PDA

View Full Version : Kenny's condition

nrc
10-12-03, 09:43 PM
Since the other thread has gotten into other topics I thought I would create a thread purely for updates on Kenny's condition so we can find the latest info without digging through other discussion.

Brack was awake and alert when he was airlifted to Dallas Parkland Hospital. According to Dr. Henry Bock, director of medical services for the IRL, Brack is in serious condition with a concussion and multiple extremity injuries.

Further updates on Brack’s condition will be provided when available.
“We are all wishing Kenny and (his wife) Anita our best,” said Team Rahal Team Manager Steve Dickson. “We spoke with Kenny at the care center, and he joked with us. We are all family at Team Rahal and the IRL, and we hope everyone can wish him the very best.”

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=2060

Chitowncartfreak
10-12-03, 10:02 PM
Thanks NRC - good idea. At the end of the day, Kenny's condition is the most important thing.

Chitowncartfreak
10-12-03, 10:14 PM
From indyracing.com/indycar

IndyCar TM Series driver Kenny Brack is in serious and stable condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, said Dr. Henry Bock, director of medical services for the Indy Racing League.

Brack suffered a fractured right femur, a fractured sternum and lumbar and fractures to both ankles in an accident on Lap 188 of the Chevy 500 Oct. 12 at Texas Motor Speedway.

He is awake and alert and will undergo surgery on the femur and both ankles tonight.

The next medical update will be available Oct. 13.

Railbird
10-12-03, 11:12 PM
excuse my ignorance, I'm just a dumbass electrician.

define the lumbar please

is that the pelvis injury I am hearing about?

RaceChic
10-12-03, 11:20 PM
Lumbar spine is the lower back. :)

Railbird
10-12-03, 11:23 PM
That's what I was worried about

thanks Chic

Jag_Warrior
10-12-03, 11:34 PM
Very sorry to hear about this. I wish him and his family well.

FRANKY
10-12-03, 11:46 PM
http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/biology/humananatomy/skeletal/backbone/lumbar.html

JoeBob
10-13-03, 10:09 AM
http://www.rahal.com/news/index.php?newsid=794

Brack suffered fractures of the L-3 spinal vertebra, right femur (leg), both ankles and the sternum and was in surgery on Sunday night to repair the femur and both ankles.
Surgery is scheduled on the vertebra in the next few days.

Dr. Henry Bock, medical director for the Indy Racing League, said Brack's injuries were not life threatening and he is anticipating a full recovery.

JoeBob
10-13-03, 02:48 PM
http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=2062

IRL IndyCar TM Series driver Kenny Brack underwent successful surgery on his right femur and both ankles Oct. 12 at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, said Dr. Henry Bock, director of medical services for the Indy Racing League.

Dr. Brian Estridge, a trauma surgeon, and Dr. Charles Reinert, an orthopedic surgeon, performed the surgery.

Brack remains in serious, but stable condition and is awake and alert, Bock said.

Brack suffered a fractured right femur, a fractured sternum and lumbar and fractures to both ankles in an accident on Lap 188 of the Chevy 500 at Texas Motor Speedway, the final race of the 2003 IndyCar Series season.

Further updates on Brack's condition will be provided when available.

JoeBob
10-14-03, 12:47 PM
http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/0/083209-8500-037.html

Brack's recovery outlook positive
Driver involved in scary accident has surgery on his legs, faces work on back.

DALLAS -- Anita Brack had a lot to be thankful for Monday as her husband began recovering at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

Kenny Brack, the 1998 Indy Racing League champion and 1999 Indianapolis 500 winner, is expected to make a full recovery from the multiple fractures, concussion and facial laceration he suffered in a horrific race-ending accident Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway.

The 37-year-old Swedish driver for Team Rahal underwent successful surgery Sunday night on his fractured right femur and broken ankles. No additional leg surgery is expected, a team spokesman said.

