PDA

View Full Version : I just got banned at Crapwagon

rabbit
10-12-03, 07:23 PM
I post very occasionally as "hemingway" over there. I was a little upset with people making it a (very petty) CART vs. IRL thing. So they banned me.

http://cartfanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10523&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

Oh, and if Radar reads this, I said "Threads like this are the reason I don't visit this site more," not "Threads like this are the reason I don't visit this site anymore." (I can't even email him because he has his email addy hidden.)

It doesn't bother me that I got banned. But you guys know I am no IRL sympathizer by any stretch. I just thought the bashing was misplaced. Save it for another thread.

Lizzerd
10-12-03, 07:34 PM
You were banned? For that?

Just between you and me, I agree with you. It could happen at Fontana. There was nothing about Earl vs. CART that needed to be said in that thread.

Sometimes I think the Crappys try to out do eash other with their outrageousness.

I hope I'm not banned now too, but I don't post much there.

RaceGrrl
10-12-03, 07:38 PM
FWIW, I think that most Crappys showed restraint in their comments. It's no secret that crapwagons aren't safe race cars and that the nature of the all-oval IRL increases tremendously the chance of a driver being seriously injured in a crash.

Most of the Crappys posting in that thread were doing so out of concern for Kenny, and also recognizing the fact that we wouldn't be seeing broken back after broken back if not for the IRL. In fact, the Alpha Crappy was told by the Nurse to cool it for comments he made in another thread.

Just the same as Spicoli's comments drew the attention of the Nurse, your comments got the attention of the mods. I know you meant well, but I don't think that your comments that this exact same thing could happen in CART were well-timed.

Just my .02

Cam
10-12-03, 07:42 PM
All I can say is...... :shakehead

Jonezzy_33
10-12-03, 07:57 PM
I hate the twIRLy league as much as most here, and I've seen too damn many of their cars decide to try their hands at aviation this year then I care to EVER SEE IN MY LIFETIME.

But this no longer comes down to CART v. IRL thing for me. This is a man's life. A husband, a father, a son and probably an uncle. I'll feel a lot better when I know he's fine.

I just hope and pray to God that Kenny is okay.

RTKar
10-12-03, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Jonezzy_33
I hate the twIRLy league as much as most here, and I've seen too damn many of their cars decide to try their hands at aviation this year then I care to EVER SEE IN MY LIFETIME.

But this no longer comes down to CART v. IRL thing for me. This is a man's life. A husband, a father, a son and probably an uncle. I'll feel a lot better when I know he's fine.

I just hope and pray to God that Kenny is okay.

Well stated, me too.

nrc
10-12-03, 08:14 PM
I think it's fair to observe that that kind of accident could occur anywhere that open wheel cars race wheel to wheel. It happened in Vancouver. It could, God forbid, happen in Fontana.

I don't think it's fair to claim that it could "just as easily" happen in Fontana because CART has never had a formula where high speed side by side racing was so simple and meaningless. By creating more side by side racing you're creating opportunities for wheel to wheel contact. It's a thrill show, not a test of driving ability.

The way you brought Greg Moore into it earned your banning. There was nothing about Greg Moore's accident that was relevant to the topic. Can accidents happen and people get hurt or killed in Champ Car? Of course. But there was nothing specific to Champ Car that made Greg Moore's accident or it's tragic outcome more likely.

NASCAR fans endlessly warn and worry that "plate" racing makes big accidents more likely. That's the exact same concern that people have about the IRL on high banked super speedways. You can call it politics if you like, but it's a legitimate concern.

32Stalker
10-12-03, 08:23 PM
Hemingway, I am sorry you feel the way you do about being banned. Matt and I came back from watching the CART race at my inlaws and saw that all hell broke loose. It is really disconcerting to everyone when a driver, no matter what league they belong to, gets hurt. I think, however, that most people on that thread were concerned about Kenny and hoped he was OK. But I just want to point out to you that some people feel that the very fact that it happened is proof that it IS a CART vs. IRL issue. It is the sole reason why these cars are referred to as crapwagons in the first place, because they are UNSAFE. And I beg to differ with you on another point, that crash would never have happened in CART as, if you recall, CART was so concerned about the safety of the drivers that they did not race at Texas Motor Speedway. You cannot say the same for Tony George and the IRL. Apparently they were more concerned with "putting on a show." But you are entitled to your opinion.

That being said, as an admin and the co-creator of crapwagon, I would like to extend to you, a fellow CART fan, the opportunity to come back. I think people's emotions run pretty high when they get shaken up by something like that. Moderators included.

Marissa

RaceGrrl
10-12-03, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by 32Stalker
I think people's emotions run pretty high when they get shaken up by something like that. Moderators included.

Marissa

I think that is the bottom line. I know I'm shaken up after watching Kenny's crash. There's enough interforum bickering between TF and 7G and others, I certainly don't want to see that happen between my two favorite CART sites.

32Stalker
10-12-03, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
I think that is the bottom line. I know I'm shaken up after watching Kenny's crash. There's enough interforum bickering between TF and 7G and others, I certainly don't want to see that happen between my two favorite CART sites.

Exactly, no need to start doing that with these two sites. Everyone take a deep breath and remember we are all on the same side here. Thanks Grrl. :)

JT265
10-12-03, 08:48 PM
Good thing you're a pacifist Grrl, 'cause I could take you.

Easy. :p :D

(ducks)

rabbit
10-12-03, 08:50 PM
I have no intention of making this a site vs. site thing, just as I don't think what happened in Texas today is relevant in a CART vs. IRL discussion.

RaceChic
10-12-03, 08:56 PM
By bringing what happened over at Crapwagon over here in this thread, that makes it a forum vs. forum thing when it need not be.

The Greg Moore comment along with it could happen in CART...... got me all fired up. I admit it. We (CART) looks at it's problems and releases info to the public on changes instituted as a result. They don't gloss over it. I responded to the post irregardless of who I thought it was because I differ in opinion.

Then linking this over there to say our forum moderator here said the same thing as you..... it creates an us (here) vs. them situation. The two sites have tried to create an environment where we can all get along. It has not been possible in the past between forums, but it has been between these two sites. I'd hate to see that become problematic in the future. The two sites have two very different flavors, and that is what I love about them.

Peace. :)

RaceGrrl
10-12-03, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by JT265
Good thing you're a pacifist Grrl, 'cause I could take you.

Easy. :p :D

(ducks)

You're really funny, JT. :D

Just give me a sec to pull on my dominatrix boots and get out the whip.

JT265
10-12-03, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
You're really funny, JT. :D

Just give me a sec to pull on my dominatrix boots and get out the whip.

:cool: :saywhat: :D