PDA

View Full Version : Vasser to Rahal with Shell?

nrc
01-22-03, 12:31 PM
According to this SPEEDTV.com story (http://www.speedtv.com/auto/?lvl=3a&cat=18&id=4853) Vasser will drive the full season in CART this year for Bobby Rahal and Shell along with his partial BGN season.

Is this just a NASCAR guy out to lunch? I thought Shell was supposed to be gone and everyone had Jeemy penciled in for Johanson's team.

JLMannin
01-22-03, 12:37 PM
One working theory I have seen is that Blake has last years info on Jimmy/CART. The Speed article states Vasser is 36; he is actually 37.

I do not think this report of Vasser/Rahal/Shell/2003 is corect.

mnkywrch
01-22-03, 12:37 PM
Probably.

It now says

Vasser, 36, is expected to drive the full season in CART this year. However, he plans to run 10 or 12 Busch events this season for owner Todd Braun, who will make a full-season effort with rookie Chad Blount, newcomer from ARCA.

pchall
01-22-03, 12:43 PM
Busch?

There is only a snoopy word for that:

blehhh!

datachicane
01-22-03, 12:50 PM
In other news,
Dewey defeats Truman!

nrc
01-22-03, 12:53 PM
Yes, looks like this is confirmed as a NASCAR guy suffering from cranial-rectal inversion.

I don't begrudge Jeemy his NASCAR retirement as long as he's willing to stick with CART long enough to avoid being labeled as part of the "exodus."

RacinM3
01-22-03, 02:31 PM
I would guess that Jeemy would accept a "decent" CART ride WAY before he'd accept a "great" Busch ride. I won't begrudge him no matter what.

Joe in LA
01-22-03, 03:34 PM
Jimmy was fastest in testing his first day in the Busch car. Not that that will mean much come race day, but good start.

mnkywrch
01-22-03, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Yes, looks like this is confirmed as a NASCAR guy suffering from cranial-rectal inversion.

Like a guy who has to follow what's going on in three NASCAR series is supposed to keep up with THIS season's CART Silly Season.

Blake's one of my fav NASCAR writers, actually... him, Poole, Dutton, and Mulhern.

Axel
01-22-03, 05:16 PM
I watch all the above series and 8-9 more and im just a fan
and I think we all now that shell was gone. Why cant someone that is writing professional columns for a motorsports channel..

Not good enough.

:thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown: :thumdown:

rabbit
01-22-03, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Like a guy who has to follow what's going on in three NASCAR series is supposed to keep up with THIS season's CART Silly Season.

Blake's one of my fav NASCAR writers, actually... him, Poole, Dutton, and Mulhern.

Try covering CART, NASCAR, IRL, F1, the local dirt track, and various and sundry sports from 47 local high schools. 'taint easy and occasionally mistakes like this, however silly, do slip through. Heck, just a few weeks ago I wrote a story about a local basketball tournament that used to be played every Christmas. I said the last game had been on March 29, 1986.:saywhat: :o :gomer: How I wrote that and how it slipped passed me, my editor, a designer and a copy editor without being caught I'll never know.:shakehead

Blake does a good job and usually avoids the Dixie koolaid.

Ziggy
01-22-03, 05:25 PM
I read some very positive statements by Jimmy in an article yesterday. It may have been more due to fortunes timing, but Vasser said in effect "I really wanted to stay in CART, I had helped with some of the ground work, and did not want to walk away from it or see it fail"

Hindsight is 20/20, but I pray to God that more than one guy (and that would be Paul Tracy) would have enough sack to not race a Formula Tonywagon (fulltime) The one off Indy drives paid well Im sure. If anyone can come to grips with the Mike Andretti situation over money, than forgiving these guys for running Indy for a healthy check is easy! Vasser was good at Indianapolis. It's a shame that His generation of American Champ Car driver had to suffer through this era.

He could very well be on the Borg Warner, for real ('96)?

Ziggy

Joe in LA
01-22-03, 05:34 PM
Vasser in '96-'98 was IMHO, the best superspeedway driver. It is really too bad he didn't get a shot at that time.