Surgery on Brack's fractured lower back (lumbar No. 3) is expected at Parkland before he can be transported to Indianapolis for rehabilitation. He remained in serious but stable condition Monday evening.

Anita Brack, who is seven months' pregnant, held her husband's hand Monday and said she felt the worst part of the ordeal was behind them. He was sedated most of the day, but his occasional hand squeezes and winks helped buoy his wife's spirit.

Even a baby checkup Anita Brack had Monday morning came back positive.

"All the news we get just keeps getting better and better," she said. "When he talked to me (Sunday night before surgery), I felt better.

"Today (Monday), I see him and I think he's better yet."

Brack's Italian-made Dallara race car vaulted 15 feet into the air Sunday when he touched wheels with Tomas Scheckter at the end of the back straightaway on lap 188 of the Chevy 500K. The impact the car made with the fence ripped apart the car and the barrier, sending Brack spinning violently out of control. Debris scattered across the track and into the unoccupied grandstand area.

The race was stopped seven laps later due to the rescue effort and fence damage. Gil de Ferran was declared the winner. Scott Dixon was credited with second place to earn the IRL's season championship.

Brack's progress was measured in small doses Monday. Parkland orthopedic surgeon Charles Reinert told team officials Brack should need three months to recover from the leg and ankle surgeries. Reinert inserted plates and screws in both ankles, using a bone from Brack's hip to stabilize the right ankle.

The right ankle was presumed to have suffered the most damage immediately after the accident, but there was reason for optimism Monday.

"There was less damage than they initially thought," team press officer Tom Blattler said at Parkland. "His back could take some time (to heal), but Reinert and (IRL doctor) Henry Bock both said they anticipate him making a full recovery."

Blattler said he was encouraged by seeing Brack wiggle all of his swollen toes. Brack was not made available to the media.

The **** over Brack's left eye and his broken sternum suggest he was thrown into the car's steering column during the accident. Blattler said the top half of the steering wheel was bent, but there were no signs of a serious head injury or other internal damage.

Brack's next scheduled race isn't until Feb. 29, 2004.

Parkland Memorial was made famous in November 1963 when President John F. Kennedy was rushed here after being fatally shot while riding in a motorcade. In recent years, IRL drivers Davey Hamilton and Airton Dare have been treated in the hospital's Level 1 trauma center after major accidents at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth.

Brack saw various friends before surgery Sunday night, including fellow drivers Dario Franchitti and Bryan Herta, along with IRL team owner Michael Andretti. Brack's team owner, Bobby Rahal, arrived from Mexico City, where he had a car participating in the Championship Auto Racing Teams race.

Blattler said Brack still had his usual off-beat humor after the accident. When Andretti told him how scared everyone was for his safety, Brack said through his oxygen mask, "Yeah, I guess it was pretty bad, huh."

Herta kidded Brack about his guitar playing not being affected since Brack's arms were not damaged. Brack is a member of a rock band that performs on many IRL weekends. Kenny Brack and the Subwoofers recently released its first CD of cover songs.

"Playing guitar is going to be his (mental) therapy," Anita Brack said.

JoeBob
10-14-03, 01:40 PM
And the back surgery...

http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/news/story.php?story_id=2062

IRL IndyCar TM Series driver Kenny Brack underwent successful surgery on his back Oct. 13 at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas, said Dr. Henry Bock, director of medical services for the Indy Racing League.

Dr. Kevin Morrill, chief neurologist at Parkland, oversaw the procedure, which involved an open fixation on the spinal fracture and a spinal fusion of the L2, L3 and L4 vertebrae.

“Kenny’s spine is stable, and he’s moving his legs and toes,” Morrill said. “We will continue to watch him closely over the next couple of days. Kenny is a world-class athlete, and his physical conditioning will really aid him in this situation.”

Brack remains in serious, but stable condition, Bock said.

Brack suffered a fractured right femur, a fractured sternum and lumbar and fractures to both ankles in an accident on Lap 188 of the Chevy 500 at Texas Motor Speedway, the final race of the 2003 IndyCar Series season.

