PDA

View Full Version : Cheap on Windtunnel

Wheel-Nut
10-14-03, 10:08 AM
I caught the last part of Windtunnel last night and Chip was on . . .

He was saying how he missed road racing and TCGR was "looking" into an ALMS team or Grand Am team. He stressed they were just "checking thier options" and nothing had been decided. . . .

Towards the end of the interview he only mentioned Grand Am while touting his NASCAR operation and never again said ALMS.

Toyota has a couple of teams (http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/news/index_grandam.html) in Grand Am now. Should we expect to see TCGR with a Toyota Grand Am car next year? Possibly Dixon doing some driving?

Some of you who keep up with "Sports Cars" hear anything?

JoeBob
10-14-03, 10:24 AM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&content_code=05760928

Ganassi may run Grand-Am Daytona Prototypes

Rumor has Chip Ganassi Racing entering a pair of Daytona Prototypes in next year’s Grand-American Road Racing Championship.
Word is that Ganassi has two of Riley & Scott’s new MkXI chassis and will run Toyota V8s. The cars will debut in the Daytona 24 hour on Jan. 31-Feb. 1 next year and will contest the full France-family-run Grand-Am series. Ganassi hasn’t confirmed the deal. R&S officials will only say it has sold its first cars to a “well-known” team.

Grand-Am boss Roger Edmondson predicted Ganassi could be the first of a number of NASCAR teams to join the series. “I see a trend whereby more NASCAR drivers do our big races, including Daytona.”

Wheel-Nut
10-14-03, 10:37 AM
Thanks JoeBob. So I guess Chip is really a "company man". Toyota speaks and Cheap listens!!

Methanolandbrats
10-14-03, 10:48 AM
Doughboy must like empty stands. Nobody watches that crap either.

Andrew Longman
10-14-03, 11:13 AM
Did anyone else think Chip was drunk? A few cocktails with dinner perhaps?

He made very little sense to me. "Have the France family design tunnel flaps to prevent flip overs" !?!

He didn't seem like he was making a joke and certainly doesn't want to do anything to spoof the Frances.

JoeBob
10-14-03, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Longman
He didn't seem like he was making a joke and certainly doesn't want to do anything to spoof the Frances.

Cheep showers praise upon all those who shower him with money. Toyota doesn't need the Ganassi name in Grand Am - but the France family does.

(Besides, wasn't it Rousch who developed the roof flaps?)

DaveL
10-14-03, 11:47 AM
If Toyota paid Cheep to race swampbuggies he'd do it. He is nothing more than Toyota's bitch and anything he ever says has to be taken with that important fact in mind.

RaceChic
10-14-03, 12:06 PM
The farther away he goes, in my books, the better. :cool: