PDA

View Full Version : Rumors From Robin

JoeBob
10-12-03, 10:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/1011/1636253.html

Dario Franchitti going to Newman-Haas in CART.

A.J. Allmendinger, funded by Carl Russo, but running out of Patrick Racing in CART.

Buddy Rice looking for a ride.

Al Unser, Jr. has contacted Patrick Racing about returning to CART competition.

Railbird
10-12-03, 10:59 AM
I hope it works out for AJ and Buddy.

whatever happened to Hoover Orsi?

he always impressed me in Atlantics

as far as I'm concerned Al and Dario are good if they somehow add to the car count.

RTKar
10-12-03, 11:41 AM
Al jr??? What's that all about? He may be good for a quote or two regarding being here, then going "there", and eventually coming back (maybe)...the hows and whys, all the politics involved... but he strikes me as a punch drunk boxer that doesn't know when to get out of the ring.

Warlock!
10-12-03, 12:11 PM
I think when Junior first went to the Earl he was under the impression that he was gonna romp on all the talentless hacks that were in the series at the time. Then all the guys that used to hand him his @ss in CART came over to the Earl and began to hand him his @ss all over again. Now that ChampCar is bringing in some questionable talent as well as some other new faces, he must think the field is watered-down enuf for him to get a sniff of the podium again.

If this is the case, I'd say he's f***ed.

Warlock!

mapguy
10-12-03, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
drunk

Of course this is the operative word here.

pchall
10-12-03, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Railbird

whatever happened to Hoover Orsi?

he always impressed me in Atlantics

as far as I'm concerned Al and Dario are good if they somehow add to the car count.

Hoover Orsi might be the second car that Fittipaldi-Dingman Racing wants to field next year.

BTW, would AU,Jr. add to the car count or just move the DCRwagons out from DFL?

Jonezzy_33
10-12-03, 01:57 PM
Al Jr. needs to call it a career after this season. He was awesome and the man in his day and it'd be interesting to see how he'd test, but c'mon...I have a feeling it wouldn't go well for him.

IlliniRacer
10-12-03, 07:25 PM
Would love to see Orsi get a ride. His battle with Hand a few years ago in Cleveland is still the best Atlantics race I've seen.

nrc
10-12-03, 07:39 PM
The only case where I would want to see Al Jr. back would be if it were clearly billed as the "Al Jr. Apology" tour. Let him come back and do interviews at every stop on the tour about how Champcar is what open wheel racing should be all about in America.

Let him talk about how he wanted to really drive a race car one last time before he retires. He could circulate at the back just as well as Boss and company and it would be worthwhile just for the lemming meltdowns.

Treeface
10-12-03, 11:25 PM
Barron is better than any of those guys. Allmendinger being the only one with an upside that would matter-- Yank star, F1 etc.

Jag_Warrior
10-12-03, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/1011/1636253.html

Dario Franchitti going to Newman-Haas in CART.

A.J. Allmendinger, funded by Carl Russo, but running out of Patrick Racing in CART.

Buddy Rice looking for a ride.

Al Unser, Jr. has contacted Patrick Racing about returning to CART competition.

Thanks for the link. Several nice things in that piece. I never knew anything about Jim McElreath - sounds almost like the story of Job. And Sarah Fisher being sponsored by Coke and Burger King? I won't even go there... the joke writes itself. :laugh: As long as it's not late at night and his car is coming toward me, I really don't care where Al Unser, Jr. goes. But if Dashley Franchitti came to Newman-Haas, who would be giving up their 2003 seat?

Based on the 2003 ratings, other than B2B deals, I'd be surprised to see any big sponsorship money going into the IRL. And after asking one company CEO why his company was in the IRL, and he said, "I didn't know we were!"... I expect at least one B2B deal to be history at season's end.

Hey Tony, I hope I helped ya out... ya bastage! :p

Napoleon
10-17-03, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Railbird

As of a few weeks ago Buddy had 2 offers on the table. Anyone interested e-mail me.

Classic Apex
10-17-03, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Jag_Warrior
But if Dashley Franchitti came to Newman-Haas, who would be giving up their 2003 seat?

Third car.

:cool:

Don Quixote
10-17-03, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Napoleon
As of a few weeks ago Buddy had 2 offers on the table. Anyone interested e-mail me.

Nappy, I just noticed the time of your post. :eek: Are you in Europe? :eek:

Napoleon
10-17-03, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote

No, good old North East Ohio

6:14 am DST - heck I had been up over an hour by then.

Turn7
10-17-03, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Don Quixote

If you don't select a time zone in your profile all times will be displayed as GMT.

Don Quixote
10-17-03, 03:48 PM
No, good old North East Ohio

6:14 am DST - heck I had been up over an hour by then.
Whew! I saw 4:14 am and I was thinking that was eastern time! Nevermind.

RaceChic
10-17-03, 07:44 PM
Al Unser, Jr???
That's going to cause a gomer meltdown. Him choosing to leave the EARL to come to CART???!!! :eek: :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
10-18-03, 12:59 AM

Are you talking about Buddy Rice, or Joey Hand?

Napoleon
10-18-03, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by SOG35
Are you talking about Buddy Rice, or Joey Hand?

Duh, Joey Hand, not Rice.