Persons wishing to send a get-well message to Brack can do so at www.rahal.com or by sending cards or letters to:

Team Rahal
4601 Lyman Dr.
Hilliard, Ohio 43026

Further updates on Brack’s condition will be provided when available.

RaceChic
10-14-03, 01:44 PM
Thank-you so very much, JoeBob. :)

I think I will send him a card as well as an e-mail. What do people think of me sending the card on behalf of OffCamber???? :D

rabbit
10-14-03, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
The **** over Brack's left eye and his broken sternum suggest he was thrown into the car's steering column during the accident. Blattler said the top half of the steering wheel was bent, but there were no signs of a serious head injury or other internal damage. The HANS Device is mandatory in the IRL, no? If Kenny was wearing one, it sounds like we owe Jim Downing and Dr. Hubbard our thanks once again.

Chitowncartfreak
10-14-03, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
The HANS Device is mandatory in the IRL, no? If Kenny was wearing one, it sounds like we owe Jim Downing and Dr. Hubbard our thanks once again.

Actually, I think the HANS is optional - but I think Kenny was wearing one.

devilmaster
10-14-03, 06:20 PM
From Rahal's spokesperson at Parkland tonite....

The L3 Veretebra was basically crushed, they fused L2 through L4.

Feet were mangled in the pedals....

Believed to hit the steering wheel.

Right ankle - many compound fractures....

Was wearing HANS. Helmet was damaged.

His belts stretched, and he was sitting lower in the car.

Will recieve another Cat-scan tonite. First scans were negative.

Anita quoted Kenny as saying - (paraphrased) 'You can get killed by walking across the street, I know the dangers, but its what I love to do'

Doctor believes ankles will have full recovery in around 12 weeks or so.

Steve

RaceChic
10-19-03, 03:17 PM
Brack Released From ICU (http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=ap-irl-brackcondition&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Brack moves from ICU

October 18, 2003

DALLAS (AP) -- Former Indianapolis 500 champion Kenny Brack was moved from the intensive care unit to a private room Saturday as he continues his recovery from a horrendous crash in the final IRL race of the season.

``Kenny was very happy today when he was moved from intensive care,'' said his wife, Anita. ``He was able to eat some solid food for the first time and look outside for the first time since the crash.''

Brack is listed in satisfactory condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital, where he is expected to stay for several more days before being transferred to Indianapolis for rehabilitation.

Brack was injured when his car spun into the air after contact with Tomas Scheckter's car during the race Oct. 12 at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth.

He had surgery on a broken thigh, broken ankles and a broken back. Doctors repaired a spinal fracture and fused three vertebrae.

Lizzerd
10-19-03, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Doctors repaired a spinal fracture and fused three vertebrae.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those situations where the doctors might say something like "If you do this again, you'll never walk again."

Help me out here. I seem to remember this being said to an Earl pilot a few years back, and he retired. Anybody remember who I might be thinking of?

Ziggy
10-19-03, 05:21 PM
Sam Schmidt?????

Chitowncartfreak
10-19-03, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Lizzerd
I hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those situations where the doctors might say something like "If you do this again, you'll never walk again."

Help me out here. I seem to remember this being said to an Earl pilot a few years back, and he retired. Anybody remember who I might be thinking of?

It wasn't Goodyear, was it? He suffered a back injury at Indy in 2001 and retired. I don't think it was Sam Schmidt - he didn't have a choice. The only other possibility I can think of is Stan Wattles - I vaguely remember him retiring out of the blue.

Lizzerd
10-19-03, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
Sam Schmidt?????

Smartazz... :)

Could have been Goodyear. Could have been another halucination, too.

Chitowncartfreak
10-19-03, 08:28 PM
Too many back injuries in the IRL to keep them all straight.

JLMannin
10-21-03, 12:30 PM
Davy Jones after doing his ET imitation at the Mickyard?