does! :)

nrc
10-19-03, 12:23 AM
CART needs to stay focused on North America. The only exception should be deals that bring two or more major sponsors and a fat sanction fee. As much as I enjoyed Rockingham, Lautsitz and Brands, I really don't think they can be justified from a cost or sponsorship perspective. I'm skeptical that a race in South Korea will be any different.

I also think it's best to stick with two Mexican races for the time being since the attendance at Monterrey seemed to suffer from the addition of Mexico City.

Railbird
10-20-03, 10:51 AM
CART needs to stay focused on North America. The only exception should be deals that bring two or more major sponsors and a fat sanction fee

I agreed with that statement before last season, and I am even more convinced it is the correct plan for the next few years.

Consolidate their strenghts while regrouping.

KobySon
10-20-03, 11:56 AM
CART needs to stay focused on North America. The only exception should be deals that bring two or more major sponsors and a fat sanction fee

I agreed with that statement before last season, and I am even more convinced it is the correct plan for the next few years.

Consolidate their strenghts while regrouping.

Which is kind of the way the Mexican races have been panning out.

Those races are responsible for adding/retaining 5 cars and have fat sanctioning fees, plus yield a few associate sponsorships. It's great when less than 1/4 of your races can account for more than 1/4 of your car count.