JT265
10-13-03, 03:46 PM
I'm so there. ;)

racer2c
10-13-03, 04:00 PM
In a Champ Car second.

Warlock!
10-13-03, 04:11 PM
If they'd let me take my beer in there and allow me to set my beer on the pit wall when it was time to wave. If not, you can have the job.

Warlock!

Methanolandbrats
10-13-03, 04:36 PM
No. I don't want to be sectioned and have my torso land in the hospitality suites.

Andrew Longman
10-13-03, 05:38 PM
Thought that was so cool yesterday. What a throwback.

But seriously, I'd do it in a second so long as the drivers knew I'd be out there. Its been so long since they flagged from the pavement I'd be worried that some young gun would as surprised to see me there as a opposing relief pitcher might be to find a cheerleading groundskeeper in his bullpen. (Sorry, had to do it:p )

RaceChic
10-13-03, 05:39 PM
I know it is dangerous as hell, and call me crazy, but..... I've always wanted to be that close to a Champ Car as it goes screaming by. :D

But.... like Andrew Longman said.... as long as the drivers knew I was going to be standing on the hot track, exactly where and NOT expecting me to be up on the flag stand instead !!! ;)

pchall
10-13-03, 07:51 PM
When I gain another 200 lbs, I too can play Toto Roche.

nissan gtp
10-13-03, 08:03 PM
I'd even wear a nice suit !

that's the picure of the year. wonder how many computers have it as wallpaper ??? (mine :D )

Sean O'Gorman
10-13-03, 08:23 PM
I'd do it in a second. I'm always coming close to getting hit by cars, the only difference is this one is a little bit pointier and moving a hell of a lot faster!

Hardpoint
10-13-03, 09:54 PM
Absolutely.

Jonezzy_33
10-13-03, 10:02 PM
Do you even have to ask :D

nz_climber
10-13-03, 10:53 PM
Of course :D

DjDrOmusic
10-15-03, 10:51 AM
Yes, and I'd even buy a violet suit to wear ala Tex Hopkins at Watkins Glen in the 70's!:D

anait
10-15-03, 12:34 PM
Yup. :thumbup: After a lesson from Jim in proper flag technique, though - I wanna wave it just like he does!! :D

indyfan31
10-15-03, 07:16 PM
The more I look at it (it's my desktop now) the more I like that picture. The framing and timing are perfect. This one picture shows everything that happened in that moment: the driver, the top three cars, Swintal in the classic pose, the flag fully unfurled, the huge crowd on its feet, and the car is blurred just enough to show the speed but not so much it loses all detail. Kudos to Dan Boyd.

And YES, I'd do it.

Twisty Bits
10-16-03, 12:58 AM
Not til Mario gets outa the car.
;)

flobee1kenobi
10-17-03, 07:30 AM
I've always wanted to be that close to a Champ Car as it goes screaming by

Back when CART was at MIS me and 2 buddys went in the grandstands to the point right before turn 1 where they are closest to the outside wall and leaned face down against the fence as the cars screamed by at 240 MPH five feet below us

I nearly peed my pants!

oddlycalm
10-21-03, 09:16 PM
Very cool image.

I have to confess that when it looked like PT was heading right for him that I kinda wished they'd have sent an invitation to TG asking him if he's like to come down and waive the flap...:cool:

FCYTravis
10-22-03, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by RaceChic
I know it is dangerous as hell, and call me crazy, but..... I've always wanted to be that close to a Champ Car as it goes screaming by.

I've been that close a few times this year... of course, with a chunk of K-wall between me and the cars.

Us flaggers get to be up close and personal with the machinery :)

mapguy
10-22-03, 05:26 AM
What I would like to know is who are the two nancy boys who voted no?

Corner5
10-22-03, 12:57 PM
I'd do it in a minute ........ as long as Scheckter wasn't driving!:D

Kahauna Dreamer
10-22-03, 02:35 PM
Try and stop me!!! :D

scanman
10-22-03, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Warlock!
If they'd let me take my beer in there and allow me to set my beer on the pit wall when it was time to wave. If not, you can have the job.

Warlock!

Now this is the way to do it....I'm in...:cool:

JoeBob
10-22-03, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
What I would like to know is who are the two nancy boys who voted no?

I don't know who they are, but when I asked my wife if she would do it, her answer was, "Not if Paul Tracy is leading the race."

RobGuru
10-22-03, 05:44 PM
Would I do it... oh, yeah!!
:thumbup:

stools
10-25-03, 02:04 PM
When I first saw the question I wasthining is it to drive a Champ Car or wave the flag? Hell yeah to both!

My only concern would be when drivers routinely do a "fly by" and drive up to the wall to salute the crew and not realize the flag guy is doing this in that fashion. I would be 3 feet shorter for life.

I LOVE the suggestion of TG. How he always does this at the USGP. I would claim I was on the radio and plus the race was over...ooops. Plus I could claim, hey HE was the one standing on the track, what was I to do? Or temporary insanity, I mean I just won the damn race and I was all crying and stuff. Or hell, it's TG what did you expect me to do? Me...speeding car.....TG standing on a track holding only a flag. David/Goliath...what would you have done? Yeah, I'm the only one taking the low road:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

RacinM3
10-25-03, 03:39 PM
I'd do it in a second as long as there wasn't a last lap battle for the lead!